Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Stan The Man Lee

Had a great time hangin with CC and Julie at the con. Hitting up cons with CC is one of may favorite things as I really don't have any friends that dig/know comics on that level. We were mulling over huge cheap comics bins cracking wise and it's funny, I could pull out almost anything and CC either had it, read it, or knows enough about it to make some sort of joke. Good times. That and wondering how we would feel about certain comic covers were the genders of the people on said covers reversed. Fucking hilarious

"I don't know if I need a robin figure or not."

"you don't need a Robin figure."

"ok."

Pics to come later tonight

He was great but it's so quick.

Note to self: don't stay up til 2 a.m. pounding beers and playing Injustice: Gods Among Us online on Con's Eve. Although that was mad fun, it's really hard to ring the bell Saturday morning.

So, this con was fucked from the word go, I'll go ahead and say it. I don't think they considered the sheer volume of people showing up. It was a madhouse at 9:30 am. Advanced ticket holders were supposed to get dibs on wristbands at 9 while the doors opened at 10:30. But the ADV line was around the building and going nowhere fast. Took about 2 hours just do get in the damn doors. MCC at Novi Expo center was never that bad. I was high as fuck and hungover so it was cool to see all the cosplayers and freaks.

Finally get inside, get a much needed piss and wait in another line for Stan The Man. The line was moving really good until he took a break, then it was something akin to misery. But once he came back it flew by.

So I get up to see Stan. He's right in front of me. I am a mess, I have my hands full of stuff, and they tell me I have the wrong tickets. Holy fuck. I was supposed to take my printed tickets and redeem them at the front for Stan tickets. I was deflated, defeated. Very professional dude at the helm says go get your tix, get right back here to the front of the line, you shall pass.

Holy fuck, this means I have to strong arm my way all the way back across the whole Con to Square 1 and back. I went Supa Sayin Im Just Sayin and it's fucking assholes to elbows y'all. Fucking thick. And I will tell you, I went all OJ Simpson on those motherfuckers. I am sure I did some things I was not proud of. One man had beef but he got dropped.

So

BACK TO THE FRONT!!!!!!

P5180237small.jpg

Can't wait to frame this for the office.

Made my way over to Yanick Paquette, working on a watercolor all by his lonesome. I had him sign mah Swamp Things

P5180239small.jpg

We had a great discussion on DC editorial edict and how things had to look more like JLA and given the free thinker that he is I could tell he was not entirely on board. Shoulda had him do a sketch

David Lloyd

P5180240small.jpg

P5180241small.jpg

Really shoulda had him do a sketch. Man is legend. He was so personable with each fan, his small line moved slow but he took his time with each one. Except me. I'm an in/out kind of guy. I have my regrets. Shoulda got a John Constantine sketch for a tenner.

Tony Moore. http://tonymooreillustration.com/

Artist who drew the 1st 6 issues of Walking Dead.

P51802372small.jpg

P5180238smell.jpg

I was spent. Figured I'd go all the way back to the con AGAIN. To get my man's JH. Short line, no worries, but the clown in font of me is like "DRR I Liek zawmbies 2 haw!" Step aside, man. Not errbody got time for that. So when they break loose Tony Moore, he knows the score, he says thanks for waiting. I said no problem, man, would you sign my stuff? I said I really like the work you did on this title. Matter of fact I like it better...he knew what I meant. I prefer him to Charlie Adlard and I think there's some bad blood there.

But man it was a marathon. Can't say I'd go back and do that agin.

Oh and I scored this for a friend on another forum.

P5180237.jpg

Lou was crazy to stand in line like that all day! I woke up at 11:00 in the morning, took Julie to lunch, and drove to the con, nice and leisurely like.

The con was messed up, with them not planning for the popularity of Stan Lee and holding it in a too small venue. I had to wait in line to get into the convention center parking lot. I had to wait in line the whole way around the convention building to get in to the convention center. Then, the convention center was packed. You couldn't even buy a beverage, because the lines were so long. I was sick of waiting in line by that point!

Me and Julie found a vendor's table somewhere near the front and decided we might stay there the entire time to avoid the crowds. After staring at Western Ghost Rider and Black Panther vs. Ku Klux Klan comics for long enough, things improved when we met up with Lou.

Now, my favourite moment was Lou reminding me of what Battlebeasts were. I hadn't thought about those damn toys in forever, and I had completely forgotten their name, but Lou remembered all about them.

So, yeah, I wasn't going to be standing in any more lines. I just grabbed some random comics from the 50cent bins, just so I could say that I didn't spend all that money to get in and have nothing to show for it.

Lou just wouldn't quit. He'd been there in the morning, then when Julie and I decided to take off, Lou was still going to go after two more autographs.

Lou-Julie got a picture of that giant Thor too. The guy was still wandering around the convention with that thing.

Watch. I said that about Lou standing in line all morning for Lee's autograph, and Lee will die next week, and his final autogrraph will skyrocket to a million bucks, and Lou will cash in and go buy some island somewhere....Then, I'll be kicking for myself for enjoying my sleep and trying to save my tired old legs!

Hahaha the dudes running the Stan signing were pissed at Giant Sized Thor cause it was so tough getting that thing in and around.

Lou was crazy to stand in line like that all day!

Never again. Stan The Man was a once in a life time opportunity, I felt. But never again. Ever.

Lou just wouldn't quit. He'd been there in the morning, then when Julie and I decided to take off, Lou was still going to go after two more autographs.

And I only managed to get one of them!!!

Honestly CC I don't recall the Novi Expo Center ever being as bad as that one! Of course, a dud that went Sunday said there were no problems.

Yeah, I've been to, I want to say, six Motor City Comic Cons spread throughout the years....the last one I went to was four years ago.

It was never anything like that. Usually, you just go right in, buy your ticket, no problem.

Stan Lee is, perhaps, the only name big enough to flood a Detroit convention. Maybe if Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, or Grant Morrison showed up? Dunno.

People were walking for two miles down the road to their cars, because they parked way up the road from the center, instead of waiting in the line to get in to the parking lot. If I had to do that, I wasn't going to go. I waited in line to get into the parking lot.

Holy heck, True Believers, that is some dedication. Plus, I thought "What what what?. Lou has a mint number 15?".

I can't be happy in crowds of people like that, but if I was standing in a line with interesting people to talk to, I could maybe deal with it. At least until they had decided I was not interesting in turn I suppose.

I have seen photographic evidence of a man with a mint AF 15 at that show. And the silly bugger wanted it signed on the inside cover. WTF? Can't display it and if you wanted to see it you had to handle it. Made no sense.

But the crowds were miserable Avaunt, and you would have hated it.

hahahaha

Dear Motor City Comic Con fans,

Thank you so much for making the 2013 Motor City Comic Con our largest and most successful to date. Over 30,000+ fans came through the doors over the three-day period and we appreciate each and every one of you for attending.

With that said, we would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for the long wait times at our convention, particularly on Saturda...y. We just never expected 18,000+ people to attend that day, which was the same amount of people we had over the entire three days last year. We were literally hit with a “Humanity Bomb” and were not prepared for the sheer number of people attending, even with a large increase in our staff. The entire MCCC staff worked non-stop to move everyone in as fast as possible, which we realize wasn't fast enough.

Given that we had every one of our employees and volunteers working diligently to get attendees in quickly , we were unable to respond to the multiple e-mails and social media messages alerting us of the issues you were having. Next year we will plan to have one person dedicated to e-mail and social media communication to better serve attendee's needs.

We learned some valuable lessons this year and are already working hard to prevent these issues from happening again. We have already been in talks with Showplace management to begin working on solutions for 2014, which will be the 25th anniversary of the Motor City Comic Con. We truly hope you will accept our sincere apologies for any delays or inconveniences you may have experienced and will come back next year, as it will be better than ever. Sincerely,

Michael Goldman,

Founder of the Motor City Comic Con

Are you sure it wasn't a fascimile copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, Lou?

I had heard there were no mint copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 anymore. And, I doubt a collector would take that risk. Having Stan Lee* autograph a copy of your mint copy comic actually lowers the value. Considering the book is already worth over one million dollars, why would you risk that?

*Or anyone else, not just Stan Lee. ha

If Motor City Comic Con ever has an insanely popular creator at their show again, I'll make damn sure to not show up.

I don't wait in lines anyway, so I'd rather have lower tier guests and not worry about the crowds, than have a mega-star show up, and have to deal with that.

You are more than likely correct CC.

I only saw a pic of it from a dude I just met on another forum so it's not like I saw it 1st hand.

Hey, Lou? Guess what? This was actually a pretty good comic.

14843655856.5.gif

Lou had a good time making fun of this cover. I picked it up for 50 cents, and the covers are laughable.

I have no idea what Marvel was thinking was the ponytail! It was from 1995, even. Not quite as bad as Superman's mullet, I wouldn't say, but it did the son of Mar-Vell era no favours.

But, the story wasn't bad at all. The Celestials have a prison set up for gods who overstep their authority. A planet commits suicide because their god is gone. Captain Marvel frees the alien god. Sort of like current Thor, except the writing isn't exactly at that level. Fabian Niceza wrote it.

Hey, Lou? Guess what? This was actually a pretty good comic.

14843655856.5.gif

Lou had a good time making fun of this cover. I picked it up for 50 cents, and the covers are laughable.

I have no idea what Marvel was thinking was the ponytail! It was from 1995, even. Not quite as bad as Superman's mullet, I wouldn't say, but it did the son of Mar-Vell era no favours.

But, the story wasn't bad at all. The Celestials have a prison set up for gods who overstep their authority. A planet commits suicide because their god is gone. Captain Marvel frees the alien god. Sort of like current Thor, except the writing isn't exactly at that level. Fabian Niceza wrote it.

Haha that is awesome, CC! It really pleases me to no end.

I wonder how a comic convention would deal with a gang turning up and holding people up for their comics?.

Stranger things have happened.

Please tell me that people leapt ( larpt ) to his aid with foam swords, it isn't a complete perfection with it.

It was one of the enduring images of John Varleys book "Demon", was "cost cutting/movie director insanity" measures by the Big Bad leads the "good guys" to have to attack a horde of their opponents in a sword and armour battle, where X number of the opponents attacking them have been armoured in cardboard and armed with foam/chipboard weapons. The good guys are in tears while having to cut down every one of them because "maybe" this one swinging a "sword" is armed with steel, not styrofoam.

I wonder how a comic convention would deal with a gang turning up and holding people up for their comics?.

Stranger things have happened.

Pretty sure people would die.

Well, yeah, but what i meant was more, how would they then deal with future cons. If recent events are example, over-reacting would be probable

Honestly you want to know what thought crept in the back of my mind? A bombing. No lie. I thought, if someone were to detonate a crude bomb in here, thousands of people packed asshole to elbow, trampling each other to death in fear, would not be a good thing. And it could have happened very very easily. No bag checks, metal detectrs, things like that. Lots of backpacks. 18,000 people passed through there on Saturday alone.

Yep, it often crosses my mind at our main train station in the city. Only two ways in or out, during the rush there are rediculously huge lines of people coming and going up quite steep stairs and quite narrow escalators, and it wouldn't be the bomb that killed the majority, but the rush of chubby office workers piling down onto the students piling up the stairs.

Actually, it is a comfort that our civilisations enemies are so stupid. They have never actually thought these things through with any really inventive people. There are dozens of ways to destroy public confidence, and given that the authorities attention is on bomb materials and guns, using them is just fucking stupid.

So, looking through comic guests for Motor City Comic Con 2014, I see that Chris freakin' Claremont is going to be there! The man who got me hooked on comics with his X-Men run!

J.M. DeMatteis....one of my top ten favourite comic writers of all time!

Gerry Conway...The man I go to bat for more times for his writing than anyone, it seems. I always found his work a lot of fun in the 1970s....I think he has under-rated runs on books like Fantastic Four, that most people don't appreciate.

Plus, Bill Sienkiewicz....one of the best artists to ever grace the pages of comics.

That's quite a line-up of people I'd like to meet.

I wonder how popular Claremont will be? He hasn't been popular in a long time in comics.

Also, Will Shatner is the special guest. I have no idea how popular Shatner is, he's a pretty big star. Will his popularity be anything like Stan Lee? Because, the con was insane last year. There's no reason to even go if it's that over-crowded.

Oh, and Bret Hart is going to be there, from pro wrestling. That's a pretty big name for pro wrestling. He was one of the biggest stars during the mid-1990s.

So, would I even be able to meet any of these guys if I went, or would the lines be too crazy?