Ohaname

Hellblazer #51

Hi, sorry for a horribly rude first post. I have honestly been a lurker for around a decade, if that counts for anything.

My GF digs the hellblazer trades I have, and I was describiing issue 51 to her, and can't find a version anywjere. Since it's not collected, or likeley to be, would it be such a big crime to link me to a version of that issue somehow? It really is the quintisential issue for me, everything you need to know about the character is summed up in that one.

Thanks, and I dig if this is not cool.

Hi Ohaname, welcome to the forum. You're not being rude at all.

I think someone posted a link somwhere about all 300 copies of Hellblazer being made available online. Should be a good place to start.

And by all means join in, no need to just lurk!

I also found this link explaining why this reader feels that Hellblazer #51 was the best issue ever of Hellblazer. I wouldn't go that far.

There are some issues by Jamie Delano that beat it, surely.

It was easily the best "fill-in" story, and it does rank as one of my favourites.

I was surprised that Andy Diggle's run was supposed to be so great. I guess I spend all my time here. I thought the consensus was that the first story was pretty good, but then it became a re-run, and kept going downhill.

http://mindlessones....€™s-best-issue/

A damn fine issue. I would have liked to see Smith do more with the book (certainly in preference to yer Careys and Diggles), especially given his comment in the post linked above -

I think Constantine does work best when he’s grounded in more mundane situations rather than fighting demons and angels and all those naff horror tropes…

And if you do digital stuff and have 99c to spare -

http://www.comixology.com/Hellblazer-51/digital-comic/ICO001055

That was always what I wanted to see more of in Hellblazer, as well. (Something I was mocked for from time to time on this very forum, I might add!)

No chance of that now in the high-octane, low-thinking world of Constantine...but, I digress.

Smith had very little work published in America. Quality Comics republished his New Statesmen series, there was one issue of HB, the Scarab mini-series (which I didn't like), and a story in X-Men Unlimited. That was it.

I was surprised that Andy Diggle's run was supposed to be so great. I guess I spend all my time here. I thought the consensus was that the first story was pretty good, but then it became a re-run, and kept going downhill.

No that was not the consensus here.

There is only one consensus here and that is that Hellblaxer ended at 250, and so did Hellblazer.

That's two consensuses. No more.

• Upvote 2

If it wasn't for 250 being such an amazing issue, we could have cut out the Diggle run, since it mostly just contradicts Jenkins superior issues.

Then, you might as well get rid of Mina, for being inconsequential.

Darn. If only it weren't for #250...

That is crazy thinking. You can't undo the past.

Just be grateful that they ended it at 250.

(Also Diggle's run made one mistake, which was the Golden Child stuff, his Constantine in a smart suit was way better than kiddy fiddler Constantine and PG Constantine)

• Upvote 1

That is crazy thinking. You can't undo the past.

Just be grateful that they ended it at 250.

(Also Diggle's run made one mistake, which was the Golden Child stuff, his Constantine in a smart suit was way better than kiddy fiddler Constantine and PG Constantine)

THIS, GODDAMMIT!

If it wasn't for 250 being such an amazing issue, we could have cut out the Diggle run, since it mostly just contradicts Jenkins superior issues.

Then, you might as well get rid of Mina, for being inconsequential.

Darn. If only it weren't for #250...

Only the Dalton-Brewster bit. We have to remember that in Jenkins' run the chracter himself served as a substitute for one Roger "Piggy" Huntoon who we never saw again after #7

Historical revisionism is best when working to create perfection.

If it were up to me, we'd have 40 issues of Hellblazer and 1 annual. If it weren't for Smith's issue, this would be possible.

It's why I've always regretted Dick Foreman's story being published at the wrong point. Smith's story belongs in the Delano era, then I can pretend the rest never happened.

Not a very lengthy series, no. But a series that can stand up to the very best comic series ever written.

Hey Ohaname, as Atticus pointed out you can buy a (dirt cheap) digital version here.

^ Is issue 51 buy.

No that was not the consensus here.

There is only one consensus here and that is that Hellblaxer ended at 250, and so did Hellblazer.

That's two consensuses. No more.

Ade, I am very glad you exist.