Sign in to follow this  
St. Apathy

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

So, that was a good one.

I find the Captain America films most enjoyable of the fractured Marvel universe, despite not being a major fan of that universe to start with (I can dream that recently announced reboot of the Fantastic 4 movie is so they can do FF and an Alred inspired Silver Surfer).

Straight into the action with an estabilised Black Widow / Captain America set piece

but shouldn't Batroc have a preposterous moustache?

appropriate levels of flashback are used as you'll know if you know the Winter Soldier story (I only knew the basic spolier)

and I had successfully avoided details, so

the impact of the Falcon arriving was great.

His character has a very appropriate grounding.

Shame if they don't have him in the Avengers Ultron film.

The action is really very good. You'll believe a super soldier can do super soldiery stuff.

And yeah, I like the fact that a soldier with Steve Rogers' power can basically not trust his supposed generals and majors and the politicians behind them.

Huge flying machines that look real enough and crash in slow motion so fights can take place.

The classic comic book "My Best Friend Has Become My Enemy" that has not grown tired in the movies yet.

A hot red head kicking ass.

There was a hubhub among the comics fans in the audience at those now traditional post-credit revelations.

You kids probably already know.

Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch appear

in Hydra captivity.

I absolutely endorse the post above this.

Best Comic Book Movie.

Really good acting. Totally loved the new guy, his "civilian" character MORE than his Suited character.

All I can say is :icon_gun_m: :icon_gun_m: :icon_gun_m: :icon_gun_m: :icon_gun_m::icon_gun_2: :icon_gun_2: :icon_gun_2: :icon_gun_2: :icon_gun_2::blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That movie went so hard, they nailed everything.

Also

so the KGB was infiltrated by HYDRA as much as SHIELD, huh?

A+ film with the exception of Scarlet Johanson (probably didn't spell that right, and definitely don't give a fuck).

So glad they ditched the pajama suit of Avengers.

Falcon was bad ass.

Good action scenes.

Not sure how they are gonna handle that end spoiler dealio.

Astute observation, Vagabond.

Oh and the Winter Soldier's scenes were mega bad ass

I'd like to echo what y'all have said. Fantastic entertainment.

Things I loved:

FALCON!!!

Nurse next door

REDFORD!!

Scarlett's "assets"

Dead best friend

Cap getting his motivational speech on

Awesome fights!

Espionage!

Batroc....whaaat?!?

So many well done Easter Eggs, there were kids roaming the theatre with baskets.

Elevator scene. Before we get started would anybody like to get off?

Also, the mention of one unspecified doctor.

It was quite good, by which I mean Marvel's best offering yet.

Scarlet does Black Widow much better as a stoic than as a friendly sort who makes jokes, though.

• Upvote 1

I loved very nearly everything about it. One of the better action films I've seen in the past few years, and way smarter than it really had any right being. Just the right balance of character and spectacle, well-paced, sincere without being po-faced, gritty without being cynical, and funny without being too silly (all of which are things that a lot of recent superhero films seem to have struggled with to a greater or lesser extent).

Best bit for me was probably the bit where Cap tells Natasha - in all sincerity - to get her feet off the dashboard of the car they've hotwired, because they're only borrowing it. And she does.

• Upvote 1

Best bit for me was probably the bit where Cap tells Natasha - in all sincerity - to get her feet off the dashboard of the car they've hotwired, because they're only borrowing it. And she does.

For me that's a pure Captain America moment.

Also, in that same scene I loved the "I'm 95 years old, I'm not dead."

I thought they did a fantastic job showcasing that Cap is a soldier and a leader, he fights for what's good and true, so the whole shadowy spy world is a foreign concept to him. He may not like it, but he needs Black Widow & Fury (to a lesser extant) to guide his through it, no matter how murky it gets. Which is why this version of the Falcon is such fantastic partner for him. He's a fellow soldier, he'd rather be out there fighting on the front lines than hide in the shadows.

So the new-great-movie-tingles have worn off and I've begun to see the cracks.

So far its one crack, really, and it is that Natasha didn't seem to have thought or be able to filter out her own past, so she must have not filtered out anything. Literally everything SHIELD had is in the open, including the identities of people the good side of SHIELD was trying to protect, and the identities of people currently embedded in various groups of bad people.

yeah, see, I liked it. It was definitely entertaining, but I have no desire at all to see it again. I watched Avengers 3 times in the theater and 3 more when it came out on DVD, just as a measurement of enjoyment. It was very smart, but often smart films have big reveals that once revealed take away much of the thrill of seeing it again. Am I alone in thinking this, not necessarily about this movie but other similarly crafted films?

I never read Winter Soldier, so my question is: [ Spoiler : was the Winter Soldier Bucky in the comic, too? ]

I really enjoyed that. I enjoyed it quite a lot more than I did the first Captain America movie, not the least because this story inserted a bit of ambiguity and realism, where the first film was over-the-top American Hero Fights Evil Baddies.

There are some major plotholes though*, but it was sufficiently well-made that I was able to overlook them while I was watching. Not having read the comic, the film even had some nice surprises.

(*)

The main plothole was the ludicrousness of HYDRAs plan. Three flying aircraftcarriers to take over the world? Really? How long after those three start randomly massacring American civilians before they're gunned out of the sky by cruise missiles? How long before China, Russia or anyone else really descends on them like a trailer full of sledgehammers? And where was the American military and policeforce in all this? There were outright prolonged gunfights straight in the middle of Washington DC, blocks from the President of the USA, and not a cop or soldier in sight? Give me a break.

• Upvote 1

The hydra guy who lived in a computer sort of put me off. loved redford as a bad guy though.

The ad for the DVD totally gives away the movie's biggest spoiler. I couldn't believe it.

The ad for the DVD totally gives away the movie's biggest spoiler. I couldn't believe it.

Link?

a spoilery fan vid using Lorde's version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

I know, it seems like Everybody Want to Use This Song but this works well

Link?

it's on primetime tv every night. i thought you guys got US tv over there now.

I'd simply never watch TV if I lived in the US. I'd go crazy if I had to endure adverts every bloody 15 minutes.

It's awful. I don't ever watch tv shows as they are being aired. hell, before I knew you could download shows I didn't watch tv period. in fact, i think it was game of thrones that got me watching tv again. but I download every show i watch (or DVR them) and never see a commercial. i hate the nonstop ad blitz that has become american entertainment.

i know a guy who won't watch trailers.he went with us to see the Avengers when it was still in the theater (my 2nd or 3rd time to see it). before the movie started when they did the trailers for movies coming soon, he closed his eyes and plugged his ears with his fingers saying "tap me when they're done" and stayed like that until all of them were over.