JohnMcMahon

Papa Midnight

So he's going to be Brother Voodoo's retarded gimp, then?

• Upvote 1

You mean this guy?

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/blacktalonbv.htm

You know, it just occured to me that the "New 52" is basically Marvel's Ultimate universe at this point. "Will that character you know and love from the DCU show up? What will he be like in this world? Will he be subtly changed, so that everyone recognizes him, but long time readers notice that there have been some changes?".

I don't think that's what they were originally going for.

• Upvote 1

Why does absolutely every character have to be skinny? I liked the heft of the original/real Papa Midnite. It really suited him.

• Upvote 1

Why does absolutely every character have to be skinny? I liked the heft of the original/real Papa Midnite. It really suited him.

Because slash writers are now an important demographc.

• Upvote 1

The really terrible thing is that when you look at who reads comics since the speculator boom of the '90s ended, that's probably true.

• Upvote 1

The diet market has moved to embrace males, and not just females.

They need to break down the PG barrier, so they can show stick thin males with giant packages, to go along with the anorexic females with gigantic breasts.

Also though, professional wrestling has seen a similar change. You see, the media is looking down on steroids. All those jacked superheroes and villains you remember from the early-90s have deflated considerably as the risks of steroids and cracking down on providers have proliferated.

That's right kids. All the heroes you remember so fondly from the early-90s, with their rippling muscles, they were all on the juice! Every one of them. That's also why they behaved so violently.

Also though, professional wrestling has seen a similar change. You see, the media is looking down on steroids. All those jacked superheroes and villains you remember from the early-90s have deflated considerably as the risks of steroids and cracking down on providers have proliferated.

That's right kids. All the heroes you remember so fondly from the early-90s, with their rippling muscles, they were all on the juice! Every one of them. That's also why they behaved so violently.

I gotta admit, there were times in the 90's when I wondered if the muscle-bound guys could scratch their own backs.

we're in the midst of an obesity epidemic Red. We can't have characters mirroring the readers, that would be bad! (but I agree with you)

Hmmm. I like it but don't at the same time. I'm indifferent. But I'm now curious to actually check this out.

Constantine #4-I....I actually sort of enjoyed this issue.

I had to check it out at the store to see how bad the new Papa Midnite was going to end up being, and it was easily the best story in this series so far.

It still has problems. It's no Hellblazer, but some gleams of the Hellblazer comic were to be found.

(The Bad)

Of course, there's one scene with Zatanna telling John that he'll be shaking hands with Lex Luthor soon, and that just does not sound promising.

Plus, John getting into a fight again....It wasn't that bad, but still....

(The Good)

The scene where John ends up robbing the guy was pretty funny though. I liked that scene a great deal.

The fleshing out of John's and Zatanna's relationship (although brief) was well done and made it seem like a believable aspect of John's history, for once.

(The OK)

So, Papa Midnite's new look....Not so good....But, it actually wasn't a bad version of Midnite. There was a pretty messed up scene with Midnite that was really damn graphic for a DC book.

I'm not going to start reading this again, but this issue wasn't really so bad.

(The Bad, part II)

The biggest flaw with the book is that John has basically superhero magic now. "Oh, you want to shoot me with a gun, do you? Well, I cast a magic mirror gun reflection crossover spell this morning, so the joke's on you! Try to shoot me, and the bullet will actually hit you, yeah guv?". That's about at the point it's getting now. John gets into a bind, and well, lo and behold, he cast the right spells to get him out of the jam. It's not about wit or outsmarting your opponent, it's the fact that there's a stupid bloody spell for every occasion in this book.

(The Strange)

Oh yeah, and Zatanna is drawn as Asian, I think. She never had big dragon tattoos on her arms before, did she? What was the deal?

The Cold Flame people went after Midnite to retrieve a relic he was supposed to have in his possession.

Midnite said he wasn't worried about that lame Cold Flame cult, and showed that he had taken care of the two operatives who had been sent to kill him.

He had chopped one of them in two, and used his Voodoo Zombie powers to keep the half a body alive.

The scene was graphic too, as it show entrails hanging from the half a body, there was a big blood smear on the wall behind where the half a body was hanging, and a big machete knife was laying on the floor covered in dried blood.

yeah, i wasn't real impressed. Saying this was the beststory so far is like saying the crack whore with the fewest face scabs is the prettiest crack whore.

I quite liked it.

Not to the extent that I am going to buy it any time soon.

Main criticism: As Christian says, Constanteen's application of magic is rather like the magic of Harry Potter. All names and magical magic. No cons.

Things I didn't like:

Superheroes. Zatanna as more evidence that this is Doctor Strange for the DCU.

At least there were fewer, but we know what's coming.

Things I liked: "Ringo" :-)

The talking bird. Subtle.

Graphic violence. Supporting cast with real interactions.

A stunning amount of nothing happened in this ish.

Sigh.

I'm really considering dropping the series. The writing is so superficial, John's pulling shit out that we didn't see happen ("I already cast an 'I'm smarter than you spell!") which is how the poor writer writesd smart. If Trinity Wars is a huge pile of crap, I'm considering just stepping off.

yeah, i wasn't real impressed. Saying this was the beststory so far is like saying the crack whore with the fewest face scabs is the prettiest crack whore.

She is the prettiest crack whore, though.

:shrug: