A. Heathen

10th of May (and weekend)

Glad everybody's having a good weekend. You can tell Mark's been on the sauce already if he's wearing a tie with a black shirt...

:tongue:

I hate the fact that I'm stuck here in a sweaty negotiation room while you're having the Straight to Hell meeting of the decade. Curse you, fates! Curse you to hell!

Take solace in the fact that you're busy fighting the good fight.

You can tell Mark's been on the sauce already if he's wearing a tie with a black shirt...

Three points occur:

- A tie with a black shirt is completely acceptable. You probably want to go for a nice bold single colour for contrast, but that's not a hard and fast rule. I like to co-ordinate the tie with something else, for cohesiveness and pretention (in this case I was sporting a rather fetching shade of purple nail varnish), but that's largely down to personal preference.

- I appreciate that this isn't clear from that photo, but the shirt I was wearing wasn't actually black in any case. It was a dark blue with a light dotted pattern. The suit wasn't black either (charcoal grey, as you were clearly wondering), but it was dark so the colours aren't clear.

- Shut up. :-P

Fun times were had, good beer drunk and good food eaten. Especially nice to meet Metanoia, who is (a) a thoroughly lovely bloke and (b) a lot more talkative in person than he is online. Good to meet Rohne again too, this time on his home turf.

Oh, and Ade was there too I suppose. ;-)

Tomorrow morning is Ade's Hellblazer Tour Of London, to which I am rather looking forward. So, I should probably go to sleep now.

You can tell Mark's been on the sauce already if he's wearing a tie with a black shirt...

Three points occur:

- A tie with a black shirt is completely acceptable

I like to think he was observing that, while some people are known to lose clothes periodically when getting drunk, often resulting in full nakedness - a level of dress that you have shown to embrace - you look increasingly dapper as the evening wears on. Good work, I fully approve.

Looks like a good evening was had by all.

• Upvote 1

It was an absolute pleasure to meet some fellow forumites this weekend. Thanks very much Ade for arranging that walk, it was extremely interesting and has piqued my interest to discover more of the not so everyday London. I shall also more than likely revisit that pub again, the finest selection of ales I’ve ever seen outside of a beer festival, mighty tasty and on the walk back to the station I feel a tad alcoholic.

It’s a shame that not more people could make it. Maybe next time, and I hope that’s soon.

I shall now try and be more of a poster and less of a lurker.

• Upvote 3

was an excellent pub and better company! Was great to meet Meta, Rhone, Mark, and Malin (with friend Paul), and see Ade again! Really helped reset my jet lag well too. Must do this again!

Good to meet Rohne again too, this time on his home turf.

You went to South Africa?? :ohmy:

• Upvote 1

You are aware that Rohne lives in London, aren't you?

(Actually, given that post you presumably aren't, unless you're making an uncharacteristically poor joke :-) So, til info...Rohne lives in London, which makes it his home turf in a way that Edinburgh - where I met him with JasonT last year - isnt).

It was just a poor joke. Sorry about that. The raging jealousy still clouds my mind.

• Upvote 1

Also, I should probably second Metanoia's "thank you" to Ade for his excellent suggestion of the tour of Bermondsey-Rotherhithe, which was fascinating and a lot of fun. I've never really thought of taking that sort of guided walking tour when visiting London, but if there are others of similar quality - which there apparently are - that's tourism schedule for my semi-frequent visits to London nicely packed for the foreseeable future.

Also, with Bilirubin and Metanoia added to the roster of StHers I've met in person, the list of those who were anything less than (a) pretty much exactly as they present themselves online and (b) absolutely lovely to spend time with has been updated to a nice round zero. Either I've been lucky or - and I choose to believe the latter - we've managed to amass a splendid selection of fine upstanding forumites around these parts.

Really? Because you said I was taller on the forum. :tongue:

And I was upstanding at the time.

"Standing", yes, but as I recall it "up" would be a bit on the generous side.

How jealous do you expect Jason would be were I to describe this morning's breakfast Mark? :D

But holy christ would it kill you all to turn up the thermostat a bit? I am packed for seasonal, not winter. Had to go buy an extra jumper, the one I brought is starting to demand voting rights.

the list of those who were anything less than (a) pretty much exactly as they present themselves online and (b) absolutely lovely to spend time with has been updated to a nice round zero. Either I've been lucky or - and I choose to believe the latter - we've managed to amass a splendid selection of fine upstanding forumites around these parts.

pretty much have to agree with this! StH makes the world a smaller place.

speaking of which, hoping our official leprechaun will make a showing next meet up!

Well, I wasn't that pleased to see you.

I'm honoured to at least be worthy of a semi.

Not really. I just figured I should throw you a bone.

... StH makes the world a smaller place.

speaking of which, hoping our official leprechaun will make a showing next meet up!

Hmm. Do you mean me or JMac? :sherlock:

How jealous do you expect Jason would be were I to describe this morning's breakfast: Mark

Fixed the punctuation for you.

So apropos of this weekend past I noted Newcastle during my ride north. Was really surprised at how attractive it was! I guess I expected it to be a giant junkyard or something

According to Stephen Fry on an old QI "Newcastle is the largest UK city without a red-light district.......it doesn't need one"

Did you see the Angel Of The North from the train? Impressive, but smaller than you expect.