Sign in to follow this  
A.M.M.

Jamie Delano's Solo Novel

I read it and enjoyed it. Definitely worth picking up. If you follow Delano on Twitter you'll see that the main character is largely based on himself, hopefully his real life is slightly less eventful.

Thanks for the link, AMM. Too bad the book's not available in Australia. I'll have to pick up a copy next year.

I know Rogan got to read a copy. He probably discussed it in the Books You Are Reading thread...but, it'd be buried somewhere in there.

It's hard to find. I don't see any copies on Amazon, although there is a Kindle edition (for those with Kindle).

I'll eventually get around to getting a copy.

Not to take away from this discussion, but Neil Gaiman's new book should be available very soon also.

Yep. Little did we all realize that all these years, the guy we loved on Hellblazer had also been the writer on classic texts such as The Varieties of Religious Experience....and the brother of Gothic master Henry, no less (pen name for Rory Delano, natch). Who knew?

• Upvote 1

I really liked it. It's difficult to properly discuss without spoilers, but the prose is (of course) wonderful and the content is darkly hilarious. The plot reminded me a bit of the film Adaptation, if I can say that without spoiling anything. Which I think I can. It interrogates the life/inspiration connection really well, and makes it a far more interesting relationship than a lot of similar stories. I honestly can't decide whether I preferred the mundane stuff or the less-so - which is pretty much exactly what I'd say about Delano's Hellblazer stories. And the autobiographical aspect is impossible to ignore, but also quite problematically handled, which keeps it interesting.

It's really good. Single-handedly justified my Kindle ownership, since having the book delivered to NZ was prohibitively expensive, and being able to impulse-buy this as I left the house one day really showed the power of the device.

I'll definitely be reading it again. None of my other words about this really mean much, so focus on these ones. It's really good.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it is a really nifty, personal book. He published a couple more, I think?

Just "Leepus: Dizzy." It was good; not anywhere near as personal as Book Thirteen (it was kind of Delano's take on Mad Max and Transmetropolitan), but there were still some pretty identifiable connections between the two. He really does pour his obsessions onto the page.

I keep thinking I should review it or something*; it doesn't seem to have sold very well. I rated it on Goodreads about three months after it came out, and mine was the only rating.

Come to think of it, I even got an email from Jamie himself, thanking me for the purchase and hoping I enjoyed it. Possibly automated, but it had a typo, so probably not. Perhaps I'd fed him that night.

*I read the first chapters several times, and felt compelled to try and record an audio version, since the prose is glorious. But then the dialogue showed up and was very, very dialect-y