Shawn

Image Comics

Didn't you at least like the theme music? Oh, wait. Wrong Starman.

Dog is so right. I had the exact same reaction as you after reading the first TPB. I thought it was incredibly over-rated.

Luckily, I had the rest of the series available for free thanks to Rogan, so I kept reading.

It gets so much better. The Shade is such a great character.

Oh man sure did love Starman with Jeff Bridges

I'll have to give it another go. Add it to the never ending list

Why do I suddenly feel like I've caused a traffic accident?

Starman is a fucking amazing series.

If those fucking idiots were not rebooting their comics like an arse full of senna, they'd know.

*My attempt to fit in with you negative types.

Very much enjoying Ted McKeever's Pencil Head, a comical semi auto biographical and mostly true accounting of his adventures in the comic industry.

Just gone through the first issue of Renato Jones: The One % (which should really be "the 1%" or "The One Percent", but somebody has a bit of a typography fetish), which was surprisingly good. Nice idea and some glorious artwork. Much more fun than that silly "The Dark SpiderKnight Returns" thing Kaare Andrews did a while back at Marvel, even if there's quite a thin story. I was a bit annoyed that the protagonist has been given a fucked up backstory to make his vocation for killing super rich exploiters look more comics antihero schtick and less like a moral decision, but that's a pretty minor niggle, really.

You know what? I read that one too! The writing wasn't exactly subtle....I wish that there was a better writer on the book. The idea is great. Marvel's new Nighthawk is charting these same sorts of waters, and is better written, but this one stands out as an even better idea.

I didn't mind the fucked up back-story, so much, because this is an alternative take on Batman or the Punisher. Rather than using his wealth to fight criminals because his rich parents were killed by criminals, or rather than turning into a Right-Wing vigilante after his family was killed by criminals, the guy uses his wealth to kill the wealthy elite who are above the law, because his life was ruined by the greed of his super-rich family.

Warren Ellis' blurb about the Punisher emerging from the Occupy movement was pretty apt.

Oh god, yes, this is so much better than Kaare Andrew's Dark Knight Spider Man future story....That was one of the worst comics I had read since the glory days of Howard Mackie and Chuck Austen. I'm sorry you even had to remind me of that.

The backstory just looked like a cursory nod to superhero origin stories, to be honest. I don't think it really added anything to the story, it was just there. Most of what looked interesting about it (is he actually the same kid or not?) was cleared up by the first flashback before Andrews even went into the rest of that.

(Also, the fact that the rich shit who the protagonist has words with turns out to be a serial killer with a torture chamber in his panic room could be seen as over egging the pudding a little as well, come to that.)

Cry Havoc by Si Spurrier is another winner from Image.

It's a mix of The Wicked and the Divine (but not as annoying), something Ales Kot would write, and Spurrier's run on X-Force. Now, that last may not sound like high praise, but it's Spurrier. He's a good writer.

Nicely politically relevant.

Beautiful covers!

Sure did love Pencil Head by Ted McKeever. Such a shame he is stepping away from sequential art (for a while, I'd imagine). I would love to read more of this stuff and I now he has more stories to tell. Met him at MCCC twice and he is a cool dude. Also wish I wold have taken up a sketch as he stopped doing full figure 8x11 anymore. Would love for him to do Alice Cooper for me, but I will liekly get one of his new 5x5s

Black Monday Murders #1-Dear lord! What a masterpiece of a first issue! If you care, at all, about politics in comic books (plus some of the occult), you absolutely must read this comic book. If it continues at this level, we could be looking at the next The Invisibles, for a new era. This comic shows the potential of everything that comic books should achieve to be. I cannot praise this book, and its vision, enough. It puts to shame what Hellblazer has become in recent years, doing everything that a comic book with the premise of the Delano years should have become by 2016. Just a perfect first issue.

• Upvote 1

It's worth the price. It's a double-sized story, with lots of content, and Hickman includes many extras in the book, that actually enhance the plot and aren't just filler. I wouldn't mind paying such exorbitant prices for comics if they were as fulfilling as this issue. Usually you pay $4.00 for a comic book, and get part 1 of a 4 part story-arc, where you could end up compressing the entire plot in to 40 pages. That's why I say this is what comic books should have become by this point, so that the reader feels they are getting enough content for this money. It took me some time to actually read this comic, unlike most comics which are over in 10 minutes (at most), and leave little lasting impression on me after. This comic actually got me to feel excited about the medium again.