Shawn

Image Comics

Really liked Moonshine #1 but it's Azz and Risso so it's kind of hard not to. Azz doesn't seem to be trying to be too hard to be too clever for his own good in this issue and Risso just nails it, very atmospheric.

Just finished Mark Millar's American Jesus and boy was that fun. I am a bit of a dope so I did not see the reveal coming so the impact was pretty damn sweet. Kind of thought there would be more than just the one book?

Hey, did anyone else notice that Red One was back on the shelves in October? I completely missed it, forgetting all about it due to its irregular shipping schedule. Issue #4 actually saw the light of day, and I just happened to notice it yesterday. It's not just a four issue mini-series anymore. They plan to publish two issues per year now, then collect those two issues as one story-arc. So, issue #5 will ship sometime in the first half of 2017.

If you're not familiar with the book, Red One is America's new superheroine. She fights for feminism and freedom from censorship. It takes place in 1970s America, where a proposed nuclear weapon ban between the United States and the Soviet Union has created a Christian fundamentalist/fascist movement. Their hero is The Carpenter, a far Right vigilante serial killer. What no one realizes is that Red One is secretly also a double-agent for the Soviet government, whose goal is to prevent the leader of the fascist movement from being elected to the presidency, as her goal is to start a nuclear war. It's also an excuse for the Dodgsons to put out quite a bit of cheesecake artwork.

It's also an excuse for the Dodgsons to put out quite a bit of cheesecake artwork.

HAHAha that is really all I took from the 1st issue.

"Season one" of Renato Jones: The One Percent seems to have ended... inconclusively.

Kill or be Killed - a perfect first issue of a comic book. Great pacing, narration, relevant, beautiful art.. get it if you're on the fence

*I know it came out like months ago, i just got around to reading it :)

And - Duh,its Brubaker and Phillips, of course its good - except this one- is just perfect and also surprising. They recapture that feeling you got reading Criminal for the first time.. this is good.. holy shit! This is goood!

Pretty sure they will - maybe around Christmas, the first issue is very snowy. Im just impressed with how much they put into #1 - the characters, the premise with a nice twist, the way the story is told, jumping back and forth in time - and none of it feels forced, or like its written for a trade. It feels like someone telling you a kickass story and going on tangents, while sometimes flashbacks are like "ok FLASHBACK, we need to show some shit from the past". Here its much more personal. yeah, anyway.. i'm obviously in love. Also, i bought issue one when it came out - and just read it, then rushed to the store to get #2, but all they had was #3 - so dont feel too bad :)

Moonshine continues to be good, especially Risso's contributions.

And Southern Bastards continues to snooze. I think Aaron is too high on that Marvel money.

He sure as shit does.

I am starting to believe no other artist on this book would have worked quite as well. His shit is just so atmospheric, and the colors he uses just hits the damn spot

Yep, Aaron does seem more interested in working at Marvel than on his creator-owned books. He's almost forgotten about The God Damned. I liked that book too. It's not as if he doesn't seem to be having a lot of fun writing Thor and Dr. Strange though.

I gave up on Dr Strange. Too goofy and I hate Chris Bachalo. Unworthy Thor has been good as it seems to be closer to the God of Thunder book. New Thor is ok, but I am way behind.

I like the Chris Bachalo artwork, but I'm with you about the story. I haven't given up on it, but it is getting too goofy for what I like in a Dr. Strange story.

I think Aaron's Thor work has gone way downhill too. I used to look forward to it the most each month, now the main title is hit or miss, and the Unworthy Thor has sort of lost my interest by going back to the God of Thunder plot, with Thanos' Black Circle, or whatever. I was hoping for a more back-to-basics, cosmic type of Thor comic in Unworthy when I heard about it. Didn't Aaron mention Ego and Mangog? I want to see those types of stories! I don't care about the Thanos' Black Circle, or whatever.

The new issue of Mighty Thor is good though, involving the Shi'ar from X-Men lore. It seemed like something different for Thor.

I ranked Aaron as the best writer in comics a few years back, but now he's just a good writer.

^ agreed on a lot of that, CC. I mean, are we sure this is the same guy that penned Scalped? And I found his Hulk to be the same, just goofy.

I didn't mind his Hulk....but, then again, Hulk had been unreadable to me for so many years. I don't think I enjoyed the book since Peter David left it, and it hasn't been very good since after Aaron either. So, it doesn't look so bad, in comparison. I barely remember his run on Hulk at this point though.

Remember when he wrote that really horrible Hellblazer two-parter? With some characters, his style just does not mesh well.

I am starting to believe no other artist on this book would have worked quite as well. His shit is just so atmospheric, and the colors he uses just hits the damn spot

Read an issue of this last night, [ Spoiler : werewolves ] and gangsters - will definitely pick a collection up when it hits Comixology.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed the first Nailbiter collection, ludicrous concept (investigation into a small town in the US that's spawned 16 serial killers) but they lean well into it and somehow pull it off. Down for more, for sure.

Anybody read this Image advertising magazine they're doing at the moment? I thought it'd be worth a look for the Brandon Graham comics page in every issue, but even those seem a bit below standard, and are mostly just puff pieces about what a brilliant publisher Image is...

Well, aren't self-aggrandizing self-puff pieces pretty much the purpose of an advertising mag?

Picked up a copy of the first Kill or be Killed trade. Great stuff, and I definitely will be buying the next trades as they come out to see just how this long and winding road of violence and pretty pictures by Philips that Brubaker's cooked up turns out.

Read Wytches, courtesy of the library. I'm a fan of Scott Snyder's work - American Vampire's good trashy fun, loved his Batman Black Mirror, and I even liked his New 52 Batman run as overwritten as it could be at times. Wytches didn't fully click with me. I found the story and characters a bit generic. I do feel that overall the book has potential for improvement and good things in future installments that I will check out when they happen and Jock's art was a plus as always though I wasn't a fan of the colorist they picked.

Well, aren't self-aggrandizing self-puff pieces pretty much the purpose of an advertising mag?

Very true. I expect something a bit better from Graham, though.

Latest issue of Moonshine is great. Shit is about to go down! I wonder if this is an ongoing series?