Shawn

Image Comics

Christian    752

Image has announced a new set of titles for later in 2017. Lots of "United States facing a new civil war" comic books coming up....

The biggest news is that Warren Ellis will not be writing a werewolf comic book. It is actually Grace Ellis. I'm pretty sure that Comic Shop News had a typo, where "Warren Ellis" was listed as the writer.

I don't see a lot that really catch my interest, but one of the Ales Kot books sounds worth reading. The one about the "next American civil war", not to be confused with any non-Kot versions of same.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/eccc-image-comics-announces-15-new-comic-book-titles-late-2017-982902

Christian    752

Royal City #1 (by Jeff Lemire)-Beautiful. It was everything you'd expect from Lemire returning to his non-genre roots. There aren't enough comic books like this....like the best of Daniel Clowes or like Essex County. I love superheroes and horror and sci-fi and fantasy genre comics, but it's nice to see books like this too.

Lemire is truly an amazing creator. Look at the work he's currently doing....Royal City, Black Hammer, Moon Knight....all quite good, but each about as different as you can get in writing. It shows a real talent.

Grade: A, must read.

Underwinter #1 (by Ray Fawkes)-Fawkes has really improved as a writer. I'm not judging him by Constantine, which was never showing his full potential. His artwork continues to amaze me. His writing has grown a lot though. He's telling a very weird, very surreal horror story here, but his first attempt at this sort of writing showed a lot of the faults of a writer trying to discover how to do different things with the artform. This book looks like Fawkes has found his talent.

Now, the description of this series from Image....standalone stories, topical.....doesn't seem to reflect the actual content of the book.

The ending intrigued me enough to want to come back and see where this is going.

I remember when a writer could come Hellblazer and tell the type of stories they wanted to tell. It's really sad to see how far a John Constantine comic book has fallen. There were times I was reminded quite a bit of the types of stories that Delano was telling with Hellblazer in this comic. Now, writers are forced to tell generic or handcuffed types of stories with the character of John Constantine.

I'm reminded of how great Oliver's Last Gang in Town was, compared to the boring slog he's doing on The Hellblazer.

dogpoet    463

Apparently, Image are still repackaging Vertigo comics as trade paperbacks:

accelerate.png

Got hold of this as it's a comic by Richard Kadrey which I missed when DC put it out. The rather nice Pander brothers artwork probably looks better in black and white than it did coloured as well.

Christian    752

I forgot that Kadrey had written a comic before he took over Lucifer.

I seem to remember not really enjoying it at the time, although it's been so long since it was released that I don't remember why I didn't find it enjoyable.

Si Spurrier has a new comic coming from Image later this year, titled Angelic. It sounds worth a look. It takes place on a far future Earth after humanity has gone extinct. The only life left on the planet are the bio-technologically enhanced animals which humanity engineered as a slave race. Human civilization is dimly remembered in the myths of these animals' culture.

dogpoet    463

That sounds a bit '60s new wave, doesn't it?

Christian    752

Generation Gone #1, by Ales Kot, was pretty good. I'm not sure about that ending though....this really didn't need to go in the direction of a superhero book. It was a very realistic plot, up until that point. I'm not sure if I'm interested in coming back now.

Otherwise, it takes place in the near future, as the economy continues to struggle. The majority of young people are unemployed or work in low-wage, part-time, temp jobs....so, pretty close to 2017. The main characters are three 20-sometbings who are poor and angry. They're hackers, trying to use those skills to change their lives. The girlfriend works two menial jobs.

Another character is a computer scientist who works for DARPA, as it's the only way he can get funding for his real goal. While he designs bigger and better weapons for the US military, he spends his spare time working on "Project: Utopia", which is a way to create superpowers in real life. The government isn't very fond of his pet project, but continue to allow him his extravagance, due to his genius abilities, which have shown much promise for the future of military tech.

The three hackers have been hacking in to DARPA files also, eventually planning to release information about what the peoples' tax money is being spent on, while the government claims to be "broke". What they don't realize is that the DARPA computer scientist is aware of their hacks, but has been keeping it secret from the State.

When the government decides to crack down on "Project: Utopia", shutting down his work in that area, he decides as a last-ditch effort to test his work on the three hackers.

Christian    752

I'm looking for new comic books worth reading, now that my monthly comic reading is down to such a low figure (no Marvel, almost no DC left). I saw that this book is coming out from Image next week. It looks like it might be good, although I've never heard of the creators. Void Trip. It sounds to me like something that Norman Spinrad might have written.

Void Trip (2017 Image) 1

Published by Image.

Written by Ryan O'Sullivan. Art and Cover by Plaid Klaus. From writer RYAN O'SULLIVAN (Turncoat, The Evil Within, Warhammer 40,000) and illustrator PLAID KLAUS (Turncoat), comes the story of Ana and Gabe, the last two humans left alive in the galaxy. They're low on fuel, they're low on food, and they're low on psychedelic space froot, but they're still determined to make it to the promised land: hippy-paradise, super-planet Euphoria. This is the story of their journey, the friends and enemies they made along the way, and how the universe responded to those who dared to live freely within it. 'Beautiful, drugged, and hilarious sci-fi from an alternate universe where the only Captain America anyone cares about is the one in Easy Rider.'-KIERON GILLEN Cover price $3.99.

JasonT    443

That looks interesting, Christian — thanks.

As always, I'd recommend 2000AD. And have you read Sex Criminals?

dogpoet    463
14 hours ago, JasonT said:

And have you read Sex Criminals?

He's giving Kid Lobotomy one last chance before he stops reading reading the sex criminal Peter Milligan, I think.

Christian    752

No, I haven't read Sex Criminals. I believe my girlfriend read the first issue, because they offered it for free on Kindle. I think she liked it well enough, but wasn't interested in hunting down any more of the series in the immediate future.

I'm looking for new series that are starting though, that I can buy at the comic book store each month, not comics I need to buy in Trades.

I'm so not a fan of Matt Fraction, nothing he's ever done has impressed me in the slightest, but against my better judgment I read the first trade of Sex Criminals.  It was okay, interesting concept and some witty moments, but nothing to write home about.  

I checked out the first issue of Coyotes, since it was getting such stellar reviews online, but just didn't care for it at all.  

Christian    752

Guess what? I read Coyotes #1 too. I can't believe it is getting good reviews online. I think that some reviewers are paid for a good review. The comic made zero sense. I thought it was a total mess. The writer was doing way too much in that first issue to make sense of any of it. I didn't like some of the aspects that I did make sense of either. It was not a good comic book.

I'm not a fan of Matt Fraction either. He has written a few books that I haven't dislike, but yeah, I tend to usually dislike Fraction's comics.

• Upvote 1

Dave    271
12 hours ago, Ixnay by Night said:

I'm so not a fan of Matt Fraction, nothing he's ever done has impressed me in the slightest...

Not even that FF book he did a few years ago? The one where Reed and the gang are off somewhere so they leave Antman in charge of the kids? Maybe it was the art by Alred, but I loved that book.

Christian    752

Yeah, I did really like that series a great deal, even though I felt at times it was trying too hard to recapture the fun of Hickman's FF while coming too closely on the heels of Hickman's genius original.

I do seem to remember losing interest in the Fraction series towards the end, when Fraction started to take the book too seriously, losing the sense of zaniness that made FF such a wonderful title.

It was also like Fraction's consolation prize to Fantastic Four fans while he wrote a really disappointing run on Fantastic Four alongside of the FF book though.

Now, I did also love the Fraction run on Defenders around that same time.

• Like 1

dogpoet    463

Casanova's about the only thing by Fraction I have read and I was so unimpressed by that I've tried to avoid his other work. The fact that all of the back matter in one of the issues I read was a lengthy "conversation" between him and Michael Chabon apparently included purely to namedrop an award winning novelist and stress that with friends like this, Fraction is really slumming it writing comics didn't help much...

Christian    752

Yeah, it's that post-modern hipster smugness that's such a part of so much of Fraction's writing that really puts me off most of his work.

I read his Hawkeye too. I didn't love it as much as most people seemed to though. I thought it was worth reading, but not anything that couldn't be missed.

I wasn't upset to see Fraction leave Marvel Comics. His work on the long-running Marvel titles he worked on was just atrocious. He turned in horrible, uninspired work on Iron Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men, and Fantastic Four (some of the worst dreck on each of those titles) before leaving Marvel, not to mention an unreadable cross-over event.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,064
1 hour ago, Christian said:

Yeah, it's that post-modern hipster smugness that's such a part of so much of Fraction's writing that really puts me off most of his work.

I am a bit if a dullard so a lot of that is lost on me. Mostly my reaction to Cassanova is: Ooo pretty!

Christian    752

Well, yeah, with Moon and Ba on artwork, it's no wonder. He's been lucky to have some great artists working with him (Allred on FF, as Dave said).

That Daytripper series from Moon and Ba at Vertigo was almost too much for mere words to describe. Now, that was a comic book! You may think that Casanova is a comic book, because it looks like a comic book too, but trust me, Daytripper was, without a doubt, a comic book! heh

dogpoet    463

Moon and Ba are the least of it: he seems to have had Howard Chaykin draw something for him as well.

Christian    752

Void Trip #1-Oh yeah, now that is more like it. This comic lived up to my expectations. It had a bit more of Star Wars Mos Eisley to it than I was expecting, but that's ok, because Luke and Han would to have been hitting the spice pretty hard in that scene. So, that's ok with me. At the cliffhanger, it looed like "the man" was showing up to killing their buzz, man. Yes, I do like everything about this comic book and want to read more.

On 11/21/2017 at 1:25 PM, Christian said:

I read his Hawkeye too. I didn't love it as much as most people seemed to though. I thought it was worth reading, but not anything that couldn't be missed.

I wasn't upset to see Fraction leave Marvel Comics. His work on the long-running Marvel titles he worked on was just atrocious. He turned in horrible, uninspired work on Iron Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men, and Fantastic Four (some of the worst dreck on each of those titles) before leaving Marvel, not to mention an unreadable cross-over event.

That is EXACTLY what I don't like about Matt Fraction's writing, that hipster mentality that comics are only cool if they're quietly mocking the past material.  His Uncanny X-Men was the worst for that, with his descriptive captions for each character every issue.  "Cyclops: Only Wears Designer Raybans", shit like that, when the X-Men moved to San Francisco.  

JohnMcMahon    566

Southern Bastards is some damn good comics, did not expect the first trade to end the way it did and subsequent collections have been just as good.