Shawn

Image Comics

Lou K    1,097
7 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

Southern Bastards is some damn good comics, did not expect the first trade to end the way it did and subsequent collections have been just as good.

It is pretty good but I stopped picking it up monthly cause several months go by between issues. TPB #4 is supposedly due out first quarter of next year.

Lou K    1,097

Just caught up on Royal City. What a great series. Love the style of it. What do you even call this? Drama? Slice of slightly off kilter life? The last page of issue 10 is pretty heavy.

Looking forward to Gideon Falls.

Christian    807

Gideon Falls #1-This first issue didn't do much for me. The book was described with comparisons to "Lovecraft and Twin Peaks", and I'm not seeing that, so far. It reminds me of a lot of pretty typical horror fiction from the 1990s (not the bad stuff). It could improve, and I'll give it another chance, but for a first issue, nothing grabbed me. 

Lou K    1,097

Same. It wasn't a bad comic. Liked the art enough. But it just didn't grab me right away. But I'll give it a shot.

A. Heathen    1,171

In the days of the Nothingness, many pretenders, usurpers and worthy apprentices came to replace John Constantine. 

The latest if these is The Magic Order by Mark Millar and Olivier Coipel.

And I like it.

Take Zatara/Zatana & siblings. Add global conspiracy of magic that has rarely worked in Hellblazer and never in JL:Dark. Smother it with lashings of gorgeous artwork. Oh yeah and no "For mature readers" £#$%words.

@@@@ing good start.

I hope this sustains.

Dave    284

I liked it too. Hopefully the quality keeps up. I think its already been picked up by netflix judging by the huge logo on the back cover. Hopefully it is being written for the comic first and not just storyboards for a tv show.

In a similar vein, I enjoyed Evan Dorkin's, Blackwood at Dark Horse. It's not as sinister, at least not yet, but the first issue was fun.

Christian    807

Netflix bought out MillarWorld. They can immediately turn any Mark Millar owned property in to a show, if they decide it's worth it.

dogpoet    497

Is this one Millarworld? It appears to missing swear offs, mutilation and NC18 splatter thus far.

Lou K    1,097

Plutona, a fun, quick read, nothing Earth shattering but fun nonetheless.

A. Heathen    1,171
6 hours ago, dogpoet said:

Is this one Millarworld? It appears to missing swear offs, mutilation and NC18 splatter thus far.

Yes. Mr Millar pretty much says so in the end pages 

dogpoet    497

Just gone through No 1 With A Bullet, which makes some well meant but fairly obvious points about social media and online bullying and fails to construct a very impressive thriller around them. It isn't bad (and at least manages to dodge the terrible gay-bashing cop out I thought it was building towards) but it isn't all that good either, which is a shame.

Nice art, mind.