Shawn

Image Comics

JohnMcMahon    562
I have seen it in a shop (Travelling Man in Leeds, to be precise). It was big.

Thanks Tim, finally hit these shores - think you might've undersold the size of the thing!

JohnMcMahon    562

It's been an absolute pleasure to sink back into Stray Bullets - as I only ever followed it through trades this is the first time I've had the chance to read through the final chunk of issues. Brilliant reading from start to finish, an all time comic's great.

And now he's making more, oh fuck yeah.

Lou K    1,054

Southern Bastards was quite good. Real interested to see where this goes.

Shawn    297

Southern Bastards was quite good. Real interested to see where this goes.

OH! That is good to hear. It seems like the Image Quality Comic Train keeps on rolling.

However, I missed it. Well...by missed it, I mean my LCS didn't have it, or at least many copies. They've been really sucking lately on having comics not of the Big Two. I don't know if it's just my shop or it's Diamond or what.

Lou K    1,054

My place had tons of copies. I am stopping by there after work to grab another for a friend.

Shall I pick one up for you?

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Thanks, Brother Lou. But there is more than one shop here in these parts and I have no problem going where I need to get what I want.

My nerd obsession knows no bounds of loyalty! :laugh:

Lou K    1,054

Haha OK, man, if you find it difficult to obtain just let me know.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

So, I bought it digitally for iPad (I'm doing this more and more). This sort of story is familiar, guy returns to home town to find a shit storm, gets caught up in it, then tries to set it right. It's a bit Walking Tall, with more grit and good BBQ. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just as I'd never fault Brubaker for writing a noir story involving a hard-luck case and a femme fatale, I won't fault Aaron for writing a southern fried, one good man in a town gone bad, gritty drama. Everything works on this book, intriguing characters, quality dialog, a full realized setting (you can tell Aaron is pulling from his roots, Alabama born 'n' raised), to the damn wonderful, gritty, gnarly, grisled art of Jason Latour. THIS GUY!!!! WOW.

Basically, if you loved Scalped, you'll love this.

I will ABSOLUTELY! be getting this in trade.

Shawn    297

Abolutely. But, hey stick to what you know works.

Also, I like how Aaron has made comparisons to Thor, saying it's kind of the same, but with more beards and BBQ

Shawn    297

Sex Criminals is dirty, raunchy adult fun. Fraction & his buddy Chip took it to places I wasn't expecting. And I liked it!! It's like a fun, dirty little secret you can't really discuss in open public or near children or the elderly or really any "normal" person. Fantastic comic-ing.

Shawn    297

The first trade of this is out soon, yes?

It is out now, my friend. Get it! Now. Let it make sweet sweet love, then dirty kinky fuckery to your happy brain parts

• Upvote 2

Shawn    297

TOP 10 Image books right now.

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/the-ten-best-image-comics-books-right-now/

It's a solid list. Some books just aren't my thing, like Revival, but I see why others like them. And some, like Rocket Girl Alex + Ada, I've not read. But you cannot go wrong with the likes of Saga, East of West, Sex Criminals, Manhattan Projects, and Deadly Class.

I'd put Fatale up there (though it ends next issue) and DEFINITELY Velvet. Prophet, and Lazarus.

Also, I really need to read Chew. Shame on me.

Lou K    1,054

TOP 10 Image books right now.

http://multiversityc...ooks-right-now/

It's a solid list. Some books just aren't my thing, like Revival, but I see why others like them. And some, like Rocket Girl Alex + Ada, I've not read. But you cannot go wrong with the likes of Saga, East of West, Sex Criminals, Manhattan Projects, and Deadly Class.

I'd put Fatale up there (though it ends next issue) and DEFINITELY Velvet. Prophet, and Lazarus.

Also, I really need to read Chew. Shame on me.

Image is on fire right now. Better than anything the Big2 are putting out

Shawn    297

Little known fact: as part of Brubaker & Phillips FIVE year deal at Image, it also means I was willing to be contractually obligated to buy their comics for at least five years.

Are you reading Deadly Class, Lou? I feel it's right up your alley. What with teenage assassins in training, music, politics, culture, drugs, sex; all in the 1980s

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,054

I have not read Deadly Class. Will check it out. Did pick up MPH cause Millar's hot right now so we'll see.

And where is Jupiter's Legacy?

Shawn    297

And where is Jupiter's Legacy?

Hopefully the same void that War Heroes went. It's really not very good.

MPH has me interested. Since it's a mini I'll give it a glance in trade.

Christian    734

I think I'd replace Manhattan Projects with Black Science. Where is Black Science, or is it too new to rank right now?

I'm getting kind of tired of Manhattan Projects, honestly. It was one of the best books out, but Black Science has pretty much replaced Manhattan Projects for a "warning about the dangers of science unleashed" comic series.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

I think I'd replace Manhattan Projects with Black Science. Where is Black Science, or is it too new to rank right now?

I'm getting kind of tired of Manhattan Projects, honestly. It was one of the best books out, but Black Science has pretty much replaced Manhattan Projects for a "warning about the dangers of science unleashed" comic series.

That's a fair arguement. I haven't read MP very regularly since I'm just buying trades. It hasn't really set my world on fire since the first trade.

But you are right Black Science is quite fantastic. I can't wait to grab the trade and finish the first arc.

I like the way Remender does good science (ficition) gone wrong stories.

slinker    893

Black Science just edges out Manhattan Projects--BS is more entertaining and compelling, but MP is definitely smarter and more involved. Both are excellent and I read both of them monthly. Black Science also published that letter to the editor from Jef-e, too. Don't forget that.

I read 5 of those top 10 titles monthly, making Image my favorite publisher. Walking Dead's not on that list? I'm surprised, alittle. Also surprised Saga isn't #1. Never read Alex + Ada. What's it about?

Here's my top image list:

1. Black Science

2. East of West

3. Saga

4. Manhattan Projects

5. Jupiter's Legacy

6. Nowhere Men

7. Sex Criminals

8. Revival

9. Fatale

10. Great Pacific/Walking Dead tie

Walking Dead gets in based on that awesome most recent issue.

Shawn    297

Black Science just edges out Manhattan Projects--BS is more entertaining and compelling, but MP is definitely smarter and more involved. Both are excellent and I read both of them monthly. Black Science also published that letter to the editor from Jef-e, too. Don't forget that.

That's a great way of putting it. I'd have to agree.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

I just finished Black Science volume one.

http://youtu.be/vnC-zhRCGNg

I love it! It's sort of like an edgier, more twisted Lost In Space. I shall call it Lost In Onion! Remender, Scalero, and White are all on fire here telling a story of what happens when scientists start breaking thru dimensional barriers and clearly should not have done so.

And what a cliffhanger. I cannot wait to see what's next.

• Upvote 2

slinker    893

Black Science, East of West and Saga are my 3 favorite comics right now in that order.

• Upvote 1