Shawn

Image Comics

Maritimus    16

Is anyone else reading Deadly Class? If not, do yourself a huge favor and do so. Rick Remender knocks it out of the park here. You thought Black Science was good? Me too. Deadly Class is on another level. I think it has to do with the face that RR is digging deep into his personal experiences from the 1980, there is just so much honesty, pain and real fun. It reads like hanging out with good buddies. I'm amazed it took so long for someone to come along and do something like that.It is also beautifully unique visually.

The first issue is not a bomb, so stay with it at least for another one or two. Very highly recoremendered!

• Upvote 1

JasonT    438

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like my kind of thing.

Shawn    297

Yes! And I am down with it. It is quite good, though the last two issues could've been tightened up a bit. Fantastic art by the way.

I'd say get the trade for sure!

slinker    893

Another week with the only comics I'm buying are from Image. Truth be told, if not for Image, I would not be reading1/4 of the comics I read, and therefore, I would not be much of a comic fan anymore, since I stopped reading most superhero stuff. Thanks, Image! :wave:

• Upvote 2

TimC    43

Since buying Image's big all-in-one Stray Bullets collection at the weekend, my back has been fucked. Thanks Image.

(It's bloody good, though.)

• Upvote 1

Maritimus    16

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like my kind of thing.

Hope you like it, even if you have to download it to read it - i bought the first issue, then read the next 2 online, and went to the store to buy all of them, because i would feel like an asshole if i didn't. I even bought issue #3 twice, with different covers, which is something i've never done before.

Shawn    297

I think I'll enjoy Southern Bastards on a monthly basis. There's been some solid, episodic TV style cliffhangers. Tubb walking in to the BBQ joint was fantastic, statements were made, lines were drawn! Again, the beats are familiar but it's interesting enough, and the culture of small town Alabama is fascinating. It's like another world....and I'm American!

In the back of issue is a recipe for homemade fried apple pies! Holy damn, I must make them some time.

Shawn    297

S8WRKq0.jpg

i do so love this comic!

It is impossible not too!

I'm really digging the Robot plot

Shawn    297

Supreme: Blue Rose is...fascinating! In all the right ways. Ellis, to his credit, is doing something far different from any Supreme comic before. Image has seen the success of reimagined Extreme characters like Glory & Prophet, so Supreme should be next. Diane Dane is an out of work reporter, she knows there's something wrong with world, and it seems Ethan Crane is tied into. Says who? Darius Dax! And who is the Enigma? He's "like a story that the universe didn't finish writting." So many questions! What does it all mean?!?

But Tula Lotay is an amazing artist! Her style is sort of like Mike Allred with more realism with a touch of existentialism. A superstar is coming!

Give it a shot.

Shawn    297

WHOA! Lots of cool new shit coming from Image, announced at SDCC

http://comicsallianc...iego-comic-con/

Highlights:

Tokyo Ghost by Rick Remender & Sean Murphy. Dystopian, Japan, sci-fi sort of thing.

Intersect by Ray Fawkes. I know I know. His DC stuff is...not good. But his creator owned work is apparently awesome.

Invisible Republic by Gabriel Hardman & Corinna Becko. BIG space opera tale with a woman who has been written from history!

Southern Cross. Becky Cloonan doing a sci-fi/mystery/horror book. That's all you need.

Descender by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen. "A space opera about a little boy robot." Think Blade Runner mixed with Sweet Tooth.

Tooth & Claw by Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey. Basically a magical fantasty series.

Injection by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey. They seemed to mesh well on Moon Knight. But........

Sure some of this seems like well tread areas but many of these creators are top notch enough for me to give them a chance.

Image is the place right now. DAMN!

Shawn    297

Low was something else, from another world. It's all so strange and alien. Yet it's all so familiar, with parents trying to do what's best for their children in a world gone mad. It's all on a future Earth, of course, that is dying and humans live in underwater cities. They hope to find another world to move to. I guess hospitable planets are very hard to find. Remender knows his sci-if really well. If you like Black Science you'll like this. Tochinnni's art is ethereal and strange, like something from a dream.

I'll be getting more.

Prophet wrapped up well, yet poorly. The story arc wrapped fine enough, but as a series end it lacked weight. I don't want to wait for the mini-series to get the follow up. Why not just keep publishing the main book?

Fatale ended exactly the way I didn't know I wanted. Thankfully, Brubaker & Phillips told me what I wanted :-)

Shawn    297

Outcast had a solid second issue; with more great atmospheric art, some characters being fleshed out and some thickening of the plot. The story is engaging and thankfully doesn't resort to cheap shock n awe blood spatter like so many horror stories these days. There's something about Kyle's backstory that connects with me, in a way I'd rather not say, but it's intersting. I want to keep buying this.....however...I've a problem with it already being put into production as a series on Cinemax or Showtime (whatever), before the 2nd issue dropped. Why does that bother me?

Still, it's a good book so far.

Shawn    297

Shit, forgot to grab Low.

Lou, ya gotta get Low.

I feel like some hip-hop song should be played now. I know not of such things.

Lou K    1,054

I think it's something like,

She hit the floor

Shorty got low Low Low Low

I don't know last good Rap album I heard probably came out in the mid 90s.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

Low was fucking awesome. A great new take on pirates and suffering consequences borne of one's ancestors.

rick rememender: greatest writer in comics currently? Or best writer in comics currently?

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Image Comics solicitations for November. Just buy it all.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54954

Highlights:

ODY-C, the gender-swapped, sci-fi retelling of the Homer classic by Fraction & Ward. OH FUCK YES!!!! Also, there's an EIGHT page fold out in the first issue.

Tooth & Claw, a fantasy series by Busiek. I'll bite.

Drifter. I know nothing about the creators. It's described as Dune meets Unforgiven. Okay! I'm in.

Savage Dragon reaches #200. If anyone cares.

Prophet continues with a six-part mini, Earth War. All the regulars are back. And so am I.

Just the Tips. It's a sex advice books by Fraction & Zdarsky. No really. Crazy-ass mofos. I love it.

And the rest of your favorite Image titles are doing their thing. Which is being awesome and better than nearly all Marvel and DC books.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,054

I did get Low, shawty. Started off slow but finished really good! Art makes it look and feel like a fever dream. Neat stuff.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Just in case anyone has no clue what we are talking about.

Yes, this is exactly what the book by Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini is like. EXACTLY!

• Upvote 1