Shawn

Image Comics

slinker    893

i need more. i'm about to read Fear Agent again for like the 4th time.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Black Science is the way.

Shawn    297

The Fade Out. HOLY FUCK! That was great. The movie magazine variant was worth all the moneys before I even opened it. The story is fantastic, showing the seedy underside of post-WWII Hollywood, with a murder mystery of a studio's top starlett. Was it the writer prone to black outs? Or the blacklisted drunk? The leading man? Brubaker and Co. weave a fascinating tale showing me a world I didn't know I wanted to know about.

slinker    893

Oh, i'm already reading that, silly!

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Oh, i'm already reading that, silly!

Umm....What about Deadly Class? That's some fun with teens in the 80s at a private school for gift assassins. AMAZING ART too!

Or go get ya some Manhattan Projects for crazy science shit. Nowhere Men would also fall into that category.

Shawn    297

i ahem read all of those, sir. i am an image believer.

Well shit. There's nothing to be done then. You're too far gone. :icon_wink:

• Upvote 1

Christian    734

If you want to read something else worth reading by Remender, and don't mind stepping outside Image, I'd recommend Uncanny X-Force. I know what you may be thinking....X-Force?...but it was an excellent book. One of the best books Marvel has published in the 2000s. I haven't read everything by Remender, and am loving Black Science so far, but right now, I'd rank Uncanny X-Force as the best book I've read by Remender.

I don't think you have to be too well-versed in Marvel lore to catch on to Uncanny X-Force either. It's a team of mutants who will go too far to stop threats, is basically the set up. It has Wolverine, a tolerable Deadpool, the best Psylocke has been written since Claremont's early use of her (I don't know if you care about Psylocke....), does great things with Archangel, and features Fantomex from Morrison's X-Men actually being used correctly.

It's not overtly a superhero book, as it's a team of assassins. Give it a shot.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

and you seem to have an issue with comic books. :tongue:

oh no, really? that was some PUNishment.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Saga #22 - Things come to a head!! Oh damn. I feel sorry for Hazel. Speaking of heads....KING ROBOT! That is all.

• Upvote 2

Shawn    297

Low #2 - Remender is taking us down, slowly, into these characters and the world they inhabit. He seems to be taking a slightly different approach and it works well. Damn, Marik...(I'm aware of the play on words :smile: ) is at a low point. Humanity is a low point. But dammit, this one lady just won't give up. And Tochinni's art is feverish and I need time to sort it all out, in all the right ways.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

yes, king robot!

Low #2 wow! Saga #22 whoa! and Black Science #8 wheeee!

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Southern Bastards #4 - That is how you wrap a story arc! Holy shit! Good job by Aaron by going against exceptations and giving us kick ass cliff hanger surprise. I'll be back for the next arc.

Shawn    297

God Hates Astronauts....uhh...what the actual fuck was that?!?! I've seen reviews online RAVE about this book. I don't get it. It's not like that fun wild crazy sort of sci-fi comedy, it's more crazy mushroom induced funny that only the writer and his buddies get sort of thing. I couldn't finish it.

In fairness, I will attempt to read the whole thing. Whenever that might be.

Shawn    297

Don't let only my review sway you. Like I said, there's quite a few good reviews online. Maybe it's not my cup of tea. That's okay.

I resolve to read it this weekend! Probably.

Shawn    297

Prophet Strike File #1 (of 2, I assume) was neat. It's sort of like a Who's Who for the Prophet-verse. There's sort of a mini-story just telling the rise of the Earth Empire, but the rest is info on different Johns and species.

Velvet #7 - The All Man Issue, according to Brubaker. Ah yeah! :laugh: This issue focuses on the two agents in pursuit of Velvet, giving a sort of balance to the contrasting views of all the shit that's gone down since she took off. And there's a nice OH SHIT last page. This is spy-thriller perfection. 5/5

slinker    893

They released the beast finally in East of West. Quite the little badass is he.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Copperhead is a competently told sci-fi western. There's no new terrority here, think Deadwood in space but toned way down for network TV. The art rather nice to look at and helps tell the story. It's all just okay with nothing to make it standout. Nothing wrong with any of this, but it's not enough for me to get more.