Shawn

Image Comics

Lou K    1,061

LOLLING at the Trees #8 Solit..."Something is happening."

Well it's about fucking time!

:laugh:

Also the last sentance..."Things are getting darker, and, suddenly, there is no"

Perfect! Just like a current Wozza tale, the sentance is over before it's even over!

This is too rich. :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Shawn    297

Outcast #4 - and i'm out. The art is great and moody. Kirkman has some fine ideas; small town recluse (with a demon connection) teams with a preacher to help exorcise people. BUT Kirkman's old tricks are back, with bad pacing, and his patented talk talk talk talk BIG ACTION talk talk talk talk something's gonna happen talk talk yes a thing talk talk soon BIG-ISH THING talk talk talk. It's far from terrible, it's rather decent in fact. Just not for me on a monthly basis. Shame.

Low # 3- fantastic. duh. Also, there's a certain scene that makes me think Remender and Tochini have been following Saga. There are worse books to follow.

Saga - damn BKV you snagging at my strings in the heart like that. The split of Marko & Alana hasn't gone exactly as I thought it would, which is nice. Defy my expectations!! Staples does her usual quality work, but for some reason, I thought a few panel layouts didn't click. Minor B.S. to be sure.

Lou K    1,061

And a pretty damn fine cliffhanger at the end there, too (Saga). Great cover. Took me a minute to even figure it out!

Low was good. Not a lot happened but the art was pretty neat. Really made the otherworldliness of the undersea environment come alive.

Which scene were you talking about Shawn?

I gave up on Outcast after 1 issue. Really hated the emo lead character.

Shawn    297

Which scene were you talking about Shawn?

The big orgy. Didn't Saga have a Robot orgy...I think...more coffee, please

Lou K    1,061

Oh yeah, you are correct. Been a few orgies, I think. Prince Robot was dreaming of one when he got his cranum cracked.

Christian    750

Wytches #1-This did nothing for me. The story was generic. It totally lost me at the part with the bully in the woods....that was quite over the top. It was like a bad Hollywood horror film.

Oh, and Synder's essay at the back of the book explaining his concept made me laugh. "This isn't about witches, like we usually think of them." No. What you're describing Synder, they're called "demons". You're looking for the word "demon". You apparently misspelled it as "wytches" on the cover.

I have to tell you, I absolutely adore that cover though. It made me buy the book. I'm thinking of ripping off the cover and framing it and getting rid of the comic, because I love that cover.

Shawn    297

Wytches #1-This did nothing for me. The story was generic. It totally lost me at the part with the bully in the woods....that was quite over the top. It was like a bad Hollywood horror film.

Oh, and Synder's essay at the back of the book explaining his concept made me laugh. "This isn't about witches, like we usually think of them." No. What you're describing Synder, they're called "demons". You're looking for the word "demon". You apparently misspelled it as "wytches" on the cover.

I have to tell you, I absolutely adore that cover though. It made me buy the book. I'm thinking of ripping off the cover and framing it and getting rid of the comic, because I love that cover.

:sad: Why do you kill my hopes and dreams?

I shall see tomorrow when I read it.

Lou K    1,061

As you are a bundle of sunshine, Christian is a cloud of darkness, the yin to your yang, as it were.

Shawn    297

Hey, I can go dark, man. Like...I use the f-word and...get so angry & disappointed with people I will glare in silence, grinding my teeth. :laugh:

I'm far more pessimistic and cynical than you think. Sort of.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,061

Hahaha easy, man, take it easy. We're all freinds here. I don't wanna poke the bear

• Upvote 1

Christian    750

Awww....

Yeah, I'm usually pretty cynical and pessimistic about things. I have an easier time giving a comic a negative review than a positive review most of the time, unless the comic is so outstanding that you want to list everything so great about it.

It can depend on my mood too. Sometimes I find myself enjoying a comic more when I'm in a positive mood, where if I'm feeling negative, I find myself unable to enjoy the comics.

Hell, I'm re-reading Claremont's X-Men run right now. Most new comics are going to pale before the majesty of 1980s comic books, in my eyes.

Still, the Wytches is just not my thing. I'm really torn on Synder as a writer. He can be very good (his original work on Batman), but most of his other comic work hasn't really caught my fancy.

Maritimus    16

Still here, thou not reading many new comics.. i guess i gotta chime in on Snyder. It seems to me that he grew up watching the 80s horror movies and uses similar cliches in his writing. It can be used to great effect when treated with fondness and a wink (Cabin in the woods), but with Snyder.. there is no joke. He pulls a gigantic cliche, but there is no wink. He wants you to take this seriously, and that applies to a lot of his stuff, but strangely, not all. His Detective was really good (though it doesnt hurt to have Jock and Francavilla killing it on the art), but the new 52 Batman he does.. just a tornado of cliches, i tried, many times, i just couldn't. "And then he falls out of the window. But guess what?!! He is still alive! And comes back! And you wont believe it - he is the mastermind! AND he is Bruce's long lost brother" I just can't, please no more. Then The Wake was good again. So what is it Scott? Isn't it about time for some Two Face story?

Shawn    297

I read Wytches and rather enjoyed it. There are some familar story elements but there's enough creepy mystery to bring me back for a second issue, maybe a third. This didn't set my world on fire but I was entertained. But I wasn't scared or really bothered by the horror of it. Jock!! Kills it every time! He's perfectly suited for the story Snyder is telling. And yes, that cover is fanastic and suitable for a frame. I hope this all goes better than Outcast. Or at least far better paced than Kirkman can manage. I'd like a good horror comic to add to my monthlies.

Shawn    297

Deadly Class #8 was solid...I'm not sure entirely how I feel yet. I've been a bit on the fence with this series on whether I would drop it monthly and just get trades. This was the Secret Origin of Marcus Lopez. Through his journal we find out what happend at the orphanage to send him running and live on the streets. HOLY **** that was some messed up stuff. The very raw and brutal pontential of Marcus is on full display as he MacGuyver's his way to freedom. This was a decent side step in the story providing deeper meaning to the overall story. So much so that I really need to go back re-read the series to date. Last and not least, Wes Craig is AMAZING in every damn sense. He does great action, small moments, emotional, quiet drama. all of it with high skill. He has great kung-fu!

slinker    893

I went the traded route on DClass, too, mainly because I enjoy Black Science and Low more and buy them monthly. I already pay Rememnder enough each month, he can wait for my trade money on DClass.

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

he also owns my stock and barrel. whether locked or unlocked.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,131

I enjoyed Deadly Class in tpb 1.

Wish I'd started more of these series in that format as the piles of comics are getting too big.

• Upvote 1