Shawn

Image Comics

Wish I'd started more of these series in that format as the piles of comics are getting too big.

This is also my problem. I've been trying to keep myself limited to ONE box but there are just too many awesome series I want to keep in single form. Perhaps...I will...buy.. a SECOND BOX!

Hahaha perhaps I will buy an 8th box

But really it is getting old. Too many floppies. Love getting trades but always worried I might miss out on something

I blame Image. Seriously, if they weren't putting out so many quality series, I'd have a halfie. My "policy" is: good stuff gets kept, current stuff I'm reading gets kept, most montly superheros fare gets sold/traded after the current arc. Also, it's getting that I'm having a more challenging time keeping track of all the stories I read. That's just comic books! Toss in books, magazines, TV, movies, etc and it's all The Flash teamed up with Marko to rescue Velvet, who's having an affair with Constantine, from the evil clutches of Thanos, in his hidden base, in Westeros, provided by Raymond Reddington.

That's why I've been leaning more towards trades, easier for travel and consuption.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with all that. I smoke too much dope to recall what I had for lunch yesterday let alone what happened in last month's comics.

• Upvote 1

Saga #24!!!! No spoilers. The Brand + Sweet Boy are not quite the awesomeness of the The Will + Lying Cat, but they could be contenders. Also, Gwen + Sophie + Lying Cat are a team I need more of, like right now. There's another team up, I shan't mention. But it's cool! What a great season finale (so to speak, since Saga goes on a few month hiatus), give us enough and leave us wanting more.

Low #4 - I said, goddamn! that's good sci-fi. Mama and Marik travel to that creepy, lost city and it's full of scum and villiany, like the whole city is Mos Eisley cantina, with strange creatures and weird people. They find something they did not expect. Once they find it, things pear-shaped as how they it would go doesn't go. I want to go back re-read this, soak up the art, process it all again. That's the sign for a good comic.

Southern Bastards #5 - I said, goddamn y'all that's some mighty fine comic booking going on. As we get the fall out of this book's Ned Stark moment, we get a bit of background on Coach Boss, and it is fantastic to witness, no matter how brutal it gets. This was a fantastic pause in the overall story, giving character moments, while setting up, what I hope to be, an arc of shit hitting the fan. Oh! And there's a receipe for biscuits in the letter column! :smile:

Rasputin #1 - The Proof team are back together again. Rossomo's art is perfection. Riley's script is...not as deep as I'd have liked. It's a nice intro of Rasputin (historical fiction in full effect, BTW). But it comes off a bit too light, with a a multi-page bear fight, and not as much dialog. It was far from bad, but I don't feel I got my money's worth. This was sort of like a pilot to a TV series. Especically when compared to Saga, Souther Bastards and Low; those books felt packed with story. Based on my love of this team and Proof, I will give this another issue or two.

Sure do hate not getting to the shop on Wednesdays. :sad:

I had to scroll right by Shawn's reviews.

Sure do hate not getting to the shop on Wednesdays. :sad:

I had to scroll right by Shawn's reviews.

Reviews editied for Lou :laugh:

Saga #24 - I read this.

Low #4 - I read this next

Southern Bastards #5 - I read this last.

Rasputin #1 - I read this first.

:laugh:

Loved Low this week. Seen the letters page where he hope to go 60 issues? Wow.

Holy shit Southern Bastards! Wonder if/when the young Tubbs is coming home.

Saga was brilliant, as usual.

• Upvote 1

:laugh:

Loved Low this week. Seen the letters page where he hope to go 60 issues? Wow.

Holy shit Southern Bastards! Wonder if/when the young Tubbs is coming home.

Saga was brilliant, as usual.

YES, SIR!!!!

In regards to young Tubbs, I'm thinking:

I hope so. I hope she comes home like WTF and then oh hi I have military training YOU DIE.

I read Birthright. Unfortunately, I know nothing of the creators Joshua Williamson & Andrei Bressan. My apologies.

This was a neat surprise. A young boy goes missing, it tears the family apart, the father is blamed, BUT then the son comes back a year or so later. He's an full adult now, looking like a Conan reject, and he's been to this mystical fantasy realm where he was the chosen hero. Sound a bit familiar? There's a Flight of the Navigator/Labrynth/Chronicals of Narnia vibe. And that is perfectly fine, as it's done well.

How does the family deal with this? Is this truly the lost son? There's a neat twist right at the end that threw me enough to bring me back. I am very curious to see where this can go. It's definitely worth checking out the first issue just to see if that hook can grab you.

More fantasty with Tooth & Claw by Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey! Holy Moley was this awesome good comic time! To start, you get 48 pages for $2.99!!! Believe it. In a fully realized world, conceived by Busiek & constructed by Dewey, we are introduced to a world run on magic and filled with anthropomorphic characters. There are floating cities, spells for food, lights, etc. Not all is well, of course, as there is a society on the surface of "have-nots." What happens when the most precious commodity, magic, runs out? What happens when society, as it's been known, comes crashing down?!? This is quality, triple distilled, pure fantasy. This would a really solid book (series) but it shines even brighter as a comic book. Highly recommended!! 5/5

• Upvote 1

Drifter...was a comic I read. It's a sort of sci-fi western thing. I think. It is not a bad comic, it's all done well enough, but it's not for me. Certainly not enough for to buy more of.

Wytches # 2 was not as strong as the first issue. It's as if it's all been ramped with intros and setup, now it slows down a bit. I know that's fairly normal, especially in comics, but it was hard for me to really get excited over it. I admit to being very impatient and wanting more answers than is being given here. It also doesn't help that I'm reading some really STELLAR 5/5 type books, so some books, though really good, pale in comparison. Jock of course kicks ass on the creepy art. I'll stick around at least for a few more issue or the first arc.

Fade Out #3 was absolute perfection. Do you except anything less from Brubaker + Phillips? Me neither. Maya Silver, Valeria's replacement, is front and center. As she dives head first into this new found stardom, all the bright lights of Hollywood only cast deeper shadows, with all the seedy back dealing scheeming manipulations. This is fantastic self contained (mostly-ish) issue that would be good for anyone to pick up. Also, it's really clear that this world is full of fascinating characters, from starlets to suffering writers, from creepy studio heads to slimy agents. They all have a story to tell, and in B+P's hands, you want to hear all of them.

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid I have not got the energy for Tooth & Claw, it looks lovely and is well written, but other than watching Game of Thrones, I am done with that sort of fantasy epic.

Similarly, Ray Fawkes' Intersect is the sort of crazy world view thing that I'd have been all over, and it sure looks lovely, but there's not enough story there to hook me in. More back story would have done that perhaps.

Rasputin, on the other hand, looks and reads like something I will enjoy. Hardly a word, but more story than most comics I read this week

(one was the latest Multiversity ...)

Ody-C was certainly ambitious! holy damn that art! holy shit that EIGHT page fold out spread! It's nice to see Fraction stretching his writing muscles by trying new things. It's didn't quite gel 100% for me, I need more. So maybe that's the point with this re-telling of the epic. But it's enough to get me back for more. Also, there's just so damn much being laid out I need to go back re-read it. A friend described it as "a mind-fuck that leaves you feeling respected and dirty at the same time."

Close enough :biggrin:

I grabbed it and flicked through it but have not given it the deep dive just yet.

Men of Wrath 3 brings the violence. "...but you shoot like a preacher."

They did the impossible and now i have empathy for Eustace Boss. This comic hits so close to home. I feel like i grew up with those people.

Excellent comics in the pile today.

Still more to do, I may go for ODY-C later.

Bitch Planet is a promising start. I think Alex De Campi did this better in her Prison Ship of the Antares, but hey, the universe is big enough for two Lady Prisoner romps ...

Supreme Blue Rose is, I would say, Warren Ellis on top of his game. And I've not read much of Supreme to know what has gone before, so that only adds to the mystery. The artwork by Tula Lotay is damn fine.

Did I mention Deep State before? X Files type of thing. Nicely gruesome in placed.

• Upvote 1

Ody-C #1-I appreciate the inventiveness of what Fraction is doing here, but like Shawn, it doesn't quite work for me.

It reminds me of Prophet with epic mythological overtones.

I'd like to see something this creative done (as far as design and art) again with a comic, just with less of a derivative plot.

Still, the uniqueness and creativity of the lay-out makes the book far more appealing than the story, which isn't exactly as imaginative.

Definite A: for effort job here. The story-telling is nowhere near as strong.

I picked up a few #1 issues of recent Image titles this week. More reviews soon then, most likely.

• Upvote 1

Bitch Planet was just okay. Despite so many others online proclaiming it as the BIGGEST FUCKING THING EVER CREATED, it didn't quite reach the hype about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine book with quality art and an intriguing story. This is like some sort of feminist master's thesis in comicbook form, which is fine, and it sets out exactly what it intends. I did like the little trick pulled towards the end, making the reader think this is the way the story will go then yanks the rug out.

Then again...maybe I'm the wrong one? With so many reviews/comments and people I've talked to, telling me it's AMAZING!!!!!!! I wonder if there's something wrong with me. I've been exhausted in so many ways (busy holiday time of year shit) that many comics just aren't click with me the way I hope they will. I will say, BP is worth a re-read before I decide to keep getting it. And that says something.