Shawn

Image Comics

Shawn    297

Rumble by Arcudi ( I know him) and James Harren (nada input) was interesting. I've heard it described as "Conan in the real world." Not sure if that's accurate. But it is definitely following along with other comics, Birthright comes to mind, where sword n sorcery type fantasy invades the real world. It's a okay intro to the setting and a character. There's weird creator shit going down, normal person is out of their element, then the hero with a big sword shows up to save the day. But like too many other #1s of late, it's too thin. I'm not saying I want it all spoon-fed by the gallon, but give me more. This would have been the cold open part of a show right before the openin title card. Enough padding for the trades. I wanted to like it. And I did but not enough to plop $3.50 per month.

A. Heathen    1,171

Bitch Planet was just okay. Despite so many others online proclaiming it as the BIGGEST FUCKING THING EVER CREATED, it didn't quite reach the hype about it.

It's quite remarkable, when Kelly Sue is doing such great work around the Marvel universe with her real women in superhero situations that this one is receiving that response. Seems fairly obvious that the collective manhood of comics should want to see a cat fight rather than superbly written books that are empowering legions of new female readers.

It was fun.

I stand by my view that De Campi > De Connick when it comes to Gals In Gaols.

Christian    807

Rumble by Arcudi ( I know him) and James Harren (nada input)

Harren has done some artwork on BPRD and Conan. He seems interested in drawing Hyborian/barbarian things, as, if I remember correctly, his BPRD books have featured flashbacks to Howardian pre-history plots.

So, it makes sense the book he'd be working on at Image would have some sort of Conan-influence.

Christian    807

Intersect #1 by Ray Fawkes (aka Mr. Constantine!)-Who knew Fawkes had such talent as an artist? I'm quite impressed with the art, which is an, obviously influenced by, mixture of Jon Muth and Bill Sienkiewiez.

The story isn't as interesting as the artwork, although Fawkes shows a lot more talent here than he's been showing at DC. The story-telling style isn't totally clear, but it's most likely not meant to be that coherent, at least at this stage. It's a post-apocalyptic world, of some sort.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fawkes tapping in to this writing style with Constantine. It has more menace to it than the straight stories of Constantine, and I'd like to see a dream-like, hallucinatory nature used with the Constantine comic. I'm sure the editors would never allow it, but it would make Constantine an actually interesting book.

The world doesn't draw me in with the first issue, so I won't be coming back, as I, mostly, only give comics one issue to hook me in anymore.

Still to read: Rasputin, Roche Limit, The Wicked and the Divine

Christian    807

Rasputin #1-This is very good!

Grecian is responsible for one of my favourite comics, Proof, and this book proves that he is just a very good writer, period.

On the negative, I could have done with more story. Too many pages went by without any words.

I still feel this book is a winner, and plan to keep reading.

I loved the scene with the bear.

Lou K    1,097

Hot damn is Men of Wrath a fun read. Great 4th issue setting up a killer finale. No pun intended

Christian    807

Brian Wood has been announced as the new writer of the Spawn series, so Morrison won't be writing Spawn proper. I'm already in shock that Wood is on Spawn now....I have no ability to believe that Morrison will end up writing Spawn, in some form.

Lou-I thought the Alan Moore issue of Spawn was pretty good. It stood out above the majority of Spawn comics. The rest of his work in that universe was bad, but that one issue.

Shawn    297

for those interested, Spawn will be written by Paul Jenkins. My respect for his past works will earn ONE issue. But I suspect, as before, there will touches of goodness sprinkled with MacFarlane's shitty touch.

http://www.newsarama.com/23173-todd-mcfarlane-announces-new-spawn-writer-his-own-new-project-savior.html

Christian    807

Wait a second. I just read that Brian Wood is the new writer for Spawn. What's going on here?

Either is a shock, but Jenkins is more believable, because his name isn't as well known as Wood at this point in his career.

Jenkins was the only writer to do anything interesting with Spawn (in Spawn: The Undead), mostly by taking Spawn out of the story's focus. I doubt he can do anything as good with Spawn in 2015, but if I'm proven wrong, I will give in and buy Spawn again. Otherwise, Grant Morrison would be the only name writing Spawn to get me to buy the book again.

Lou K    1,097

Lou-I thought the Alan Moore issue of Spawn was pretty good. It stood out above the majority of Spawn comics. The rest of his work in that universe was bad, but that one issue.

Honestly, brother, I would have to read it again. I have th Violator mini and I think the Violator/Badrock mini stuck in my head. He did Violator/Badrock, right?

Lou K    1,097

It won't be Morrison on Spawn, thank goodness!!! And it won't be Brian Wood. He submitted his script and was greatly displeased to find numerous changes. So he dropped out. It will be Jenkins. See Image thread

http://hellblazer.ip...140#entry368160

See? SEE?!?!?!?! This is why Spawn will always suck. I know it's Todd's baby but for fuck's sake let someone else take it in their own direction, cause your direction is stale. Having said that Jenkins did write "Undead" so....

Lou K    1,097

Jenkins was the only writer to do anything interesting with Spawn (in Spawn: The Undead), mostly by taking Spawn out of the story's focus.

So so so so so fucking true

JasonT    456

God help me, I might actually read Spawn by Paul Jenkins. He did a fine job on Werewolf By Night Or Something and that Spider-Man series. And Hellblazer. And Inhumans.

A. Heathen    1,171

Not Spawn. I'll read most everything else he writes.

Incidentally, Paul Jenkins is the new writer on Spawn.

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM THE BIG GIANT MARVEL THREAD.

not "marble head"

Christian    807

God help me, I might actually read Spawn by Paul Jenkins. He did a fine job on Werewolf By Night Or Something and that Spider-Man series. And Hellblazer. And Inhumans.

What has he done for me lately?

That was the end of Jenkins Golden Age though. He hasn't really written anything very good after that. His work following that was all work-for-hire dross, which is very true...but, I doubt he had dreams of returning to work on Spawn in 2015. Plus, it's Spawn...in 2015. I may be judging things harshly this soon, but 2001 was a long time ago now.

This conversation needs to be moved to the Image page. God knows we don't need two threads discussing Spawn!

• Upvote 1

wolvy    58

From the sound of it, I take it that he hired Jenkins simply because Jenkins wouldn't stand up to him. I actually liked David Hine's Spawn story, then I ended up confused as hell because all the major changes that occured were pretty much forgotten and ignored for the new Spawn Jim Downing. Then I ended up dropping the title a few issues later because it was taking way too long to get the fucking point.

Christian    807

Nameless #1-I'm not sure about this. It's just the first issue, so it could go anywhere from here. I just fear that it's going somewhat that's not interesting, in the least. There better be a surprise and a hook to this.

In straightforward terms, it looks a lot like Roche Limit (another Image title), only written in a more creative manner. I grew bored with Roche Limit very quickly.

I get tired of all these "futurism" plots. All this technology alienates me...I'm a quasi-Luddite who draws the line at DVDs and the internet, any tech over that is something I have zero interest in, and even that's too much for my moral code, in the end. My love of science fiction is based in the New Wave, not all this "I love heavy techno-jargon" stories (not that Nameless is overly using sci-fi).

Once again, we're back to "outer space is the only hope of humanity" stuff, it's like the 1950s all over again. Except then it was "our bright and shiny future of progress", now it's more like Blade Runner, "we need to get away now, because it's all going downhill on Earth!" (only without all the social criticism of BR, of course). And, all this "only our enlightened billionaire masters can save us now!" crap. All billionaires are interested in doing in the real world is spending their money on the political party they want in office, and what favours they'll get for backing said politicos.

There was a lot of other more interesting things (or mysterious, at any rate) going on with the book for the first half, but it doesn't seem to really connect with the second half. So, hopefully there's more to what's going on, and that the first half wasn't just a way to make a simplistic plot seem to be exciting.

This is Grant Morrison, so I'll give it a chance. Even when a title by him fails, it often fails in an interesting way. I haven't been impressed by Morrison's work at Image though. Happy was pretty awful ("I'll write a Garth Ennis comic book, but then put in an hallucinatory pony so it looks more creative!").

Wait a second. According to the internet, Image published a series called "Nameless" in 1997. Is this a reworking of an older Image property then, or is this series owned by Grant Morrison?