Shawn

Image Comics

Nameless just snowballs madness (SPACE MADNESS!) each issue.

Delightfully bonkers.

In the Image Dept of Space I also caught up with Descender, which is evidence that Jeff Lemire writes the innocence / wisdom of children better than anyone else, The epic details are very Star Wars, but the story of Tim 21 is much more human.

And Southern Cross, Becky Cloonan's "White Out in Space" is a whodunnit that manages to ladle on the standard batch of supporting characters with hardly any effort - you know, how Agatha Christie did it with Inspector Clouseau? There's also an element of the horror of Nameless, but with more sanity.

I also read, Mythic, or tried to. I will give it another go, because the art by John McCrea is excellent

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/mythic-review-image-comics-phil-hester-john-mccrea/

Plowed through the remianing issues of Black Science this week. Really enjoying this book. Great use of characters (the egotist becomes the hero, the anarchist resorts to violence, interdimensional possession, the fallen warrior, the mecha shaman, the Millipede who can recognize the dimensional shift) and harrowing situations. Remender has stated that issue 16 will wrap up the major over all arc and that the comic will be quite different starting with 17. Very intrigued to see where it goes.

Ha! That's about right.

The latest issue of Injection (#5) finally does get around to explaining the plot in detail. I can't say I'm invested in this story, it sounded a lot better as a synopsis. I dropped it this week.

Enjoyed Injection more than some of you, apparently!

Read the first Bedlam trade last night, good stuff, maybe a little too Batman/Joker in places but otherwise I dug it.

Really really liked the first Bedlam arc. Fucking Madder Red is awesome.

I am liking Injection now that I am caught up. There's more story in these past 5 issues than Wozza has been able to muster the past 5 years or more.

Wonder what happened to that rag. I know there was a second arc (I have it but have not read it). Great artwork by Rossmo too.

Yeah, real shame. I don;t even know if they finished the arc. I will have to read it. I know Rossmo was not on the second arc and the art was not as good.

God Damned #1-I absolutely loved this comic! I couldn't dislike it, and I even tried! A few pages went by with lots of violence and no words, things I'm not a fan of, and it nearly lost me, but Aaron won me back quickly.

I was hoping that Aaron would use the premise to comment on modern society, and he does do this. It's not simply moralizing though. It presents a very negative view of humanity, but it doesn't simply accept the textual story of the flood from the Bible, which has disturbing overtones.

Aaron manages to turn things upside down...like Noah may be the worst of the humans.

He also chose a very interesting sympathetic protagonist for the story.

There's a lot to love here, and it's something different for comics.

So far, this book gets an A.

Easy best book for the week.

So I got a package of "Printed Documents" form John Constantine for Christmas. Some great stuff in there. But what really grabbed me was Airboy. What a great first issue. I will continue this series, most likely in trade, as I have no idea where they are at with it at this point.

• Upvote 1

Who've they got writing that now? The last Airboy series I saw involved Chuck Dixon...

Which could be either pretty good or mindbendingly terrible, I suppose...

Tell you what, I have never cared for the guy's stuff. But this appears to be some heavy parody of himself and it is quite humorous.

You never even liked Starman?

We've got both sides of Robinson on display at Marvel currently. He's writing a tired, over-done, poor Squadron Supreme series, and a surprisingly good and interesting Scarlet Witch series.

Starman was only OK with me, not bad but not great. Didn't quite see what all the hub bub was about but I only read the first trade and it was a long time ago