Shawn

Image Comics

Shawn    297

Marvel gets one so that we may praise. DC gets one so that we...share in our suffering. So, why not Image? They've putting out some top notch books and look to have even more coming up soon. Let's discuss the other, other white meat Image Comics.

Let's start with the Image Expo, where they announced upcoming books.

http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=46396

Books of note:

Velvet by Brubaker & Epting

The story focuses on Velvet Templeton, a personal assistant to world's largest intelligence agency in the vein of Moneypenny from the James Bond films. She has to leave desk job to go back into the field, on the run from her own agents in the new series. Brubaker wrapped his description saying the book will be like "a Bond or Mission Impossible movie to mashed into a meta textual cold war scenario.

I will buy this!!!

Ody-C by Fraction and Christian Ward.

A re-telling of the Odyssey. In this take, all of the classic men characters are women, and the women are men. "Ody-C" will be set chronologically after a big cosmic war in space, telling the story as though these reigning champions are heading home, but there are "celestial super-cosmic beings" standing in the way of the hero on her way back to her family

Buying this I will be, also.

Rick Remender is coming back with Deadly Class and Black Science, which is a sequel of sorts to Fear Agent,

about a member of the Anarchist League of Science – a group experimenting with dark sciences.

Jason Aaron on Souther Bastards

"It's about a lot of southern bastards." He's creating his own world filled with colorful characters and is planning on doing terrible things to them for many years. Latour joined his writer on stage and called the book "The Untouchables versus Boss Hog" or "The Dukes of Hazard by the Coen Bros on meth."

I like it!!

Lou K    1,061

Like the sound of that Southern Bastards. And Velvet sounds awesome too!

And yeah Image is putting out the best stuff right now: Prophet, Saga, Fatale and Mind MGT (still waiitng on my god damned trade). Derp

Shawn    297

Also, Lazarus by Rucka and Lark had a good first issue. Yes, it's another dytopian future. But it's different enough, with mob Families controling everything and their immortal enforcers, to make it interesting. And how can you not love a main character with the name Forever (Eve) Carlyle

Lou K    1,061

*ahemMindMGMTisdarkhorsecough*

Ah, If'n I had mah god damned trade I would have known that. :mad:

Shawn    297

*ahemMindMGMTisdarkhorsecough*

Ah, If'n I had mah god damned trade I would have known that. :mad:

It's okay, Lou. Bring it in

lets-hug-it-out_medium.gif

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

Saga is the best thing i've read in a long time. looking forward to that Fear Agent sequel.

i think Saga might beat Y to celluloid houses.

Lou K    1,061

I like that Velvet preview.

I'm lucky - I have both.

You do, don't you? How about that.

Christian    750

Like the second coming of Christ. : )

It means it's not exactly a sequel, but it could be considered a sequel at a meta-level or "once removed".

It's more of a companion piece to another work, rather than directly continuing or playing off the plot of the earlier work.

A. Heathen    1,131

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46780

"Straczysnki will also be doing a book with Bill Sienkiewicz, which will involve a complete re-look at how comics are designed."

That cover will need to be well-designed !

An interesting panel where they talk about the process as much as the big name character trademarks.

I find that refreshing compared with the Vertigo Attitude panel.

Lou K    1,061

Mark Millar's Star Light had a good debut. Imagine a Flash Gordon type, a pilot, who flies his plane into a nebula or something. He comes out to a strange alien world on the other side, saves it from intergalactic tyranny, and then goes home only to be ridicued. Little green men? Really? He grows old, his wife passes, his kids can't be bothered...and then something happens that may let him live just one more adventure. Excellent 1st issue.

Shawn    297

Starlight was rather good. I really dig the art. Definitely getting it in trade.

Yes, Velvet is top notch.

Deadly Class has been all sorts of fun with its evil, 1980s Hogwarts School of Assassins

Shawn    297

OH YEAH! That's another I've been really impressed with, especially Matteo Scalera. Yet another guaranteed trade buy.

• Upvote 1

TimC    43

Did the Stray Bullets Uber Alles trade actually ship ?

I have seen it in a shop (Travelling Man in Leeds, to be precise). It was big.

dogpoet    455

They're doing a lot of big collections at the moment, some of them great. I'm about halfway through the complete Minimum Wage collection at the moment, which is very reminiscent of peter Bagge's quieter moments, if all of the characters weren't grotesque freaks. That's probably damning it with faint praise, though, as it's an excellent comic.

slinker    893

oh, dear lord! if you have black science #5, check the first letter in the letter section. that fucker called me and told me when he sent it that his letter would be published in the next issue. he didn't say he fit Rick Remender's cock and both balls into his mouth while doing so.

• Upvote 2