Sign in to follow this  
Charlie K

Went to comic shop for first time in like 6 years. What have I missed?

I fell out of the habit of collecting my weekly pull back when I first started having kids, just because I had less time and, naturally, less money! So I haven't hardly bought comics for the past 6 years or more.

What have I missed?

Couple observations off the top of my head:

-I struggle to find the comics I like and don't want to spend the time or money to read something only to find I don't like it. I know what I like, style, tone and characters, but struggle to *find* it. I guess that's why you need comic book friends, right? To share info.

-Comics are too expensive and too short. Single issues are too short and it feels like trades are long enough but a bit expensive. Why haven't we solved this problem yet, releasing comics in longer form, reasonably priced formats?

-Is everyone mad at DC over this most recent whatsis, resetting of the characters into the first 52 or what do you call it?

-How's Vertigo?

-How's Marvel?

-I seem to have a difficult time finding and following the writers and artists I like. Why isn't the industry more consistent this way, in helping me navigate this? For regular print books, when I fidn a writer I like, I go read all his stuff. I try to do this on comics but it seems they spread the good writers too thin or on too many projects and don't do enough to promote the up and comers.

Okay, so a bit of a ramble but... hello. What's going on?

Hiya Charlie,

1st off describe the things you are looking for in a comi and we can steer you in the right direction.

2) trade papaerbacks, baby!

3) Yes, Nu52 is the suck, although i bought and enjoyed a few titles from it.

4) Dead. But Scalped is MUST READ material. I have all the trades so I got you covered. Oh and they brought Astro City back.

5) Dunno, but you need to be reading Thor: God of Thunder. Must read stuff imo (from the writer of Scalped)

6) eh...dunno....

Must read comics of the last year or so include: Saga, Fatale, Prophet, Scalped, and Thor God of Thunder.

My must reads are Storm Dogs, New Avengers, and The Darkness. Saga is also highly recommended, though I've only read the first trade.

I've been wanting to read Prophet, I forgot all about that book.

I'd say Vertigo is on life support, awaiting some experimental treatments developed by Doctors Gaiman, Lemire, Busiek, Snyder, Oliver and Carey.

• Upvote 1

All can't miss or go wrong titles: Saga, Fatale, Thor: God of Thunder, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Prophet, Astro City

Yeah, what Lou said, give us some guidelines and will fuck it up....err....guide you with wisdom

• Upvote 1

I'll second Saga (I read the singles as soon as I can get them) and Fatale (i read in trades). Saga is the best new thing I've read in a couple of years.

I would add FF to the Marvel titles you should be reading, Not Fantastic Four but FF. I think they just traded the first issues. It's Fraction & Alred and it's a gloriously fun title.

All right, what I like in comics. First of all, I love super heroes. When I read a comic, I want to read about super heroes. I am also a huge martial arts fan so I tend to gravitate to the super hero books with the most fighting. I've recently love love loved Ed Brubacker's take on Iron Fist, my favorite character. Also spotted the Daredevil trades by Bendis, that looks good, love that character.

Can I get links to synposes or images of Saga, Fatale, and these other titles we're discussing?

Based on that....Hawkeye!! If you liked Iron Fist, this is up your alley. David Aja is the primary artist. Matt Fraction (co-writer of Iron Fist with Brubaker) writes it. The book is basically what Clint Barton does when he isn't Avenger-ing. It's been described as The Rockford Files for the MU. Which is apt. There are now two trades so far. GO!!!

FF is brilliant, old school thru a new school lens superhero fun. Ant-Man (Scott Lang), Medusa (Black Bolt's wife), She-Hulk and Ms. Thing (Johnny's girl of the moment, a pop star in a Thing suit) all act as fill ins for the Fantastic Four while the family is off on vacation thru time and space (which you can see in their book) and they act as teachers/mentors to the Future Foundation kids, made up of wonderful little genius rascals, consisting of Dragon Man, some Moloids, kids from Power Pak, fish kids, the Wizard's young clone, Black Bolt's kid etc. ALSO MIKE ALLRED!

Huh, all that is written by Matt Fraction. Who knew?

• Upvote 1

I'm not great at this..so anyone feel free to jump in

Saga is (from Amazon)

"When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults. This specially priced volume collects the first six issues of the smash-hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls "the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make."

I say, like Star Wars (with better writing) crossed with Farscape with some Terry Gilliam

Fatale is all about the horror noir. It's all about this femme fatale and all the men and situations she's come across in her long life. What Bru & Phillips did for crime noir with Criminal they are doing with horror. There's some heavy H.P. Lovecraft influence going on.

again from amazon

"In present day, a man meets a woman who he becomes instantly obsessed with, and in the 1950s, this same woman destroys the lives of all those who cross her path, on a quest for... what?"

Can I get links to synposes or images of Saga, Fatale, and these other titles we're discussing?

Saga "depicts two lovers from long-warring extraterrestrial races, Alana and Marko, fleeing authorities from both sides of a galactic war as they struggle to care for their newborn daughter, Hazel, who occasionally narrates the series." It's funny yet violent, full of colorful characters and worlds. My favorite charcater is a bounty hunter named The Will. He has a Lying Cat that can tell when people are lying.

Fatale tells the story of Josephine, an archetypal femme fatale who is seemingly immortal, having survived from the 1930s through to the modern day unaged. The narrative jumps back and forth between several different time periods and a number of different points of view, primarily Jo and the various men who encounter her over the years. The majority of the action in the first book takes place in the 1950s, and the second in the 1970s, as Jo seeks to escape the dark forces which have granted her her longevity."

Prophet is old school hard core sci-fi. Think of going through Bill's old Heavy Metal magazines and reading some of that stuff. This is what Prophet is like, which is funny cause it was a Liefeld 90s rag in it's 1st incarnation.

• Upvote 1

HA! Lou & Shawn are all over this shiz-nit.

Due to all this effort, Charlie MUST buy these books, lest his guilt consume him!!! :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Based on your description of what you want to read, I'd have to go with Master of Kung Fu, from 1974.

You could try Jonathan Hickman's Avengers, based on your description. You need to start at the beginning of the series though. It features just about every superhero in the Marvel Universe fighting big cosmic threats...and it features Master of Kung Fu!

• Upvote 1

I say, like Star Wars (with better writing) crossed with Farscape with some Terry Gilliam

It's the kind of space/soap opera which might have a whole issue of the hero having an awkward conversation with his mother while fighting a monstrous naked alien giant with elephantiasis of the scrotum on a planetoid that's about to hatch.

That'll give you a flavour of the book. Lovely art, too.

here is some of why Saga is greatness.

6762111909_bfcb43339b_z1.jpg

tumblr_mdhwc05ImA1rjcxcno1_1280.png

TheStalk1.jpg

2889781-saga_010_009.jpg

entertainment-saga-1024x682.jpg

tumblr_mbyiaeDxOb1r7pwqlo1_500.jpg

it is a love story after all - albeit one with strange as fuck adult situations.

• Upvote 1

Charlie. My homeboys here can handle your comic needs infinitely better than me.

I can do the sentiment though.

You are great, 'n greatly missed. :)

And, in case you don't happen to look at other threads for a bit , but come back to this one, Pooka is Pregnant Bro!. Huzzay !

Nobody's mentioned The Unwritten yet.

No superheroes, martial arts or sf, but still the best series Vertigo has done since the [over-used word] Bond pulled the plug on Outlaw Nation.

• Upvote 1

Vertigo still has some gems as mentioned.

You're better off with them big chunky comics that they have for people with longer attention spans.

Lucifer's Mike Carey & Peter Gross on Unwritten.

Does an excellent longform story about the role of fiction in our society, told through the adventures of some fictional characters (WARNING: Metafiction ensues)

It's a great series of tales, crossing over with books you will know and love, and some that you wll think you ought to have read.

Until right now when it is crossing over with Vertigo's apparent Golden Child, the rather unsatisfying Fab Les.

Unwritten is ace though. It has a talking swearing rabbit.

Darkness was a surprise, I picked it up because of my theory that David Hine would make an excellent Hellblazer writer.

There's Loooooads of back story, but it's nicely summed up before this arc starts - a reboot. The depth of character in this book is amazing.

Jeff Lemire.

Sweet Tooth is traded, and well worth a look. A post apocalyptic road trip, think "What if Walking Dead had animal children and bastards instead of zombies?" The central story of a lost boy and his adopted father has so many twists, turns, highs, lows and emotional surges. Also any non-superhero Jeff Lemire book, plus Animal Man.

Underwater Welder will make you cry Manly Tears.

Matt Kindt's Mind MGMT is a great series, simple artwork tricks you, but this is one of the more complex thriller stories out there.

Red Handed is a lovely tale of interwoven crimes where we see the "crime" and the super detective turns up to catch them.

(Usually not red-handed.)

By the way, First Second (:01) books are ace.

http://us.macmillan.com/Content.aspx?publisher=firstsecond&id=5639

Oh, for sure Unwritten, it is the best thing being written month after month imo. Just the covers alone are worth paying full price for. And after all, it does have super heroes in it, right?.

Justice never sleeps.

Plus, Mr Sweary Rabbit. A Find your own path adventure comic/mental mire. London/Massachusetts/New York filling in as "Map = Territory" reference. The Inferno. Why Sinbad the Sailor is an uncomfortable companion on an adventure. Baron Munchausen and his horse that is too stupid not to be a flying horse. Etc. Etc.

I would like to strongly echo the Jeff Lemire/Matt Kindt love! Especially Kindt. I have yet to read something of his I didn't love (talking creator owned stuff, mind you. DC tends to muck things up). Super Spy is rather great with multiple interwoven tales of spies from WWII and early Cold War eras.

Jeff Lemire also did a fine modern re telling of The Invisible Man called Nobody

Charlie. My homeboys here can handle your comic needs infinitely better than me.

I can do the sentiment though.

You are great, 'n greatly missed. :)

And, in case you don't happen to look at other threads for a bit , but come back to this one, Pooka is Pregnant Bro!. Huzzay !

WHHATATTAAATTATTT???!!!

Are you the father? :D