Demon Chas08

Man of Steel vs Daredevil

He's obviously having a really bad day.

• Upvote 1

He's obviously having a really bad day.

Sad Batman face! Bwaaaaaaaa!

I like Affleck's Bruce Wayne (so far) and also like the set up.

But I tried to watch Man of Steel yesterday and that's five minutes of my life I will never get back.

Looks pretty good to me and I've been dead set against it. Looks like it might tie up a couple of plot threads from the last flick that were bugging me

You mean the plot thread where Superman is a dick?

I'm still not buying Gal Godat as Wonder Woman at all. You have Ben Affleck who clearly is benching a fucking a car, Henry Cavill who is also jacked, and then you bring in a women who looks like she could get broken in half quiet easily by one of them? Seriously? And it's not like she's just skinny but muscular, she still looks like she needs to eat a few steaks and put some goddamn muscle on. Which is why I still stick with saying that Gina Carano would have been the better choice, because she actually LOOKS tough and is (She did MMA for a few years before acting.) and looks like she could go toe to toe with Superman or Batman. She's not a great actress, but then neither is Gal Godot. She did fuck all in the Fast and Furious movies besides the random hot girl in them and bend over.

I did like how this movie does pick up where Man of Steel left off, with the casualties and destruction Superman and Zod caused. While, he DID save the Earth and he could use that as his trump card. (I know I would.) "You fight against that other alien caused tons of damage and killed tons of people. What do you have to say for yourself?" "I saved the Earth, So fuck off."*Flies away*

This article pretty much nails it, I think.

Superman doesn't try to beat his foes; he tries to understand them. Even when it doesn't make sense to those around him.

He literally does everything he can to turn his foes into friends. That's a million times more important to understanding Superman than knowing how much he can lift or fast he can fly or whether Batman could beat him in a fight.

That's also a perfect source of tension: When someone or something is out to not just hurt you, but everyone around you ... can you intervene in time to achieve these goals before someone else gets hurt?

It's what Grant Morrison got so right in his All-star Superman, which convinced even me (a Superman nay-sayer) that good Superman stories are indeed possible.

Zack Snyder is a lost cause, I'm sorry to say. I liked his Superman well enough, but his propensity for over the top messianic imagery irks me, and, you know, all the wind and length.

I hope it does well but I'm looking much, much more forward to Suicide Squad.

This is pure gold.

Even on the terms of his most generous depictions, Batman is a dingus. He is a trust-fund billionaire who puts on a balaclava with ears so that he can do technology-enhanced karate at pickpockets and muggers; who sinks his fortune into paramilitary hardware in support of his one-man campaign to punch a major city into peace; whose concept of justice is throwing on his Goth Navy SEAL costume and terrifying people so they’ll follow the rules better; who evidently has never once considered that Gotham City’s continued awfulness might refute his methods. He throws darts shaped like his brand logo. He’s Jeff Bezos on steroids and paint-thinner fumes. He is a choad.

Imagine, if you can, the kind of grown-ass man who, privileged with essentially unlimited wealth and free time and inspired to do some good in the world with it, sits down and dreams up the following list of tools he will need:

Bat-shaped shuriken

A gun that fires a grappling hook

A helmet with ears

Ninja fighting skills

A large cutout bat silhouette, so that the police can notify me by spotlight when there are some criminals to karate-chop for them

This is the list of a moron. Even George W. Bush’s list (“The Wite Hows; My Dade’s Frens”) was better than this list. The young billionaire industrialist who makes this list needs a fucking trustee to manage his wealth for him, and probably to cut his hot dogs into little half-circles so that he will not choke to death.

More than that, his entire concept of how to interact with the world is stupid. Scare the bad guys with karate is the least helpful, most moronic thing a young billionaire could do with his wealth and free time, short of building a doomsday device. If he quit with the crime-fighter malarkey, stayed home playing Xbox, and literally just paid property tax on all the shit he owns, he’d do more good than he does as Batman, because at least he would not be beating the shit out of people and undermining the civic justice system.

Also:

Man of Steel’s Superman is a heedless, incoherent, city-wrecking alien menace—a grim ’n’ gritty anti-heroic thermonuclear bomb in a cape and tights. He is very un-Superman-like. He might as well be, like, Osama bin Laden, who also destroyed skyscrapers full of innocent people for what he believed were good reasons. The tentacled aliens in Independence Day probably thought they were preserving something worth leveling a major city for, too. If Batman fights this version of Superman, the thing to root for is for both of them to be vaporized by a meteor made of kryptonite.
  • Upvote 1

I respectfully disagree. Lex Luthor is the only character remotely interesting in this trailer.

Luthor is awful.

So. Doomsday then? I sort of feel like a mutated Krypton should be Bizarro. I felt that way since Superman Returns, that when Luthor stabbed Kel El with the Kryptonite, that he should have tried to genetically create his own Superman, which would fail miserably and become Bizarro.

And is that a Robin suit that's been spray painted on?

Really not expecting much from this flick but it looks alright, I suppose.

Luthor is awful.

So. Doomsday then? I sort of feel like a mutated Krypton should be Bizarro. I felt that way since Superman Returns, that when Luthor stabbed Kel El with the Kryptonite, that he should have tried to genetically create his own Superman, which would fail miserably and become Bizarro.

And is that a Robin suit that's been spray painted on?

Really not expecting much from this flick but it looks alright, I suppose.

Bizarro would make more sense with the dream sequence and with Luthor using him to tarnish Superman's image.

Barfleck good.

There's a bunch of stuff that is blatantly there to set up future movies and it is pretty cringeworthy.

The worst I've seen from Snyder, which is saying something.

Characters do things and things happen that are really awkward in execution and make little sense. It sort of lumbers along until one point when Bats is abruptly standing on a rooftop and apparently its going down. And then they reconcile because both their mothers are named Martha. Animosity gone.

The worldbuilding is pretty cringeworthy. And it comes in two lumps; there's a subplot about Wonder Woman [blackout]stealing some files from Bruce, who himself stole from Luthor. Then she gives them to Bruce because they're encrypted so he decrypts them and when he sees the files include a WWI picture of Diana, he... He forward them to her, and they happen to include other footage of Aquaman, the Flash, and Cyborg.

And that footage is also shown. In its entirety. We get treated to an extended shot of Aquaman scowling and slowly punching an underwater camera. A glimpse, if at all, would have sufficed, but not for the Snyderector.[/blackout]

And aside from jumping in to help in the climax, that's the extent of Wonder Woman's involvement.

The other lump is a sequence where Bruce has a dream of living in a post-apocalyptic world under Superman's tyranny, [/blackout]which is followed by Bruce waking up, and then having a stranger bursting in through time and space to warn him of future happenings. And then he wakes for real.[/blackout]

It might have been meant something for those versed in the DC universe but it came off as ridiculous for me.

Batman and Alfred are great. Superman is sort of a reactive character and doesn't do as much. Lex Zuckerberg kind of grew on me.