Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

A carving I made.

Avaunt    274

izsxae.jpg

A year ago I came across a carving tool set on sale, and even though it was a hundred dollars i could have spent on Rum and other essentials, I brought it. A Dremmel tool if anyone knows what that is. Anyway, I put it on a shelf and kept meaning to give it a whirl. A year later . . . lol.

I had a funny idea for a Hei Tiki pendent, because Hei Tiki are kind of guard figures, and Joe Dredd is kind of a Guard figure, you get the idea. Plus Hei Tiki will have a contorted face, like someone scowling or bulging out their eyes and poking out their tongue, to look threatening. Old Stoney Face doesn't need to pull faces, just jut his jaw ! lol.

The Eagle on his shoulder is now a Manaia figures head, which is a kind of spirit animal you get in carvings and they kind of indicate a special person, they are supposed to be spirit go-betweens that bring the hero/priest/chief secrets and guidance and bestow strength. A carving of some ancestor famed for his intelligence and learning will have a Manaia perched on his shoulder, with its beak biting his ear. One of an ancestor famed for his courage will have a Manaia peeking out under his armpit, beak buried in his chest. And one famed for the swift decisive blow will have a Manaia in his hand, with its beak either biting his thumb or often bared as a threat to opponents.

Anyway, I was a bit taken back of how easily the tool took bone away. Actually it was a bit too easy, and some few bits got taken which meant I didn't make it exactly as I had in my mind, plus it would be too easy to undermine the strength of the pendent itself because you got too frilly. You never do that when using normal chisels, take my word for it, frilly = far too much work to be under taken without a lot more care. This Dremmel tool was like "Maybe I could . . . opps, that is rather a deep trench I just swiped into the work . . . hmm, if I ARRRGH, fuck, now he has two mouths !" :) I shall do some more I think.

Anyway, having made it I decided to give it to the comic shop guy because of how many things he does for our community, so, Colson. Plus, what was I going to do with more shit sitting on my bench?.

• Upvote 2

Akhira    29

That's a pretty good likeness of Dredd. You could make more and sell those on etsy.

JasonT    439

Yeah, nice job, cousin. I ask you this with a straight face: where did you get the bone from?

Avaunt    274

Went down the supermarket , to the butcher department, and said "Oi, you with the bloody apron on, two cannon bones fer me dog please". It is just the cows equivalent of the shin bone. They don't bother putting them out on the counters, but people buy them for the dogs to chew, cost two bucks fifty cents a Kg.

I do have a 300 mm long, 100 wide, 25 thick piece of whale bone I found washed up once, that I am looking at making stuff out of. Much coarser material, wouldn't take a polish at all. Kind of like an extremely coarse grained wood, most singular material.

This Tiki is pretty rough, I deliberately went for a kind of primitive, sketchy kind of take on a Judge. A poorman's Brendan McCarthy or Mike McMahon in the sort of art he drew The Fink stories in, rather than the sort of detail you get in Carlos Ezquerra Dredd.

Partly I did that because I didn't want to put in the extreme effort a perfectly done piece needs, you can get pretty fucking fractal with detail in carving, each bit deeper you go requires the same depth all over, if you see what I am trying to say. And I didn't plan on keeping it, wasn't doing it particularly for anyone, just plying the tool to try it out. However, I also thought it was amusingly related to a Tiki, they are not that detailed, more broad characterture of a figure than detailed.

You can always put more into a thing than you could ever charge someone for, you know. It took about 4 or 5 hours all up. So just labour, would have to be $100 to be really worth doing as a job. However, people sell Tiki on the street for 15 or 20 dollars, make in China, made out of a composite plastic, it looks pretty close to a bone carving, but is a casting.

To make money at it, you would need to do them to order, and then people get choosey and complicated specific designs. People do do it of course, but it is not as easy as it seems, and only the real craftsmen make good money at it. Like most things.

I just like playing.

I made one once ( a really successful whales tail, I was proud of that one ) for a work friends visitor from the UK, and he gave it to her wrapped up and when she opened it, was horrified and angry. Cows were taboo for her family religion apparently, and she recognised it was cow bone straight away. lol. The work friend was mighty embarrassed at what he thought was his wasting my time, but again, I had done it to amuse myself and to do something nice for his friend, and it was no worry to me that it was for nothing after all. I laughed about it actually.

Avaunt    274

They make some amazingly cool toys in that Americaland place, did you realise?. :tongue:

"I want to abrade away small amounts of material"

http://www.dremel.com/Pages/default.aspx

"I want to abrade away large amounts of material"

:boogie:

Dremmel tools are cool, but what makes them exemplary, almost matchless, are the accessories. And the way they clicky click together is very satisfying, almost fun in itself to set the various tools up. Very nice* engineering and finishing on all the tiny accessories. . The tiny little polishing wheel part, looks to the unobservant merely like a drum on a shaft. But the surface of the drum is a durable rubber, the shaft pokes through the middle and there is a tiny washer cap set on the end of the shaft. The shaft is tapped for a thread. You unscrew a fine small screw to release the washer cap. And here is the tricky, and I have to say, almost "American Signature" thing. The screw and washer, tightening onto the shaft, squeezes the rubber drum Through its axis which swells it through its radius, and That in its turn, locks the polishing roll into place.

Very satisfying.

* Used here in the clinical sense of the word.

Avaunt    274

2rem97s.jpg

Anyone recognise him?. I am scanning the things because I can't be bothered borrowing one of the kids cameras.

I had a really cool idea to make a bust of Dredd out of stone. I am going to try a small one first, then get a big Papa rock lump and make a life-sized one. Old Stoney Face :tongue:

Avaunt    274

I am going to, if I could just get some spare time.

Does anyone have a favourite comic character, and more specifically, a favourite shot of said character by a PARTICULAR ARTIST?. "Roll up, roll up, everyone wins a prize*, first come first served". Specify if you prefer not to have dead animal bits/are happy with dead animal bits. Bone or hardwood, see?. All animals will be something like Ameglian Major Cows, I am certain, and quite willing to be slaughtered to provide a hack with something to hack.

I am a bit disappointed that no-one has been able to say who the second character is, have a guess you mugs, I won't be upset if you say "Popeye" or "Gumby" (Which are both wrong hahahaha). I want to see if I have made him "like" enough to himself for you to be able to just look and say "'tis so and so, of course".

I admit that a scan isn't the best view for you to have to be guessing, but give it a try anyway. Don't worry about hurting my feelings . . . :)

I plan on doing the Joker from the Hitman comic where he is hanging upside down and Tommy shoots him. Cause it is a nice friendly laugh on Jokers face just before he gets shot. I ain't got time to be carving people pulling nasty faces, lifes too short for that sort of bad karma.

*The skill of the carver will, certainly, be questionable, and yet also final. No comparisons to "A child working in silly putty on a hot day" will be listened to, however valid. All postage difficulties i.e. Customs and Agriculture descending on the post office because cows are endangered species, will be recipients sole problem and the only help offered will be in the form of a form letter declaring the complete lack of acquaintance with recipient, and a encouraging suggestion that rubber gloves and K.Y. jelly might well be in order.

Red    467

I would really like Odin from the Valhalla comics:

valhall-3-odins-veddemaal-fn-1-opplag-2-utgave.jpg

Avaunt    274

Gimme some links to various "Classic" or "Iconic" pictures of him, and his Birds, mate more detail the better. Dead cow pieces or wood?.

You understand that this will almost certainly be like when you go up to Some comic artist and ask him to draw some Character that he didn't develop himself?.

You know, you ask for a Silver Surfer from Timm and you get this

http://www.garygretsky.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/timm-ss.jpg

Not this

http://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/dynamics/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2011/08/2.jpg

(Everyone going " . . . did Tigger just try to compare himself to Bruce Timm ?"

Bwahahahaha)

Red    467
Avaunt    274

BONE! Not wood.

Anything else would be a serious offense to the God of Death.

Right, good point, though it might be appropriate if you could just tell me which sort of tree Yggdrasil was, and I could get a bit of it?. :tongue:. Anyway, slaughter-leavings it is then.

Hey, I wonder if that explains something important about Him?. You know how he is the god with all the names?. No other god quite like him for having extra names and attributes and avatars, etc?. Was he really just concerned with giving himself the most possibly opportunities to take offense and wreak his wrath on the impious?.

"What is this?. You are beachcombing without making obeisance in my holy name of "Tide-Combing-Cowled-One" I beachcombed all the time in my wanderings, you craven blasphemer, beachcombing IS MINE ! ! ! !" *Lightning, storm winds, Ravens picking over scattered bones*

Avaunt    274

Hmmm.... I may try to get a Jeremy Tableau or Is'nana, The WereSpider out of this....

OK, but you do all the hunting of design work, my dear, because I would put very little enthusiasm into looking at pictures of spiders. :) I won't have any problem at all with doing the carving mind you, so fire away.

Actually, because I am of that sort of frame of mind, see if you can't compile a few Haitian folk art designs of carving for me to look at. How to explain what I mean . . .

Different peoples around the joint, depict the various commonplace things humanity as a whole uses, in a very particular, local way. Maybe they represent clothing with a hatch work of lines. Maybe they depict eyes wide open, or half closed. Maybe they have the carvings holding tools, or with open hands, or something. If you spend any time looking at a variety of peoples local carvings, you will see what I mean. The local little tweaks are a kind of shorthand, a homeliness, a flavour. And if you get me some various links to look at, it would be most efficient, because I would have to spend a long time to get the understanding you have from your mothers-milk, as it were.

You are talking about me doing something of an African god, right, but he is informed in your perception, by Haitian custom, you see what I mean?.

We had spiders here, of course, but do you know, I can't think of a single Maori story about them?. And can't remember ever even seeing a single depiction of them or their works, in any Maori folk art, pre-European or afterwards?. Curious. Anyway, the point of that is, I can't do you a "Genuine" "Maori" influenced Anansi. Which is a shame because, personally I think that would rock.

"Oh, this?. This is Anansi, when he went to Havaiki* on his holidays. He was on his best behaviour as a guest so far from home . . . of course, this just meant he made sure none of his tricks found him to blame. My Kiwi mate made it for me". lol.

Though thinking about that, I could very very easily make an Anansi carving in a Maori style . . .

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiki

Avaunt    274

Hey, Red mate, I am thinking that Odin in this artists rendering is all about a strong nose and a single eye, plus beard and hair, right?. I think I am are going to have to get a little inventive or subtle with it, metaphorical even. It just seems to me that unless I do a one to one rendition of one of the frames of the comic-Odin you gave me, there isn't a lot to make it distinctive.

Did you have any thoughts of what particularly you wanted, mate?. I mean, I can very easily do a direct copy of one of the shots, is that what you wanted?.

Or I could sort of riff on the idea of our Storm-bringing, High Forehead, Wanderer.

What is your thoughts on the idea, mate.

Which is his Rune, do you know?.

Your PM link don't work, might be too full I think.

Red    467

BONE! Not wood.

Anything else would be a serious offense to the God of Death.

Right, good point, though it might be appropriate if you could just tell me which sort of tree Yggdrasil was, and I could get a bit of it?. :tongue:. Anyway, slaughter-leavings it is then.

Hey, I wonder if that explains something important about Him?. You know how he is the god with all the names?. No other god quite like him for having extra names and attributes and avatars, etc?. Was he really just concerned with giving himself the most possibly opportunities to take offense and wreak his wrath on the impious?.

"What is this?. You are beachcombing without making obeisance in my holy name of "Tide-Combing-Cowled-One" I beachcombed all the time in my wanderings, you craven blasphemer, beachcombing IS MINE ! ! ! !" *Lightning, storm winds, Ravens picking over scattered bones*

Haha! Actually, I don't think so. The fact that he uses sooooooo many different names (more than 200!) has more to do with him being a god of magic and mysteries. In the poems he likes to wander the worlds incognito. His many names also refer to his different aspects.

The norse gods weren't spiteful or jealous in the way you say here. They were more...human. They could be jealous and spiteful and irrational, but not because of a lack of kowtowing obeisance the way Yahweh is in the Bible. It was usually for more...human reasons, like someone screwing their wife, or stealing their stuff, or the like.

As for what image I want, a basic rendition of his head would be nice. Feel free to embellish and be creative though, if you want to. I trust your judgment :)

Avaunt    274

As for what image I want, a basic rendition of his head would be nice. Feel free to embellish and be creative though, if you want to. I trust your judgment :)

Done and done. Trust is never misplaced.

*Thinks that he hangs the phone up*

". . . I wonder if that sounded sincere and convincing? . . . ha ha ha . . . Muahahahahaha! . . . *Tap tap* Is this thing still on?"

• Upvote 1

Avaunt    274

Oi, Mr Red, same address I had for you before?. =] I made a Grim Grey-Beard for you. I used a different carving style, kind of a drawing style or something, I forget the name for it. And I think it is OK. ( Hint, that was me being modest lol) Yer PM thingy still don't work.

Avaunt    274

So, same address it is then. lol. I just showed it to my nephew, and he was like [teenage indifference] "Oh yes, where did you get that then, Gandalf is it?".[/teenage indifference]

No, I made it with this carving set up, and it is Thors dad, Odin the Wanderer.

*completely stunned expression* "What the fuck, you are joking, you made that? . . . HOW?, what is it made out of?, it doesn't look like bone, is it bone, omfg ! ! ?".

Sad to think how his expectations of me have changed since he was six. He used to think Tiggers could do anything. lol.

• Upvote 1

Avaunt    274

As for the "doesn't get there" thing, we will let that deal with its own Karma. I am tempted to put a postcard in with it and ask the customs guys to send the postcard on if they decide that animal products are too naughty, or something.

I'm going to do what I always do when sending something that might trigger a search, I will have to fill out a parcel label here, so I will put "Board game counter and dice" on it, where it asks for a description of contents.

• Upvote 1

Avaunt    274

Well, it seriously isn't the right shape to photograph properly in the scanner, Lou, I can see it just wouldn't work. I used the shape of the bone extremely, and deliberately, so it would look like "This has been carved in A Bone", a part of Odins fiefdom, his normal spoils. And I got no camera, should have asked Nick to take a shot last night, shouldn't I. We will let Red do it, anyway, I don't want to spoil it for him.

These Tigers of yours, they got an iconic image, or even better, a joking iconic image?. =]

• Upvote 1