Jackstarr

Seen Constanteen ? Talk about it in here!

Guest spiderlegs
Gabriel's a half-breed ? "You're fucked" - heh.

I wondered about this, too. If Gabriel isn't a half-breed, he couldn't be there, could he?

that Onion review was brill!

favorite bit :

"The film's biggest revision isn't in not making him blonde, or not making him British. It's in not making him human."

That was disappointing - overlong and terribly boring in parts.

Started off strong but faded out less than a half-hour in.

5/10.

You'll go to Hell for watching dodgy internet downloads !

Unless you've read our old friend Matadoom's latest tract over at the forum you don't want to hear about: The way to redeem yourself over watching a dodgy bootleg movie is to watch another dodgy bootleg movie in order to attract the MPAA and when they turn up, tell them that the BBFC are in the next room making dodgy copies to go out on the internet. When the MPAA return asking how you would like to be rewarded, say "I'd like my eyes gouged out and the part of my brain where memory of the film is stored to be burned away. So I can watch it again at the cinema."

They will forgive you.

Hi everyone,

I am new here and been reading this thread. I have to be honest, I have never read the comic - I had heard of it though. I saw the movie and loved it, but I also wondered how far they strayed from the comic. I love the X-men movies, I love the new Punisher Movie (and I am a big fan of the old comics), i liked the first 2 Batman - but I really wondered how true they stayed to the comic; and from what I am hearing it is not good. I have been wondering about the tat's on his forearms - they don't explain it in the movie at all; hell they don't even talk about it then its like WTF? So can someone please explain that to me - is that even something he has in the comics or is that another bastardization of the movie?

Thanks all!

I have been wondering about the tat's on his forearms - they don't explain it in the movie at all; hell they don't even talk about it then its like WTF?  So can someone please explain that to me - is that even something he has in the comics or is that another bastardization of the movie?

Thanks all!

Welcome, mrmaiden666. Glad to have you aboard.

I'd wager to say no one has any clue about those tattoos - they're most definitely not an element from the comic, and the movie certainly doesn't bother to explain why they're necessary to summon Gabriel.

I just saw this movie for the second time, yes I liked it. I have to say that from the sound of it I wouldn't have been so jazzed about it if I had ever read the comic. More than likely true but I have never been so critical of a movie adaption that I hated the film for not "being true". I will now make a broad generalization saying that few comic book adaptions are ever true to the original. I love the x-men movies but they screw with the chronology far too much. Regardless, still they entertain which is exactly what Constantine did for me. Two thumbs up.

I have read all the posts in this thread and would like to make a few comments/observations. First, if I was John Constantine, I would NOT thumb my nose at Heaven. Considering the alternative...I will suck up to not be damned (if possible). I do not know what the circumstances are in the comic (nor do any of my friends as the comic doesn't appear to be widely popular when compared to other DC titles that have been made into movies i.e. Batman, Superman) and as the average movie goer, I don't really care.

Why did John get the free pass to Heaven? Even with all the hypocracy amongst the divine and the damned God couldn't really ignore the sacrifice of John giving up Lu's offer of an extension to save a damned soul of an innocent (mostly anyway) girl. More importantly John gave up whatever life he had left to save all of humanity, despite the fact that he knew and didn't necessarily believe. Sure, it was a pale second to what Jesus did, but in my opinion it is close enough to merit a reprieve.

Gabriel a halfbreed? Was on the plane and John calls the angel such, so I guess so. Since I don't know how halfbreeds come about in the first place, it didn't really concern me. Angels don't fully come onto this plane and demons aren't supposed to but from time to time cheat....makes sense to me. The tattoo that he use to force Gabriel 'into the light' didn't summon the angel but revealed its presence.

I have been aware of this movie for a month or so, I have known that it was based on a comic for slightly less time. The comic didn't inspire me to see the film, but the film did definately inspire me to read the comic.

On a scale of 1:10 for a Hellblazer adaption...

SURVEY SAYS: 2/10 - The only thing that kept this movie from making me completly forget about the comic was the fact that there were scenes taken specifically from Danergous Habits (ie: John's conversation with Gabriel, John hacking up in the bathroom. As a result I fell into this blissful state of disinterest with Keanu by the middle of the movie (it also might have been the exsessive amount of weed we smoked before we went in)

There were some good lines in the movie, though. I had to give it to Reeves because I think he did as best he could with the changes in the character that was so permentant and important.

Papa Midnite was impressive. I liked his whole vibe, and acted more magically connected than Constantine in some scenes. I can't believe that pot of water and cat scene made it into the movie. What the fuck can you be thinking?!

That ending was utter blasphamy to everything I hold true. Fuck!

In the middle of the movie, my friend fell asleep.

As a movie itself...

SURVEY SAYS: 6/10

Even if I manage to get wasted and pretend this has nothing to do with bring Hellblazer to the big screen in the worst way, I still see so many problems with the plot itself.

I've got a friend that works at the ticket counter in downtown Ybor so I didn't pay. That's my finger to the suits in charge at WB.

As a movie to watch when your blazed...

SURVEY SAYS: Hey, demons, CGI, and smoking (a constant thing which was good and bad for me), with Rachel Wiez and one excellent exorcism scene really doesn't dissapoint the popcorn movie side of me.

I have read all the posts in this thread and would like to make a few comments/observations. First, if I was John Constantine, I would NOT thumb my nose at Heaven. Considering the alternative...I will suck up to not be damned (if possible).

...which is why you're not John Constantine, and neither is Keanu's character.

Thanks for the thoughts, though. It's always nice to see the film through the eyes of someone who's never read the comics.

I saw Constantine on Saturday with my best friend in New Orleans. We both dig Hellblazer, and over a few rounds at O'Flaherty's afterwards, decided...it really wasn't that bad.

Keanu Reeves was, of course, the film's weakest link, but he did a surprisingly good job given the monumental cock-up that was the descision to cast him as John. He got a lot of the poses and posturing right, and it seemed that he'd done his research on the character.

With the exception of Midnite(Djimon Honosou), I didn't much care for John's set of friends, either. They had some pretty gruesome death scenes, but apart from that, they were just...odd. Definitely nowhere near Header or Rick caliber.

However, I did like the opening exorcism, and the CG trip to Hell wasn't too shabby either. The movie had a great look to it as well. I thought the crew really nailed the "grungy urban horror" feel. The overall plot, loosely lifted from Dangerous Habits wasn't too bad either.

Acting wise, Peter Stormare was fun as Lucifer. Rachel Weisz remains cute. Tilda Swinton as Gabriel was the most interesting casting choice in the film.

As comic book adaptations go, I liked it a lot better than "Daredevil," "Elektra" and "The Hulk." If I hadn't read the comic books, I would have probably given "Constantine" higher marks. As it stands: 6.5 out of 10. I hope its box office success gets more people reading the monthly title so we get more of the older issues in trade paperback.

On a side note, my buddy and I came up with our ideal Constantine cast after five or so rounds. Sorry if this has been done to death already:

Paul Bettany......Constantine

Vinne Jones......Chas

Kate Beckinsale.....Kit

John Cleese.....Rick the Vic

Robert Carlyle(Bigbie from Trainspotting)......Header

Liam Nesson.....Brendan

Killer rabbit from Monty Python.....Mange

Keanu Reeves......S.W. Manor

Oh yeah. Selkie, in your review of the film, you mentioned it gave you a James Ellroy vibe. I kinda felt that too. I've read most of his books, and am a big fan of his work. Any idea when the sequel to "Cold Six Thousand" is coming out?

Keanu Reeves was, of course, the film's weakest link

<snippity>

Oh yeah. Selkie, in your review of the film, you mentioned it gave you a James Ellroy vibe. I kinda felt that too. I've read most of his books, and am a big fan of his work. Any idea when the sequel to "Cold Six Thousand" is coming out?

You might be interested to know that James Ellroy is scheduled to write a film script with Spike Lee directing and Reeves as the main character called The Night Watchman. It's a noir piece about a disgraced LA cop. Not sure about the time the story is to take place.

As for me, saw the film, loved the film. Had a few minor problems with the plot but that was only after my second viewing. (If a plot works for me emotionally, and this one did, then I don't really care that much about logic.) I'll see it again, and I'm looking forward to a sequel--in which JC is smoking again, and Chaz does not appear. I'd like to see a lot more of Papa Midnite, who fortunately was not killed off.

<snippity>

As for me, saw the film, loved the film. Had a few minor problems with the plot but that was only after my second viewing. (If a plot works for me emotionally, and this one did, then I don't really care that much about logic.) I'll see it again, and I'm looking forward to a sequel--in which JC is smoking again, and Chaz does not appear. I'd like to see a lot more of Papa Midnite, who fortunately was not killed off.

"ditto" :biggrin:

<snippity>

"ditto" :biggrin:

I have to say that I am glad that I am not the only one here who liked the movie.... I to am looking forward to a sequal - I am hoping they explain the arm tattoos as well. I wanted to know more back ground on Papa, and Satan was played very well. They should have put about another hours worth of background in the original.

~this is coming from someone who has never read the Hellblazer though

Not a clue, unfortunately.

Haven't yet seen the film but I am reminded of these little gems:

Stigmata

The Order

End of Days

Bless the Child

Lost Souls

Compared to this array of Hollywood-ized Catholicism, how does Keanu-steen hold up?

I think my wife summed it best when she said "It's a bunch of ideas they just nailed together." The emblem of this film should be the soldier demon--kinda neat looking, but no brains whatsoever. Loads of special effects, and very little to hold them together. Homages were rampant: Dogma, The Exorcist, The Prophecy, Matrix. There's far more of these films involved than there is any Hellblazer.

Their Catholicism is an unspeakable mish-mash. Gabriel is an archangel. Says so in Catholic doctrine. Once again, the screenwriters picked the pieces they wanted, and expected us to ignore the rest. Further, they could have used something like an actual exorcism rite, rather than just saying "In nomine patris, fili, et spiritu sancti" over and over. Although I suppose great wodges of Latin might have overtaxed the actors.

I want Angela's gun. It fires 28 shots without a reload.

The directing is that "Fincheresque" feel--they definitely used a green filter, and they god a lot of footage out of Los Angeles' seedy underside. This is the very first film in which Heaven finally has better threads than Hell.

If we have to have a sequel, can it be about Gabriel? Tilda Swindon was by far the best thing about this film; she stole every scene she was in. Even her lines were better than everyone else's.

Saw the first trailers for Constantine today: they're finally airing in Portugal. Hell looks like a junkyard!

I'll probably watch it next week...

Guest spiderlegs
Haven't yet seen the film but I am reminded of these little gems:

Stigmata

The Order

End of Days

Bless the Child

Lost Souls

Compared to this array of Hollywood-ized Catholicism, how does Keanu-steen hold up?

Come on, Stigmata wasn't THAT bad...was it?

I've seen it twice, re-read the half-a##ed comic book adaptation and reading John Shirley's book (which I dig). Overall, my opinion of the movie hasn't changed much.

I loved it. True, it wasn't exactly the comics, but this is Hollywood buying a property. I've come to expect the changes and cherish them.

It's not the comics John Constantine but it is an American Constantine that works, enough so that I want a sequel.

As for the trouble with the details, some information on this board has truly help and much thanks to John Shirley for a breakdown.

There is more substance in one page of John Shirley's version than in the entire script, comic adaptation and what I have seen of the film.

Ask me nicely and I'll tell you which page.