Sign in to follow this  
metanoia

I am (read) Batman

I've been on a bit of a Batman binge lately partially inspired by Mark and Rohan discussing Batman at length at the meet up and realising I hadn’t read much at all.

I’ve re-read;

Year One

The Dark Knight returns

Killing joke

A Death in the Family

And read for the first time;

The Knightfall saga (all 3 massive volumes)

Hush

Long Halloween

The man who Laughed

The Black Casebook

Battle for the Cowl

Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader

Grant Morrisons run – which I’m up to The return of Bruce Wayne

Really enjoyed Morrisons run so far with the exception of Final Crisis (just too much going on off page and tie ins I don’t have). Hush was great and Knighfall was good at the start but kind of got a bit samey.

So what next? Is the new 52 stuff any good? What do you recommend ? What should be avoided at all costs?

• Upvote 1

I like the New 52 stuff.

Big fan of the Morrison stuff too, so you should check out all of Batman Incorporated. I liked that even better than the main title.

You should also track down a collected verison of "Going Sane" from the old Tales of the Dark Knight series.

I have it, but have yet to read it, Batman: The Black Mirror by Scott Snyder and Jock.

I have the all of Batman Incorporated lined up next. I do have the first 30 odd issues of Legends of the Dark Knight in floppies, will have to dig them out in a game of pick a long box (really must get around to sorting them all out one day)

Legends of the Dark Knight had some great stuff. "Terminus" by Jaime Delano and Chric Bachalo comes to mind.

Batman Black Mirror and Batman Gates Of Gotham are both excellent IMO. Scott Snyder writing Dick Grayson as Bats - great stuff.

The Steve Englehart stories from the '70s (collected as Strange Apparitions, but now out of print for reasons that have never been made adequetely clear) are rather wonderful.

Any collection of the old Neal Adams Batman will be worth a look as well: Titan used to do a collection of just Man Bat stories, which is hugely good. That one turns up on ebay occasionally...

Legends of the Dark Knight had some great stuff. "Terminus" by Jaime Delano and Chric Bachalo comes to mind.

Yep, the first year or three of the first Legends of the Dark Knight had some top-notch stories.

The Steve Englehart stories from the '70s (collected as Strange Apparitions, but now out of print for reasons that have never been made adequetely clear) are rather wonderful.

Any collection of the old Neal Adams Batman will be worth a look as well ...

That, and the 1979-80 Detective Comics with Don Newton and Dan Adkins on art.

The Alan Grant run on Detective Comics.

Pete Milligan's 'Dark Knight Dark City' arc usually makes an appearance in these lists. The Doug Moench / Kelley Jones run on Batman is rewarding if you take it as young readers' comics, and the art is gorgeous. And Gotham Central.

Unfortunately, a lot of good Batman work was never collected.

Only very few issues of the O'Neil/Adams run were collected (mostly the Ra's Al Ghul story-arcs), no Alan Grant, no "Dark Knight, Dark City". For some reason, the Engelhart TPB is out of print now. Even, on the lesser but still a very good read side, the Moench/Jones run hasn't been Traded.

There are some Legend of the Dark Knight TPBs now, at least, but it looks like the Jamie Delano story has gone uncollected, which is a crime.

I don't see anything missing from what's been mentioned already in this thread.