Shawn

Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron. Now Bendis-Free!

I just could not get into this flick, and I love this kind of shit. There really didn't seem to be much of a plot, other than 'sell more toys'. There didn't seem to be much of a solid reason for doing anything. The action was great, but when that wasn't going on there was really nothing to hold my attention. And what the fuck was up with the Thor side plot? That made no sense.

You're right about the Thor subplot, but here's why:

One of Whedon's first cuts for Avengers: Age of Ultron clocked in at three hours and 15 minutes. The final run time is about two hours and 20 minutes. And Thor's spelunking subplot is a casualty of nearly an hour's worth of edited material.

"The original scene was that he went to speak to the Norns," Whedon said, referring to female beings in Norse mythology who control destiny. Basically, Norns are analogous to The Fates in Greek Mythology. "How it would work was, he goes into the pool, and the Norns possess him, basically. And Erik Selvig asks all the questions, and the Norns, speaking through Thor, give the answers."

As for the main plot, that was pretty straightforward: In a misguided attempt at making World Peace, Tony Stark created a digital monster, which then spent the rest of the film trying to annihilate humanity. The Avengers barely stop him. In the process they discover a couple of mutant kids, create a superhero and argue a lot.

• Upvote 1

Cheers for that link.

Yeah, I get it, but to me the whole thing was a bit much 'by the numbers' with no real feel to it. No real reason behind anything. It didn't feel like a film, but rather a marketing vehicle to sell more pajamas, toys, games, etc. Maybe the first film wasn't much better than that but at least it had the fine acting chops of Tom Hiddleston.

Saw this over Christmas and was really disappointed with it - the first movie was fantastic but this was just a big smelly mess. Disjointed would be a kind word for it, I think.

I did like...spoilers follow (been out too long to be tagging)...the misdirection on Quicksilver's death, I think they even managed to earn his smarmy "You didn't see that coming" which was ridiculously (if deliberately) on the nose. Building Hawkeye up for an apparently obvious death and then to have that kid out there...needing saving...with the movie just done...they nailed it.

State of the New Avengers at the end, no-one* wants to see that movie!

*Bookmark this for when it makes 3 billion dollars.

• Upvote 1