JohnMcMahon

I do believe I've seen it all now...

Awesome. I was having a shit day, and that's cheered me right up.

If you've got to have a DCU Constantine, you might as well really commit to it. Those first three panels entertain me more than almost anything in the final two years of Milligan's Hellblazer. Yeah, it's bloody stupid, but it's also clearly being done by a writer who is well aware of that fact and has decided to have some fun with it anyway.

• Upvote 1

Stockholm Syndrome has reached Oslo ?

(I was thinking it was proof that with Giffen's writing, you might be able to polish a turd of an idea)

The Masters of the Universe parts are the more tolerable parts.

Oh, I haven't read the comic itself, nor do I intend to. But the idea, and those panels? Hilarious, and I'm quite sure deliberately so.

I'm not kidding even slightly, by the way. Based on the three and a half issues of Constantine and the two issues of Justice League Dark I read*, a lot of NuDC Constantine's appearances so far have been trying a bit too hard to do diet-Hellblazer with superheroes in the background, the mere idea of which bores me rigid. If you're going to stick him into a superhero universe, you might as well take advantage of it to do some batshit nonsense that you'd never have been able to even think about when Hellblazer itself was still a going concern (for the record, I feel the same way about those few panels of him SHAZAMing himself into a Captain Marvel-ish state, although I still think they missed a trick by not having him light a cigarette using the lightning bolt).

I've got naff-all interest in this version of the character, and as soon as Williams has actually left Batwoman I'll be reading exactly nothing from the current iteration of the DC Universe. But if I've got to be vaguely aware in the back of my head that there's a superhero-adjacent version of Constantine bouncing around out there somewhere, I'd rather think of him making piss-takey guest appearances in ridiculous nonsense like a Masters Of The Universe crossover than piddling around in a half-arsed pseudo-grownup backwater with a bunch of other orphaned Vertigo characters.

*This is, I appreciate, quite possibly an unrepresentative sample, and if I'm wrong I can only apologize to the fine writers over at DC who I'm quite sure are doing sterling work under the circumstances.

This sounds more interesting that what's currently happening in the mothly. But so does collecting my belly-button lint.

Although it will give me ammunition to stick it to my Skeletor-loving co-worker.

I have no words.

Worry not, friend. I do!

What in the actual fuck are they doing?!?!?

Or can we choose to view this as some weird subversive way for a few writers to give meta commentary on the ridiculous world that is DC?

Here is a simple equation to help you with that:

i *(DC) < 0

Unfamiliar with your terms, is (small) i standing for their integrity, or imagination there?. I have to say though, I am slightly agreeing with Mr McMahon. Pretty cool that "our" Jonathans reputation reaches both up and down the graded mythologies.

Also, Marlena of Two Worlds?, pretty quick on the uptake, he does lack automatic, conventional "respect" for her. She should console herself though, with the fact that he doesn't respect God or the Devil or anyone between, either, so she is in good company on his "Has to earn my respect" list.

Of course, there is that tiresome "Women are allowed to physically assault men on their whims' and fancies' urgings, but men are brutes for looking at a passing woman" thing going on again. Par for the course until enough moral people speak up about it. I know there are a lot of moral people around, they have spent forty years bleating in my ear about the issues they dislike on the moral grounds.

Torn between

et tu, Giffen?... *sheds manly tears*

and

I'm not going to lie, I quite like the notion of John Constantine as inter-reality urban myth.