JohnMcMahon

Should they rename "Hellblazer" to "Constantine" ?

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should they rename "Hellblazer" to "Constantine" ?

• Yes!
    • Of Course!
    • Don't Care!

If the question was "should they have called the comic 'Constantine' from the outset" I'd say yes, because in all honesty, it's a better name. As it stands, I see nothing to be gained from changing the name at this stage, so I vote 'no'.

I agree with Mark.

It's a shame they couldn't stick with the original title of "Hellraiser", though, because that would have been really clever. Especially when Garth was on the title.

Guest CoNsTaNtInE

yeah, i agree with Mark too, it had to be Hellraiser or Constantine, because Hellblazer doesn't make much sense, they don't even call him Hellblazer

yeah, i agree with Mark too, it had to be Hellraiser or Constantine, because Hellblazer doesn't make much sense, they don't even call him Hellblazer

Hellblazer is a stupid name, but it means something to the fans. No reason to change it on account of this movie. Hell, I even hate the way they have mad JC's name bigger on the cover.

Constantine is a much better name, but I would never want it changed - it would be giving to much respect to the movie.

Guest spiderlegs

I guess being the resident "pun fan" on this board, I'm the only one who actually LIKES the term "Hellblazer." I think it's kind of funny, kind of clever. Even guys named Eugene don't change their name, so why should the big HB.

I always thought something like "Trickster" would be good as a possible title for Hellblazer. Too bad I've stolen it now.

Trickster sounds too much like some cheeky, scampish superhero.

I guess being the resident "pun fan" on this board, I'm the only one who actually LIKES the term "Hellblazer."  I think it's kind of funny, kind of clever. Even guys named Eugene don't change their name, so why should the big HB.

Is it really a pun though? Hellraiser was, but this...? Is it supposed to sound like Trailblazer? Because it doesn't.

Has John changed the poll options so that is no longer the option of no?

Otherwise why have the majority of you written no but voted for 'Of Course!'

I'd vote no. It would have been a good title in the beginning but don't go changing what ain't broke. Hellblazer has been a perfectly serviceable title for 17 years. These corporate rebranding exercises are always a mistake anyway.

Remember Consignia! That's my final word on the topic.

Since there is no "no" option I won't vote in this poll. Of course I'm opposed to a name change because "Hellblazer" is instantly recognizable and unique, while "Constantine" can mean a number of different things, which is bad for brand recognition and web searches. Plus, it doesn't look good to change the comic's name in faddish imitation of a crappy, cliche Hollywood movie that has almost nothing to do with the comic, making Vertigo and the Hellblazer creative team look bad by impugning their judgment, and suggesting that the title is in trouble, which would cause some people to not bother checking it out. And it will cause many of its 15,000 [?] regulars to wonder what other changes will occur to make the title more similar to the movie. Plus the confusion will cause the book to lose some old readers, at least for a few issues.

A bad move in almost every way. The positives can't begin to outweigh the negatives.

Constantine doesn't suit me, but if they ever took off Hellblazer and left it as just John Constantine I wouldn't complain.

No.

what Josh said, basically. Though it could be fun to watch arguments in comic stores worldwide on whether it's Constantine or Constanteen.

I'm in the mood to be easily amused.