wolfram

Seven Soldiers

Fuck, that looks the business dude.

I've even gone as far as adding it to my pull list in advance of actually reading it. 40 issues? I'm going to have to drop a couple of titles I think to make room for it.

Who am I kidding, I can't give anything up. Well, apart from Superman / Batman - that shit's days are well numbered.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this one. As I said elsewhere the other day, Morrison is on the form of his life at the moment, and this is just the kind of mad, stupidly-ambitious high-concept thing he was made to write.

The fact that I know absolutely fuck-all about any of the characters he'll be using (well, I've encountered Zatanna before, but don't know much about her except for what I learned from her HB appearance) is, if anything, even more of a bonus. It looks to be shaping up to be not a bad year for superhero comics. Morrison on this and Superman, Brubaker writing Captain America and (some time soonish) Daredevil, Miller/Lee on Batman, the continuation of Lapham's Batman story...and that's just the ones I'll be reading. It's a good time to be a grown-up (of sorts) reading comics.

Because he's a ....a....A HEATHEN!

:lol:

"40 issues"?! It was originally supposed to be 30 issues, did Morrison add 10 more issues,or was that a misprint?

Morrison is on the fire these days...Satan bless 'im! I just picked up "Sea Guy" last night...hilarious!

Now if only someone would get to work and collect "Aztek" into a trade...I only ever read the first 4 issues.

:o

really, i expect he'll commit suicide if the world doesn't end in 2012.

Fuck me, Seven Soldiers #0 was good. I'm looking forward to the rest of this mega-project more than any other series this year, and that includes upcoming events in Hellblazer.

Mind you, my knowledge of the history of the corners of the DCU Morrison was working with here could probably be summarised on the back of a decent-sized postage stamp, so if anyone out there feels like writing or linking to a decent set of annotations, that'd be great. I got the Cyrus Gold references at the start (he's Solomon Grundy, isn't he?), but beyond that...

The really great thing, though, is that none of that shit actually matters much. The story made perfect sense even to a total ignoramus such as myself, and that's the mark of Morrison's genius here. I can't remember a much better opening issue to a series since...well, ever, really. If the whole project is this good - as packed with inspiration, joy, intelligence, accessibility and sheer love for the medium and genre - I'm going to be a very happy camper indeed.

"Because the highs aren't high enough any more. Because the buildings I jump from just aren't tall enough. Because I've taken this whole morally ambiguous urban vigilante thing about as far as I can. And now, God help me, I want to visit other planets and dimensions and fight rogue Gods. In my deepest, darkest moments at 3AM, I imagine dying to save the Universe. I picture the face of the moon, carved into a memorial likeness. Entire bereaved worlds weeping at my grave. Maybe then my mother will take my life seriously. How do you tell when you've become a superhero and not just a crazy fetish person with a death wish? Is it when the joke becomes real?"

If there's ever been a better evocation of what can make comic book adventure stories truly great, I don't think I've read it. Utterly, utterly brilliant. I think I'm in love.

why are you wary of Morrison, Timmy?

Sorry Rogan I missed your question earlier, limited computer time ya see? Morrisson just isn't my cup of tea...a little too "out there" for my tastes. Ask any body, I am all about realism, in my art, in my fiction, in my comics, I guess that is why I can't get behind spandexy types either. Now magic, demons, angels, evil, horror...that crap is REAL!

AWESOME. Once I got into it I could not put it down. Now I need more.

The Whip is damn cool. So is Boy Blue. 2 seeminly crappy characters having new life breathed into them by Morrison.

I may have to cut some titles to make way for this 30 part series. I think it may be worth it.

Rogan-You will love this series! Trust me! Find it now!

Morrison took some second, third and fourth rate characters, loosely based around Golden Age DCU characters, and put them together. At first, I couldn't really stand most of them, was hoping they'd go away soon....but by the end of issue #0, I had come to care about the "replacement" heroes after a few pages. That is the genius of Grant Morrison!

Oh, and yes Mark, Cyrus Gold is Solomon Grundy. I like the little extra something Morrison gave to the myth of Grundy also.

only #0, i believe, James...

(had it downloaded last night, all ready for my morning read)

Yup, just the #0 for now.

Spoilers:

Agreeing with McMahon---that last spread is awesome. Smells fresh like spring daises, it does. :D But now, don't get too attatched to these folks, because they're not the team we're going to watch. This is the team we get to watch get slaughtered so we know what the real team (Zatanna, Witch Boy, Miracleman, and so forth) are up against.

Apparently, the storyline is that some ancient Aztec gods are going to hunt down and kill humanity? Is that it?

Aztec gods?

Any word if Morrison has found a way to fit in his own creation, the much-missed Aztek?

Because that would make my day.

Great first issue...I'm gonna love this.

They are coming out in a rather odd fashion so I wonder what order they really should be read in. Like Grant has this secret magic sequence sigil that when you read in like that in opens a pathway to your brain that pumps pure living information or something.

It was really just superheroes done right, wasn't it ?

"My apartment and my fears about money and the future and never b eing good enough...compared to this, everything seems fo #$%&ing stupid and unreal"

Ok, it was bookmarked by a small slice of slight weirdness but otherwise it was straight forward stuff executed really well.

That Morrison had me caring for a bunch of total nobodies in silly uniforms by the end shows just how fine that execution was.