wolfram

Seven Soldiers

Yup, really great stuff. Damnit, I shouldn't be spending this kind of money. But I will. Because I'm a sucker.

Weird print schedule, though. A three-month gap between Zatanna 3 and 4? I'm assuming that the uber-arc requires that I read the comics printed inbetween to make sense of it.

Yeah, the checklist is odd....I'm pretty sure they'll trade each mini-series on its' own (all 4 Zatanna issues in one book, etc.).

Mojo-Aztek is dead. Read Morrison run on "JLA" for all the details.

James-Not according to Grant. He said each mini-series can be read as a standalone story, and unless you're reading every book, you'll never even know that the stories are connected.

Also, I don't think it's going to be about Aztek gods, I think it's about an extra-dimensional menace (which Morrison may use to explain religion, maybe? Just throwing something out with that last part).

Wait.Miracle man? Is this a completely different character or what? Explain.

Where did you see Miracleman mentioned, wolvy?

Oh! I see now! That was a misprint on wolfram's post!

Miracleman was the old superhero written by Alan Moore & Neil Gaiman, he will not be appearing in a DC comic.

There's a Mister Miracle on this team. He's an old DC superhero, created by Jack Kirby in the '70s. He was a member of DeMatteis' "Justice League".

The one used by Morrison in this series will be the original Mister Miracle's apprentice.

Yup, just the #0 for now.

Spoilers:

Agreeing with McMahon---that last spread is awesome. Smells fresh like spring daises, it does. :D But now, don't get too attatched to these folks, because they're not the team we're going to watch. This is the team we get to watch get slaughtered so we know what the real team (Zatanna, Witch Boy, Miracleman, and so forth) are up against.

Apparently, the storyline is that some ancient Aztec gods are going to hunt down and kill humanity? Is that it?

In Wolframs spoiler quote.

Christian - yeah, I know, but I wondered if reading them in a certain order would reveal echoes and subtleties that would be less obvious if

I imagine they'll double up the volumes, something like this:

BOOK 1

Seven Soldiers 0

Guardian 1-4

Shining Knight 1-4

etc. with the last book being the remaining series plus the Seven Soldiers 1 bookender.

Hey now, Aztek is dead? I have Morrison's JLA run, but it's been a couple years since I read it, and I can only remember Aztek deciding to leave the JLA soon after joining...did he die in the big "WW3" storyline?

You're reading it wrong because it's upside down. It's a Y not an A.

That's probably true of the comic as well as the photo of Ozzy.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited by a comic series. I was interested and intriguied by the concept when I first heard of it but now having read issue #0 I am really looking forward to the rest of the series.

You're reading it wrong because it's upside down. It's a Y not an A.

you sure? :icon_rolleyes:

Shining Knight was fair! The art far surpassed any expectations I had. Grant wasn't as great, but this issue was clearly a set-up piece, so we'll see where it goes from here.

Shining Knight wasn't quite on a par with the #0 special, but I remain hopeful that this mega-series is going to kick all sorts of arse. This was pretty clearly a set-up issue, but it delivered on the promises made - you could have read it as a totally stand-alone story, but having read the Special various things became more obvious. I liked the use of Castle Revolving (the idea of a 'revolving castle' existing on a plane between realities is derived from a variety of Celtic and Arthurian myths, as far as I can make out - it rang a bell with me, and I've found references to the concept in a variety of sources), the talking horse was great (I'd like to hope he isn't dead, although the end of this issue doesn't fill me with confidence - splat city, man), and the Sidhe/Sheeda continue to be a surprisingly effective Evil Force, given that they're essentially fairies. It'll be interesting seeing how they fit into the remaining 6 miniseries. I'm also impressed by how different each of these minis would appear to be, in content, tone and style. I just hope Morrison can maintain coherency and quality across the whole sprawling project - if he can manage it, this'll be a definite front-runner for 'best Morrison comic ever' status. If not - well, it'll hopefully still be an entertaining ride, I suppose.

On a totally-unrelated note, I must admit that I'd expected to see out my days without ever reading a comic about Arthurian Knights fighting laser-powered fairies, and am delighted to have been proven wrong. But enough of that.

The art definitely raised this one up a couple of notches, I agree - obviously photoreferenced, but still fluid and clear. The inking was unusual, too - you could clearly see vestiges of the looser pencilling underneath the inks and colouring, but it didn't appear messy. Excellent work all round from Bianchi, I'd say - hadn't seen her before, but I'll be looking out for her work in future.

On the whole, I'm pleased with this one. Not quite as overwhelmingly mighty as #0, perhaps, but my excitement remains high. Can't wait for Guardian #1, too - I've been itching for more work by Stewart since his Catwoman stint and excellent work on Seaguy. Only two weeks to go...

The art definitely raised this one up a couple of notches, I agree - obviously photoreferenced, but still fluid and clear.

I think the art of a certain scribbler that hangs around these parts has given me much love for the photoreferencing technique. :D

I like the technique for static images (like covers ;) ), but heavily and obviously photo-sourced art can still sometimes look a little awkward when used sequentially, to my eyes. Obviously, this isn't a problem if the artist has a good sense of storytelling style and uses layouts intelligently, which is very much the case here. Done badly (for example, I skimmed through an issue of Phoenix: Endsong after being told that the art was distinctive, and was, to say the least, massively unimpressed), it can look horribly stilted and unconvincing.

Alien Space Vampires vs The Knights Of The Round Table! Fun stuff this one bbbuutttt the storytelling was a bit choppy when it came to that chap and his horse running through the castle - felt like I'd missed something there.

It did seem to have a wee bit of supposition that the audience would be familiar with some of the legends beyond "Arthur, Gweneviere, Knights, Round Table," but not so much that it wasn't accessible, I felt.

I really liked Shining Knight #1 if only because I have a serious lack of fantasy type comics in my collection. Great art, loads of battlin'...loved it.