wolfram

Seven Soldiers

I read it and liked it. Pretty typical Morrison JLA story, but his Gorilla Grodd (one of the most wanted terrorists alive!) was hilarious!

As far as I can see so far, that shadowy villain from "Shining Knight" is the only tie-in between the two series.

As I said to Mark, I'm worried that each miniseries is basically going to consist of the protagonist of the month fucking up those insect guys' plans to get hold of some MacGuffin. So there's not really a proper ongoing story after all.

But hey! I could be wrong.

No you'll probably be right or at least at first glance you will be.

But Morrison will have included hidden subliminal messages that only those readers that have every single issue of the full series will be able to access and gain enlightenment to ascend to a higher state of being.

Fuck you all, doubters and naysayers! I think this is going to be great.

'Course, I'll look mighty daft if in 6 months or so it turns out to be shit. But fuck it. I'm usually Captain Negative about stuff like this, so it's a nice change to be genuinely looking forward to a series. Can't wait for Guardian #1 next week - Cameron Stewart rocks my little world.

Count me not among the naysayers Mark for I am onboard and bracing the mainsail for the voyage that Morrison is taking us on.

I love the following quote.

No Beard!

There's Sun Lubbers on their way!

:cool:

There's been so much packed into each issue so far that Morrison has said the bar high for himself right out the gate.

Just taking Guardian #1 you had Subway Pirates, the origin of the hero and even more Subway Pirates all between the cover of one issue. Plus - the Guardian Mobile breaks down.

Zatanna wasn't bad, didn't quite buzz me like Shining Knight and Guardian did though.

Just noticed on re-reading Shining Knight that they fucked up with a word balloon; the Knight says that he needs a lantern of true light or something similar, and a few panels later, he has one. He actually gets it from the shuffling squad of monsters that he meets briefly, but the lantern is hidden underneath a speech bubble. D'oh!

Zatanna?

Did anyone notice the similarities between it and Promethea?

I'll be honest the individual minis aren't quite living up to the promise of 7S#0.

Did anyone notice the similarities between it and Promethea?

I thought that, too - so much so that I suspect it was deliberate, to some extent. Morrison's said a few things recently about how Moore 'got it wrong' with some of the Magickal gubbins in Promethea, so this could just be a playground-level attempt to do it his way. But Zatanna still worked for me, for some reason - partly the art, and partly that Morrison just seems to be using the 'beginners' guide to magic(k)' elements as a part of his story, rather than basing the entire comic around them (I really like Promethea, as it happens, but don't really relish the prospect of 4 issues of Morrison's "I've been a Wizard for longer than Moore, so here's what it's REALLY about" take on it). I'd like to hope the next 3 issues aren't entirely composed of adventures through the looking-glass, but if they are I'll see what I think when I've read them.

Incidentally, preview pages from Klarion, The Witch Boy are up here. Zombies!

I suspect that James' idea of the 7 Soldiers miniseries being largely unconnected, apart from the 'fighting different aspects of a common enemy independently of each other' concept, is probably going to turn out to be spot on. But I don't really mind that - I quite like the idea that the crossover is pretty loose, and as long as the book-end issues wrap it all together reasonably satisfactorily, I'm more than happy with the whole project being an excuse for a set of 7 wildly-different miniseries united by a common theme. All 3 so far have been strong in and of themselves, and promising enough that I'd be happy to keep reading them even if they had nothing to do with each other, so any interesting hints of crossover meta-plot (and there were a couple of those in Zatanna anyway, most notably the smile-inducing presence of Gimmix from Seven Soldiers #0) will just be a bonus, really.

Sure, Morrison's "nothing you've ever seen will prepare you for the ambitious madness of this mega-uber-super-crossover project" hyperbole in promotional interviews was probably misleading. But then, what else is he paid for? Grant's always been a big talker of the talk, even when he hasn't necessarily had the storytelling chops to back up his big ideas (even The Invisibles had moments where it failed to reach the heights it was supposedly aiming for, and the same is very much true of The Filth - which, by and large, I thoroughly enjoyed). Why should this be any different? I'm still happy to keep forking over my money every fortnight, as long as the stories and art stay this good.

Edited by Mark

I suspect that James' idea of the 7 Soldiers miniseries being largely unconnected, apart from the 'fighting different aspects of a common enemy independently of each other' concept, is probably going to turn out to be spot on.

I was under the impression that that was what Morrison had said it would be all along. It was certainly the impression I got.

Yeah, but various people (mainly, as is usually the case with Morrison, on the barbelith.com forums) were speculating wildly that, while the team will never meet (which Morrison's been very clear on from the beginning), the connections would somehow be vastly more sophisticated and complicated than that, as such a simple concept would ill-befit a writer of Morrison's genius. This was very silly of them.

By the by, the cover for Guardian #3 made me laugh out loud.

20050412102652186_1.jpg

I just like the idea of a rampaging horde of racial stereotypes attacking Our Hero as he stands on a bizarrely miniature world. Either it's one of them thar 'symbolic' images, or this comic is going to be even stranger than I thought.

I've read # 0. Shining Knight # 1 and The Guardian # 1.

#0 is just 10/10 stuff they should bottle that kind of comic and put it on toast. It hits the spot. Groundbreaking and genre changing.

The Shining Knight was average at best but does end on a high. Awesome art I might add.

The Guardian is my favorite right now SEAGUY team reunites to present us a wild ride into Grants Warped trully warped brain.

So anyone read Zatanna yet?

Yes. Excellent comic - a kind of pop-redux of Promethea, slotted into a funny and rather touching story about a superhero undergoing what would appear to be a minor breakdown. Possibly my favourite of the miniseries to date, although the whole thing is going to have to be phenomenal to come close to topping Seven Soldiers #0, which was one of the best comics I've seen in ages. The art in Zatanna was probably the best of the 3 minis to date, too - light-years ahead of the other stuff I've seen from Sook.

Guest Guest
Yes. Excellent comic - a kind of pop-redux of Promethea, slotted into a funny and rather touching story about a superhero undergoing what would appear to be a minor breakdown. Possibly my favourite of the miniseries to date, although the whole thing is going to have to be phenomenal to come close to topping Seven Soldiers #0, which was one of the best comics I've seen in ages. The art in Zatanna was probably the best of the 3 minis to date, too - light-years ahead of the other stuff I've seen from Sook.

Sounds good I should be getting soon. Sook has always been good in my eyes but man Cameron Stewart's stuff is legend man. This stuff he draws leaps off the page. So Mark I take it you are also buying all the minis then?

The art in Zatanna was probably the best of the 3 minis to date, too - light-years ahead of the other stuff I've seen from Sook.

Apart from the fact that the artist doesn't really seem to know how stockings connect to suspenders practically.........

....... hey, I'm a man of the world - I've had to take them off a lady from time to time. 8-)

In the past.

The dim, distant, past.

Actually, it's been so long, maybe he's right. :blush:

I only just realised that the busty redhead from the superheroes with self-esteem issues meeting (Gimmick Girl) was one of the team of superheroes in SS #0, and that's where she's going when she heads "out West".

Klarion the Witch Boy was suprisingly very good. Excellent art and a sick story. I loved it.

I've got to say it was a little obtuse for me, but the art was gorgeous. I liked all the "Grundy's". That was a slick bit. It was the last book i read last night, so i might have been too tired to really put my full brain into it. I'll give a good going over tonight and see what i really think about it.