wolfram

Seven Soldiers

It was the last book I read too!

I enjoyed it. It read the most like a Grant Morrison story, to me. It was very weird.

Once again, the threads holding "Seven Soldiers" together gets tighter with each new issue.

Loved it. "The Village" done right. Never enjoyed Fraser Irving's art until I read this book; the colouring definitely made it for me. Do they have Kit Kats in America?

Just in case you're wondering, "Croatoan" was the word carved into a tree on Roanoke Island, and was the last message left by an entire village that vanished into thin air. Presumably Morrison's implying that the villagers went into what would later become the New York underground and have been living there ever since.

It might also have some relevance in 100 Bullets, with the reactivation word for the Minutemen being "Croatoa".

For trivia buffs, it's also the name of an Harlan Ellison story.

Obviously the roots of the word go back to Roanoake, and I figure every writer who uses it is taking it from the origin source?

By Kit-Kats do you mean those delightful chocolate bars? If so, yes. If you don't mean those, then probably not.

950.jpg

You mean this guy?

Back on the subject. (Spoilers) I noticed in the next issue box a mention of the "Foundation Stone" it will be interesting to see how this ties in with Guardian.

Excellent stuff. Probably my favourite of the character-based issues so far (the prologue issue is definitely the creative high-point as of yet, though), but that's partly because it marks the point where the threads established in the other books start to come together. I was beginning to think it was a mistake to have so many 'first issues' coming out together - it's been a lot of set-up so far, with not much pay-off - but after this issue, it seems to have made some sort of sense. I'll be interested to see how Shining Knight #2 fits into the whole thing, if it does...

Shining Knight #2 - This was neat. Great art, cool story, and I loved Guilt.

Shining Knight #2 - This was neat. Great art, cool story, and I loved Guilt.

I liked Guilt too, but how do you suppose Ysten finally learned to speak English? It's like all of a sudden he can understand what people are saying. Maybe it will come clearer when i read it agian tonight.

Yeah...that's a bit odd...Ysten can understand the old man and is quite suprised that he can. So I assume the old man may know something of Ysten's predicament.

But that does not explain why the thug can understand what Ysten is saying when he says, "Leave him alone."

Wierd.

It all seemed very surreal (you know, like a Grant Morrison comic). Things just seemed to happen, and you really didn't stop to question, because it was all just so surreal.

An improvement over the first issue, but still nowhere near as good as "Zatanna" or "Klarion". Right now, "Shining Knight" ranks 3rd of the "Seven Soldier" projects.

Oh, and about Mark's "Constantine" reference in Zatanna #1...

fantastic, as usual. i only add this in case it amuses someone else: i read this (and klarion #1) at wizard world la. and though i breezed through the zantanna proof, i did notice and enjoy one thing that subsequently got taken out of the final product. in the proof at the dc comics booth, on page 5 at the bottom, the burning image of zantanna's father said something like "constantine, if you don't get her out in time . . ." or whatever. the point is, i thought it was great that it tied zantanna in with john, especially given her later line about her fatal flaw for falling for losers. but i guess editorial didn't want any inkling of vertigo and/or the constantine film in the seven soldiers line. oh well.

http://www.barbelith.com/topic/20686/from/35

That'll be where I saw it, I think. Thanks.

Not sure - they could be, I suppose. If not, it's probably still a relevant link - there seem to be a fair few synchronicitous similarities (?!?) between the various series (the glowing pool of radioactive ooze in Guardian #2 was pretty reminiscent of the thing at the start of Shining Knight #1, for example).

I loved the brief appearance of the Horrigal from Klarion in last week's Guardian, too. The whole comic was great fun - the whole ethos behind the series seems to be coming together nicely. And Subway Pirates were always going to go down well at Casa Mark. Zatanna #1 was probably my favourite issue of any of the miniseries so far, so I'm looking forward to #2 enormously.

I'm ashamed to admit that while I've had Zatanna and Klarion almost since they came out, I just read them tonight.

They were easily the best so far. My favorite was Klarion---uniquely Morrison, and yet, it was actually comprehensible. None of that cracked out Seaboy stuff. :D I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the pilgrim look with the witchy innards, and the art was quite stunning. Not only did it look stunning, it held the quality consistent throughout each and every panel.

Zatanna was great as well---loved the cameo---but I was a bit saddened to see the cast zapped out of existence in the first outing.

I also read Shining Knight 2, and, while good, had some of the overly-obtuse Morrison going on, something that I don't see fitting in well in Shining Knight.

I am not reading Guardian at all, because the art looked rather poo-ish (is this the Seaboy artist? If so, it didn't look like him at all), and the preview I read was a bit of a bore. Anyone care to clue me in?

Subway Pirates! Golems! "Reporter, for God's sake!"

I've enjoyed both parts of Guardian a lot, personally. BUt barring a brief appearance by the Horrigal from Klarion (It got splashed across the front of a subway train), and a couple of brief references to the Foundation Stone and a race of "subterranean Puritan child-stealers", there wasn't anything of vital significance which you've missed. That's part of the conceit of the whole project - you don't need to be reading all the minis to follow what's going on.

I've been a fan of Cameron Stewart's art for a while now (yeah, he did Seaguy). He's got a really crisp, classic style - cartoonish but detailed, and his story-telling is wonderfully clear and open. But if you haven't been convinced by him in the past, I doubt this'd be the project to convince you otherwise.

I'm such a scumbag for not buying this series. My friend is getting every crossover, so I've reaad #0 (my favourite issue so far). However, I am buying Zatanna for a female friend of mine who so happens to love the character. I read through the issue before I saw her, and it was amazing. Ryan Sook (who had some damn good artwork in Arkham Asylum: Living Hell), blew me away with this, and I love the whole group counselling thing. Really wished they didn't take out the Constantine reference, but ehh, I can deal with it so long as Morrisson keeps the quality at the level it's currently at.

wolf-"Guardian" is my least favourite of the books. It bores me, but I must own them all!

I felt the same way you did about "Zatanna", "Klarion", and "Shining Knight" too. Except, I enjoyed "Zatanna" better than "Klarion" so far.

But if you haven't been convinced by him in the past, I doubt this'd be the project to convince you otherwise.

Thanks for the info, Mark. And I did like Stewart's art on Seaguy (duh Wolfy, not Seaboy), but I was saying that this didn't look very similar. I mean, there are similarities, but if I picked it up off the shelf, it wouldn't have clicked that this was his art. Perhaps he went a little extra cartoony on the Seaguy stuff. Or perhaps I'm sniffing glue in my sleep again.

wolf-"Guardian" is my least favourite of the books. It bores me, but I must own them all!

I felt the same way you did about "Zatanna", "Klarion", and "Shining Knight" too. Except, I enjoyed "Zatanna" better than "Klarion" so far.

Quick, what am I thinking? :)

Say . . . did Ryan Sook ever draw Excalibur?

this didn't look very similar. I mean, there are similarities, but if I picked it up off the shelf, it wouldn't have clicked that this was his art. Perhaps he went a little extra cartoony on the Seaguy stuff. Or perhaps I'm sniffing glue in my sleep again.

Hmm...the art in Guardianseemed distinctively 'Stewart-esque' enough to me, but like I said, I've been a fan of his work since his (brilliant) stint on Catwoman a year or two ago, so I may just have been looking for similarities from the outset. He's definitely adopted a different style here (as he has on all his projects which I've seen so far), but there're a couple of stylistic tics which seem common to all his work. He's a relative newcomer, but I think he's got a lot of promise.

Mind you, I haven't been disappointed with the art on any of the SS minis so far. Sook is doing the best work I've ever seen from him, Frazer Irving is shaping up to be even better than his 2000AD work suggested he would be, and even though I've had some reservations about the story-telling aspects of the art in Shining Knight, it looks pretty sweet otherwise, so I'm not seriously complaining. I hope the other three minis look as good as the first batch have...