Demon Chas08

This Is Where It Started (A comic called Hellblazer)

I'd be surprised if anyone here actually thought his peccadilloes made some kind of mark against his presidency (as opposed, like you say, to the things that actually did make marks against his presidency). Without the media there to shout in everyone's face and rile them up 24/7, the separation of personal and official happens pretty much automatically.

Actually, here in NZ we had a similar scandal recently; it turned out the mayor of Auckland had an extramarital affair. Admittedly the news did manage to assemble a fairly decent amount of "He LIED" vox pop clips (I assume each of those clips ended with "he PROMISED not to have sex with nubile young Chinese women AND NOW LOOK LOOK JUST LOOK I KNEW IT BASTARD"), but luckily the affair also inspired a shitload of awful racism and misogyny, which a lot of people rightly realised were far more important subjects for discussion than where some rich prick puts his rich prick.

The Republicans were just really being assholes with Clinton. They couldn't find much to actually attack in his presidency. His approval ratings were quite high amongst many demographics (most importantly among big business). But, they acted like Clinton was their arch-nemesis. He cut welfare, more thwn Reagan, they couldn't really attack that. His neo-liberal agenda was started by Reagan, and it was the Bush-era Republicans who pushed so hard for NAFTA, and started extending globalization, so they couldn't really attack that.

Obviously they couldn't attack him for anything to do with wars....

Bush had already upset a lot of the Republican mass base by doing everything he could to padd NAFTA. It wasn't a good time for the Repubs.

There were a few heavy-handed asshole things they tried attacking Clinton for, like the Waco tragedy...but the Conservatives weren't really sure if they thought that was appropriate or not...so, they couldn't push that too far.

So, they were left with his personal life. It really was shameful partisan politics at its worst.

• Upvote 1

So we get the Newcastle crew introduced in Series 1, plus Nergal and some demons. And a lot of establishing short stories would work.

Delano, Ennis and Jenkins arcs for that. Maybe enough for two series.

Then I'd like a nice Earthbound threat, like the Resurrection Crusade and maybe empathy is the enemy would make a good subplot.

Actually, these days, Shoot might make a decent starting point for an episode as long as it is tidied up a bit. The whole idea of Constantine turning up to investigate something thought to be a supernatural or religious threat that turns out to be human in origin should have been explored in the comic more.

Series 3 would make a great time for the Shadow Dog and Constantinian Triplets of Evil stories, with the harrowing of the supporting cast.

Hope we can trust America not to kill the series before then.

• Upvote 1

If they keep the show set in Atlanta then Empathy could really work just switch the sport from soccer to college football. (If they were to move that arc over to Alabama for instance, it might ring too true.)

If we are dreaming up episodes, what about very special holiday eps? Would you like to see Lord of the Dance make it to TV?

I still hope the writers go their own way a bit rather than redoing storylines, but Critical Mass is too great a concept and tale to put down (though it might require a bit of preamble - First of the Fallen, Nergal's blood, Astra not being booted out of Hell at the end of the first season) and I'd dearly love the Tate Club to be relocated somewhere, though I don't know quite where. Chicago?

Mostly I just want them to do some socially aware horror, along the lines of Delano's run, Damnation's Flame, etc. Would be a good USP for the show, if the writers can come up with some suitably strong concepts.

Damnation's Flame

Already been done!

Not really. But that disclaimer popped into my head near the start of Damnation's Flame, and never left. :P

And they are kind of similar ('allegorical road trip' is probably a genre).

I'm hoping for new stories from the TV series, but yeah; it'd be cool to see some based on existing plots too. Kept loose, though. The only story I can think of that would work as a page-to-screen adaptation is Telling Tales, and even that would need every single sentence rewritten, because it's so obscene and so London. The resulting tales would probably be all-new, but the frame story wouldn't need much tweaking. Hey, they could use the comic's alumni as guest writers! A short OTT occult tale from each. A fun filler episode.

P.S. I left the video playing as I wrote this, and Bob Goldthwait just said 'NBC.' An omen

Gwilym, you are by far the best poster on here that isn't me.

(I'll also discount all of the people in here that I've actually met in real life, because they know what I look like.)

I like the idea of an episode that's just three or four short, really well-written horror stories being told by people who met John. Maybe at his 'funeral', like in that one Ennis issue. Or, alternatively, as you suggested, John 'telling tales' (maybe about other characters in the show, lest it seem too throwaway) - that would be a handy 'Matt Ryan light' episode, if he's getting a bit overworked.

If they keep the show set in Atlanta then Empathy could really work just switch the sport from soccer to college football. (If they were to move that arc over to Alabama for instance, it might ring too true.)

If they did that, I would come down upon them with a Tumblr campaign of righteous vengeance etc etc etc

zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Upvote 1

I don't see the Resurrection Crusade being used. I think that's territory that the show doesn't want to tread in America, unless it wants to be targeted.

I don't remember any overt anti-Christian fundie episodes being used on TV shows. When a Christian fundie is brought in for critique, it's usually either one bad apple, or it's people who are simply misguided. And, even those elicit a lot of criticism from the Christian Right.

A show already about occultism has to tread very lightly with any negativity towards Christianity.

If they do start to adapt that story-arc, expect the Resurrection Crusade to be heavily changed. I wouldn't be surprised if they did attempt it, if it became the Damnation Army who was solely responsible, with maybe one creepy, corrupted priest bieng involved or something.

A plot like "Shoot" is too overdone. They've done the school shooting routine so many times in popular culture now...Millennium had an episode based on school shootings, back in 1999. X-Files has covered that territory. I'm sure all these cop shows on TV have had episodes spotlighting the issue of school shootings.

I'd rather see original stories that are more based in stories like Jenkins' Widdershins two-parter.

Every so often, throw in a random HB story that can be done in one episode, and then have a big multi-part story based in some of the more famous HB story-arcs a few times a season, like X-Files and Millennium used to do as part of their conspiracy continuity. Season opener, mid-season, season finale cliff-hanger.

• Upvote 1

Is this the thread for what we'd like to see in the show? I'd like to see entirely original stories, rather than stories adapted from the comics — that would help a viewer to cling to the illusion that the TV show adds to Hellblazer, rather than reboots it. :smile: If you see what I mean. The two can never be 100% compatible, but work with me here.

Kit is kind of a sacred concept to me and (I hope) some percentage of readers. I don't need to see her appear in the TV show (or at John's wedding). Some things should be left alone.

• Upvote 1

I don't see the Resurrection Crusade being used. I think that's territory that the show doesn't want to tread in America, unless it wants to be targeted.

I don't remember any overt anti-Christian fundie episodes being used on TV shows. When a Christian fundie is brought in for critique, it's usually either one bad apple, or it's people who are simply misguided. And, even those elicit a lot of criticism from the Christian Right.

A show already about occultism has to tread very lightly with any negativity towards Christianity.

If they do start to adapt that story-arc, expect the Resurrection Crusade to be heavily changed. I wouldn't be surprised if they did attempt it, if it became the Damnation Army who was solely responsible, with maybe one creepy, corrupted priest bieng involved or something.

A plot like "Shoot" is too overdone. They've done the school shooting routine so many times in popular culture now...Millennium had an episode based on school shootings, back in 1999. X-Files has covered that territory. I'm sure all these cop shows on TV have had episodes spotlighting the issue of school shootings.

I'd rather see original stories that are more based in stories like Jenkins' Widdershins two-parter.

Every so often, throw in a random HB story that can be done in one episode, and then have a big multi-part story based in some of the more famous HB story-arcs a few times a season, like X-Files and Millennium used to do as part of their conspiracy continuity. Season opener, mid-season, season finale cliff-hanger.

I loved Widdershins so I welcome more stories like that

Is this the thread for what we'd like to see in the show? I'd like to see entirely original stories, rather than stories adapted from the comics — that would help a viewer to cling to the illusion that the TV show adds to Hellblazer, rather than reboots it. :smile: If you see what I mean. The two can never be 100% compatible, but work with me here.

Kit is kind of a sacred concept to me and (I hope) some percentage of readers. I don't need to see her appear in the TV show (or at John's wedding). Some things should be left alone.

Even if Kit was in the form of Maria Doyle Kennedy?

yeah, i hope john doesn't kick it in atlanta the whole time. any of you ever been there? my last trip through with Cirque, the only city we didn't sell out was Atlanta. And it was for 'O', the total sex show that sold out in every other US City, even kansas city, months in advance. there just isn't anything magical about atlanta. it's like dallas but more boring if you can imagine it. now, new orleans could keep john there for a couple of season and never run out of tales to tell.

clinton was partially responsible for the financial crisis of 08. he signed the bill to repeal glass-steagle which folks say was the precursor to these mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps that popped the housing bubble and destroyed pensions. one could argue slick willie mortgaged our economic future for his economic present. his little buddy, sectreas Larry Summers was integral to that process.

Yeah. Plus he just got lucky that the tech boom and housing bubble happened under his watch. There was a lot of outßourcing going on during the Clinton years. When every administration's economic strategy is to pump out money and hope for the best, every president is just hoping they,re not around when the next collapse happens.

Now, let's never speak of Clinton in a HB related thread again!

Atlanta has had a number of serial killer and mass murderer cases though. Race relations can be problematic there. It has elements that can work for Constantine. Poverty too. You don't really want a bright, hopeful city for him.

I do hope there's travel though, and it isn't all in Atlanta.

New Orleans would end up cliche really quick, I imagine. Mardi Gras? A vampire? Marie Laveau?

It does have a crime rate nearly as high as Flint or Detroit going for it though.

fair enough. i've had and heard some weird shit that had more to do with mobsters than magic, and we do know John's past with mobsters.

I'd like to see him travel to some of the old coastal cities and towns in the southeast. There is some weird isolated shit going on out there in the small towns, then you have cities like Savannah, Mobile and New Orleans which have a lot of history that could be drawn upon.

A friend of mine went to georgia tec for a phd and he just told me about seeing them actually shoot the stuff. But he didn't realize what constantine is.

Would've been good timing to acquire an early jc autograph i reconn

• Upvote 2

This, pretty much. One of the things I liked about the pilot, for all its flaws, is that with a few relatively minor details amended it would have been a perfectly decent first issue of Hellblazer by a new writer starting his/her run. Setting up a new supporting cast and a new locale, giving John a new(ish) purpose that can make for a serviceable ongoing arc, dark hints towards some big event that will doubtless be coming along in a dozen or so issues' time...we've seen the exact same thing done before several times, but in a way that makes it feel encouragingly familiar rather than predictable and tired.

• Upvote 1

that's cool for me, too. but i cringe when they ask which dc dumbass will you accept inserted into your show which ordinarily has nothing to do with dc dumbasses?

it's their show, they can turn john into shazaam if they want (rimshot), but it will make me projectile vomit at the view source on which i see that happen. it has happened once.

• Upvote 1