Demon Chas08

This Is Where It Started (A comic called Hellblazer)

There are loads of DCU characters that would work fine in Constantine and Hellblazer alike. In fact, a bunch of them have been in Hellblazer in one form or another: Swamp Thing, Zatanna, The Phantom Stranger, Tim Hunter, Lucifer, The Sandman*... And the likes of The Spectre (though I hate him), Madame Xanadu, Dr Fate, Mr E, Deadman, Jason Blood and Doctor Occult could all work, though they might require a bit of a costume change to make them look less goofy.

It's not about principle, it's about execution. The talk of making these characters into supporting or recurring cast members is good news too - suggests they know the dangers of having a whole episode revolve around some guy who then disappears from the series altogether.

* I doubt the last two will turn up, for filmic reasons, but it'd be neat to have a silhouette of a shaggy-haired bloke in a cloak at the back of a dream sequence.

• Upvote 1

Deadman

the character repels me. disgusts me. i really don't want to see him on the screen, or at all. a costume change would make things maybe a little better, but the character is still shite imho.

• Upvote 1

"Disgusts" seems strong. Can you elaborate on that?

Myself, I can't stand original flavour The Spectre. Partly because I dislike the idea of god's wrath having a physical tangible form, but mostly because he rarely works outside of a one-page gimmick strip. As a protagonist, he's both boringly omnipotent and by definition reactive (cf. that dreadful David Lapham miniseries where The Spectre watches some dude abuse and murder a child because he can't act until after the deed is done) and as an antagonist he's tediously unstoppable. And in a shared universe he makes no sense. He'll take down some kid that shot a dude in revenge but he's not laying a finger on The Joker or Lex Luthor? C'mon.

Okay, so admittedly people could do a few interesting things with him...

* Look at how it must feel to be an omnipotent force of vengeance bound by rules that stop him from being a useful force for good; have him question the logic of a god that would create those rules.

* Have him target someone that John needs alive - at least for a while - in order to get information; can John stop the Spectre, or even just delay him? Or is he just telling the schmuck that while the countdown to his doom continues?

* Have a bunch of people trapped in a particular location, one of whom is targeted by The Spectre. But whom? And why? And what will they do to try to escape? Maybe the actions they take to escape his wrath end up making them a target. A chicken-and-egg situation. Perhaps in this situation The Spectre isn't a white dude in a cape, but some kind of non-corporeal entity.

...but mostly they don't.

(And I'm still bitter they killed Crispus Allen just to bring the 'classic' Spectre back.)

Deadman could work. You would never have to see him in costume at all. he can just possess people here and there.

yes deadman is boring. he is dead, his real life interactions are close to non-existent, he only mournes for the life he died away from, which is pretty much the only interesting thing he does, and it isn't interesting that much. a major fighting point for real people is to overcome the past and move on. since he can't do that he moves in a repitive cycle of boring. his costume is supershitty. his superpower, well i don't have a lot of love for the bodyswitch storylines anyway, it always seems to me, that this is what authors do if they have no clue what else to do. and deadman is build around this ability. also he seems rather douchy in his monologues, to the point where i wanted to kill him, again.

• Upvote 1

Im siding with James regarding Crispus Allen. I'm still pissed that they never explained how Jim Corrigan came back from the dead unless Hal Jordan decided off panel to bring him back too just because he's good people like Ollie and Barry

don't like deadman either. i think we can expect dr fate if he ever needs his helm back. if they do zatanna, i hope it won't be as his lover, or if she is, more as a we tried and failed type relationship. if their relationship is in the past tense and not current to the show, it could be entertaining, i guess. let me clarify my no dc opinion. i just meant capes, masks and cowls. if you have a secret identity, belong to a vigilante group, and are misunderstood as a crimefighter, i hope they don't use you. there are many of us don't want to see flash or aquaman, or green lantern (unless it's dj green lantern, that would be cool. the Constantine Hip Hop special!)

they they didnt include the dogshagging oO

Or the majority of Milligan's run (especially 275-300)

Clearly Mr. Macleod forgot that Halford mentioned Queenie in a interview not long ago and that Goyer and Cerone are making use of both The Devil You Know and American Gothic

• Upvote 1

Or the majority of Milligan's run (especially 275-300)

maybe they are from the "we deny the existence of issues past 250" front. couldn't blame em.

That means the author has good tastes