Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

Revisitations 9: Peter Milligan's finale (2009-2013)

Gwilym    330

Cats are for amateurs; pros use zebras:

(3:24, in case the TimeLink doesn't work)

Also I'm reading The Devil's Trenchcoat. We'll see how this goes.

Gwilym    330
The Devil's Trenchcoat

Absolute shit.

I'll have to read your threads from when it was current, because I doubt I could possibly say anything that hasn't been said already. It wasn't just awful, stupid and completely inept; it was obviously all those things.

I mean, there's literally no room for critique; you can't pick something apart that's already strewn in nightmarish tatters all over the place.

• Upvote 2

slinker    893

same here, though i did buy the last 4 issues to commemorate. i kept reading them in the shop, though. It was my favorite book before milligan soured it, how could i just totally leave it.

Gwilym    330

Was he doing interviews at this time? I swear he was trying to get fired.Well, it worked; he just got everyone fired.

DC52nstine can't possibly be this awful.

YES I'M STILL BAITING FATE

• Upvote 2

Lou K    1,083

I swear he was trying to get fired.

You know, I have often thought this. Like he felt he got suckered into a bad contract or something and he wanted out.

• Upvote 1

Christian    782

I read some interviews with him at the time. He was in a very dark place. heh He kept talking about some character he wrote for that DC Secret Seven comic was the greatest comic character in decades. A character that I forget the name of, ho might not even have appeared in the comic, and who hasn't been seen since.

I read recently that DC had plans to cancel HB earlier than they did and only use New 52 John, but they decided to wait for #300.

They probably didn't want to bother and get a new creative team for a book that was slated to end. Sales had already been really low on the book anyway.

Milligan might have stayed longer than he originally planned, or maybe he decided to phone it in to get to #300.

Although Milligan's work hasn't been top quality for a number of years.

dogpoet    487

I take it nobody's very enthused about this fashion business murder mystery mini series he's supposed to be doing in a month or two, then?

I think I'm a bit softer on Milligan's run than most, liked it more than Mina's and Azzarello's stints, and parts of it were certainly better than Diggle's. That's my biggest problem with Milligan's run, though: he had loads of great ideas and moments, but they were drowned out by the stupid shit surrounding it. I didn't mind Epiphany that much, I thought she was another solid Girl Friday/Fuckbuddy, but then in comes Angie, Kit, and Gemma to get ground into the mud.

So, yeah, Milligan had lots of crap, but there was some good-to-great stuff in there, too. And "The Cottage" is still fucking bad-ass, says I.

slinker    893

His version of John sucked arse. of all the writers, other than maybe Azzarello, he had the worst grasp of the character.

• Upvote 1

Demon Chas08    295

Then there's him pulling a Moffat in dropping relatives we hardly see and long lost nephew. Uncle Roy was one thing but with him being possibly the next to youngest of Thomas' brothers before pre-John it could be forgiven but Finn? Had Finn been concieved by Cheryl and Tony post- #62 and be around Tricia Chandler's age (18 circa 2012, 20 now), I'd forgive it but to usurp the toerag as the long lost child of Cheryl while degrading Gemma to rehash #62 with dreck smeared all over? Fuck that noise!

• Upvote 1

slinker    893

Amen, bruh! He treated Gemma like a fuck doll he fucked til she popped.

• Upvote 1

wolvy    58

Has Milligan ever talked about his finale in retrospect? Because usually writers will sometimes look back on previous work and go "Yeah, that was shit." or "I wrote that because A,B, and C."

I'd have to reread a ton of hellblazer just to get a get a good perspective on how bad his characterization was.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,162

It was different rather than out and out bad, but a lot of the differences were very central to John's character.

I dropped it, finally, with the trenchcoat story.

I seem to recall him saying he was glad to see the ending open to everyone's personal interpretation.

Which is fair enough.

• Upvote 1

wolvy    58

It was different rather than out and out bad, but a lot of the differences were very central to John's character.

I dropped it, finally, with the trenchcoat story.

I seem to recall him saying he was glad to see the ending open to everyone's personal interpretation.

Which is fair enough.

In other words "I can't be arsed enough to explain my colossal fuck up."

Balthazar    181

I didn't read the run in full. Milligan is one of my top 5 favorite comic writers and I loved Scab. After that, things meandered a little bit and I was reading on and off until I finally dropped the book (mostly due to funds). I remember a lot of strange things in the India arc and I remember being highly taken aback at how Gemma was being written. I think I literally said out loud," What the Fuck?" while seeing how she was penned under his hand.

Speedblazer    141

I've never read Milligan's run actually. I've only read up to 237 with a few other things here and there after that, but I've yet to read his run.

But just tell me these basic questions;

• What exactly happen to Gemma?
  • Did John end up burning that possessed trench coat?
  • Is it true Epiphany had a new face?
  • What ever happen to Kit?
  • Basically what happened in the final issue?

dogpoet    487

Spoilers ahead, capn'n!

Something bad, a very crap piercing, something else bad, she got hold of a magic bat gun that shoots spell darts loaded with holy water or some damned thing.

No.

Sort of, for a bit. It didn't stick, and she got her old one back again.

Less food than had happened to Angie.

The crisis finally caught up with John, and he was rebooted. The series ended with a panel showing the much older looking Silver Age John looking unhappy in a pub.

• Upvote 1

Christian    782

I'll try my tack on a few of these, showing my view compared to Dog's:

1.)Milligan turned her in to a complete psycho. It was about as "woman hating" a tear-down of a once-strong female character as you can see in a work of fiction. Also, there were strong hints given that she may have developed repressed sexual feelings for her uncle John.

4.)She became a hairdresser. That's a good job for a woman to have. It's better than the job of a stripper that Gemma took up.

5.)John Constantine realized his comic was awful, and in an act of meta-fiction, Milligan had John become Bacchus, from the Eddie Campbell series. It was Milligan taking up the meta-commentary about Hellblazer from Ellis' Planetary series and turning it on its head. Rather than the egotistical outlook of Ellis, who felt that John Constantine should have evolved in to Spider Jerusalem, Milligan gave credit to a superior comic series that has gone overlooked for far too long. What should Hellblazer have become? It should have opened up the door to creative independent comic series getting more attention, instead of allowing the Hellblazer series to float aimlessly for years and years, before turning in to what it was under Milligan. I give Milligan credit for the humbleness it took to make such a statement in a published comic book.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,162

Gemma was not always a strong character, but had been left there by her experiences in Mike Carey's run and her friendship with Angie.

However, her demise started with Denise Mina (unless we want to be kind and explain Gemma's behaviour as side effect of the so-called Empathy Virus).

Milligan had her raped by her uncle's demon doppelganger.

She was like the opposite of his Mary Sue.

Epiphany was Shelly Bond's Mary Sue. Way to win over your editor, writer.

Christian's perspective on that #300 is incontrovertible.

• Upvote 1