Sign in to follow this  
Gwilym

Gwilymsong

Or songs, hopefully. I need to become prolific again.

I was having a horrifying bout of paralytic self-pity this weekend, and realised I had to write my way out of it. So this afternoon I wrote and recorded this:

http://gwilym.bandca...track/delusions

Quite scary to do; it exposes ugly and weak thoughts that I don't -truly- believe, but... well, I believed them at the time. And I guess no honesty is ever going to be timeless, since we're always changing our minds.

It's pretty much a huge gripe about the fact that despite pouring myself into my University work, my art and the local theatre scene, none of it is making the slightest bit of difference to the fact that I'm 30 years old, single, living with my mum, and generally quite miserable. And it's becoming harder and harder to ignore the calls to just drop the artsy bullshit and get a fucking job. Which selectively ignores the fact that the most gainfully employed periods of my life were also the shittest, but the idea of A Job as some kind of panacea is pretty deeply ingrained, and I feel like my arguments against it are falling increasingly flat. I have my fans and supporters (few but ardent), but in all honesty I often resent them just as much as the get-a-jobbers, because I'm scared they're just enabling an idiot delusion.

Jesus, did I just describe a song? Sorry, bad form. I hate when people do that. Anyway, if I keep making songs I'll put them here. I hope I do.

There are a few older ones on that page too.

The other girls and guys here like music, dude, so I will leave that part to them, as the tailor ought to stick to his last. I default to being friends with good hearted people though, so there is that on offer. (I mean, it isn't a special power or anything, cause any mug is welcome to it, but if you were keeping count, you could add me and be one up) =]

Don't be miserable, ok, it is all in our minds. Just think, it could be worse, you could be Larry Ellison. Or as my mum is fond of saying "Your legs could have fallen off, it could be worse".

Cool! Keep posting stuf, Gwilym.

Btw I really liked the line "I promised you a promised land, cause it's important to be lied to". Good line, that.

You can thank Jim Jones for that one. He never actually said it, but he meant it.

And thank you! I shall.

And on a completely different note*, here's the soundtrack I've composed for a theatrical performance I'm doing this Friday. As you can tell by the music, it's a romantic comedy. It ends with me locked in a box and screaming and wailing in the sudden silence. It's pretty much the most fun thing ever. http://yesverygood.com/temp/megamix.mp3

* :boogie:

P.S. it's actually a horror soundtrack and my god I have to keep making horror soundtracks

my god I have to keep making horror soundtracks

I agree.

My old melodica died in a boaking accident so I celebrated the new one by playing the oldest Englishe song on record (the lyrics of which include the word 'farteth' which makes it a wondrous record of human achievement)

That is when you spend the night in a double bunk on a boat, with an aggressive girlfriend, and punish her by repeated dutch ovens, right, Boaking?.

( I am sorry to report, and also not surprising the habitually offended, by saying that my attempt at humour above made me giggle and fall out of my seat. )

• Upvote 1

hehe I'm revisiting old songs from my super-prolific period in 2009; most of them I find too tongue-in-cheek now but I still think this one holds up:

If I redo it I'll have to include John Constantine in the ending montage; he does this about a million times

• Upvote 1

And on a completely different note*, here's the soundtrack I've composed for a theatrical performance I'm doing this Friday. As you can tell by the music, it's a romantic comedy. It ends with me locked in a box and screaming and wailing in the sudden silence. It's pretty much the most fun thing ever. http://yesverygood.com/temp/megamix.mp3

* :boogie:

I fucking love this right here. Not enough likes in the world for it.