Demon Chas08

Revisitations Special: What did John do next? (What If?)

Say the Milligan era never happened (I know most of us are) and what you believe our boy did next?

it's like our equivilant of The New Adventures novels or the but without a certain balding mustached twat sticking his ore in for the sake of his twisted rendition of nostalgia and iconography.

I would not like to predict what any writer would do for three or four years on a comic, but if we're just suggesting writers who might have done a better job than Milligan a few spring to mind. Starting with the most obvious:

John Smith

China Meiville

Darko MacCann

Denise Mina

Alan Grant

Pat Mills

Followed by non comic booky writery types:

Ramsey Campbell

Kim Newman

M John Harrison

I would not like to predict what any writer would do for three or four years on a comic, but if we're just suggesting writers who might have done a better job than Milligan a few spring to mind. Starting with the most obvious:

John Smith

China Meiville

Darko MacCann

Denise Mina

Alan Grant

Pat Mills

Ramsey Campbell

Kim Newman

M John Harrison

Pat Mills is an interesting choice. Seeing I've been familar with his Doctor Who works

He has a lot more than just Dr. Who!

Check out his Slaine and Nemesis from 2000 AD as his best work.

The thing is, though, these are all great writers...but so was Milligan. So, there's no way to gauge what may happen. Who expected Milligan to get so bad? It could happen to any of the above names, potentially.

Be on the look-out for Milligan's next project, as he takes over Shadowman in December. I'll hazard it won't be the equivalent of Delano's run on Shadowman, just hopefully it won't end up the same way as Hellblazer when comparing Delano to Milligan!

I'd most trust Mieville, as he's at least written a John Constantine story, so there's some sense of what he'd do with the character, and it held promise.

But, then again, Milligan's first story-arc on Hellblazer held a lot of promise too....Yikes!

Ramsey Campbell would be a really good choice, as some of those short stories he was writing in the 1980s remind me more of Delano on Hellblazer than any other fiction.

• Upvote 2

I think Delano has cited Campbell as an influence more than once. Alan Moore definitely did, which is why Campbell did the introduction to the first Swamp Thing collection. Also, Campbell's novels have been getting steadily duller since the mid '90s, but the short stories are still often zingers, so a 24 page comic every month might suit him well.

As for Mills, one thing that's always distinguished his stuff is a taste for the ideologically subversive: it's all over his better comics work. For my money that makes him a good fit for Constantine.

The thing is, though, these are all great writers...but so was Milligan. So, there's no way to gauge what may happen. Who expected Milligan to get so bad? It could happen to any of the above names, potentially.

Be on the look-out for Milligan's next project, as he takes over Shadowman in December. I'll hazard it won't be the equivalent of Delano's run on Shadowman, just hopefully it won't end up the same way as Hellblazer when comparing Delano to Milligan!

I'd most trust Mieville, as he's at least written a John Constantine story, so there's some sense of what he'd do with the character, and it held promise.

But, then again, Milligan's first story-arc on Hellblazer held a lot of promise too....Yikes!

Ramsey Campbell would be a really good choice, as some of those short stories he was writing in the 1980s remind me more of Delano on Hellblazer than any other fiction.

Seeing as I've been feeling peckish for some 2000AD since last year's Dredd movie and the Big Finish audio, I aim to look into that.

MILLIGAN ON SHADOWMAN?! God help those poor bastards at Valiant...

Who expected Milligan to get so bad?

I sort of did. I never much cared for him.

Shadowman? Wow. Sure did love the Ennis/Delano Shadowman stuff.

• Upvote 1

Mills wrote quite a bit of the early Dredd (including the awesome Cursed Earth saga), so that could be a good place to start if you fancy looking into Mills' 2000AD work. The whoie of Nemesis is available in three big collections, and is a lot more consistent than Slaine. I'd also suggest that the two Savage collections, the big Ro Busters collection and all the ABC Warriors stuff to appear prior to the '90s are worth a look as well.

• Upvote 1

Mills wrote quite a bit of the early Dredd (including the awesome Cursed Earth saga), so that could be a good place to start if you fancy looking into Mills' 2000AD work. The whoie of Nemesis is available in three big collections, and is a lot more consistent than Slaine. I'd also suggest that the two Savage collections, the big Ro Busters collection and all the ABC Warriors stuff to appear prior to the '90s are worth a look as well.

Now I know what to ask the missus to buy me for Crimbo

I still think Ian Rankin would have done a good job. Simon Oliver would have been good too. I base both opinions on the fact that I enjoyed (to some degree) their previous work using the John Constantine Hellblazer character (as opposed to the insipidly dull DC Constanteen character.

I'm shallow - I like it when John says "fuck." It's similar to the giddy feeling I always get when I hear Deb use one of her myriad over uses of the word "fuck" on Dexter.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Oliver write that Chas mini-series? Where John was Charlie Sheen or some wrong shite.

And was shagging a Brazilian chick? That's the one!

Well, I meant his Books of Magic: Life During Wartime stint. I liked his John in that very much. Forgot he wrote the Chas mini. Hmmm...

Well, I meant his Books of Magic: Life During Wartime stint. I liked his John in that very much. Forgot he wrote the Chas mini. Hmmm...

That was Si Spencer

d'oh! That's who I meant. Damn it! Si Spencer. He was totally cool when Jef and I were doing the playlist--even sent us some versions of songs we hadn't considered - for example, the reason we used Linda Ronstadt's "Tumblin' Dice" instead of the Stones was because Si had her version in mind while writing that issue.

Think you DemonChas. My bad, totally. Yes, Si Spencer, please.

Maybe Nemesis is his best work, I haven't read it in decades. But Pat also wrote Charley's War, one of the high water marks of the comics medium.

In any case, Christian, you need to read his contemporary 2000AD series Defoe. There's at least one collection available. I'd be surprised if it doesn't speak directly to your beliefs, plus it's a balls-out zombie story.

It's illustrated by Leigh Gallagher, whose art is unmatched. Those two could nail Hellblazer.

... Seeing as I've been feeling peckish for some 2000AD since last year's Dredd movie and the Big Finish audio, I aim to look into that. ...

I'll email you. :wink:

• Upvote 1

I'll look for Defoe. Yeah, I haven't read any thing recent Mills has written. I wasn't even sure if he was doing any more recent work.

I think the newest comic from Mills I read was that Batman one-shot he did in the 1990s...and that wasn't a high-point of Mills career. It was pretty awful.

I can understand that one putting you off, Christian, but FFS.

Defoe (as Jason says) and the two Savage collections.

John Smith

China Meiville

Darko MacCann

Denise Mina

Alan Grant

Pat Mills

Ramsey Campbell

Kim Newman

M John Harrison

Pat Mills is an interesting choice. Seeing I've been familar with his Doctor Who works

Tell me I'm not the only person who loves Charley's War.

You're not the only person who loves Charley's War.

Pat Mills is working on a similar story to be published "in the future".

Tell me I'm not the only person who loves Charley's War.

Tell me I'm not the only person who reads my posts. :tongue: