Sign in to follow this  
Red

Sandman Overture

Anyone else reading this? I just picked up issue #1 yesterday, and it wasn't half bad. Well-written and with very nice art, even though the prehistory of Sandman seems sort of...inconsequential somehow.

I loved it. It's been so long since I read any Sandman, it's like sliding into a comfortable old pair of slippers. Really should go back and do a re-read of the old TPBs.

Which cover did you opt for?

I bought the throne/armchair version. Very cool covers, i must say.

I went with the JH Williams cover becasue for some reason, Dream's Helmet thrills me to no end.

• Upvote 1

I was a bit annoyed to look in Previews and see that there's an enhanced version of the comic being published in the months between the bimonthly publication schedule for the normal version. Can't DC save that stuff for the collection, instead of trying to sell the comic to the same people twice?

Something about making the artwork clearer with translucent lettering.

Also each issue will feature a different interview.

All that for just a dollar more! Colour me unenthused.

I went with the Williams cover as well. I think because they conditioned me to buy that one.

I got my new comics pile for the week and thought that Sandman was missing. I found that odd since it was on my pull list, but they had plenty of copies. So, I picked up the Williams cover.

Then, checking through my pile again, I saw I now actually had both covers in my pile. I didn't even notice the other cover when looking through the pile. So, I went with the Williams cover.

• Upvote 1

I liked it and will continue reading it but I was a little underwhelmed except for the great big splash page. That was some color me impressed both conceptually and artistcially. Thaty's also when I determined Williams was the absolute right man for the job. I've liked other Sandman artists more in the past but Williams was the perfect choice for this story it seems to me so far.

• Upvote 1

Maybe that's why the enhanced edition, then?

No question that Williams' art is a perfect fit for this one, though.

The so-called "enhanced" edition turns out to be like DVD extras and it's a shame that in their haste to publish, Vertigo messed up the marketing and the creation of what could have been an excellent series.

Well as long as you dont buy any of that peripheral garbage, the original work still holds up. Shame they didn't just save that for the hardcover collection.

Or even waited until the artwork for all six issues was in the can before going to press with it.

(For myself, I'm not going to buy any more single issues of this one, and will wait for the collection.)

I've been tempted to go that route too, Dog. But JHW3 and most especially Gaiman have enough goodwill built up with me that I can give them some patience.

Don't judge me, I've not read the first issue yet.

Fair enough, but buying the first two LOEG series as individual floppies pretty much killed me on doing that.

:icon_wink:

Issue #2 is currently solicited to ship on December 31st.

Issue #3 seems to be scheduled for February.

So, it seems like the book is on a bi-monthly schedule.

There's also quite a lot of manga fetish books coming out in time for the New Year, it seems....for whatever reason.

Just bought it, haven't read it yet. The big poster in the store called it a bi-monthly. Big posters never lie.

I also found cheap copies of two great HB stories; the slag one and "telling tales". I am pleased

I also bought Raymond Briggs' When the Wind Blows, and I'm surprised it took me this long to buy it

what the fuck happened to this book? it's been 6 months. is it bi-annually now? i'm afraid i've lost interest in this book and jupiter's legacy. both can fuck a jelly jar now for all i care.

I had forgotten it existed.

They wanna sell a hard cover when it's finished in 2017 I might be interested.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's absurd. I enjoyed the first one well enough, but it was a tiny, tiny snippet. A gorgeous one with an exciting ending, and I'm sure my copy of #2 is waiting at the store for me by now, but with the rate that they're coming out (and selling out), the novelty of seeing a Sandman tale unfold at roughly the same time as everyone else has completely died for me. I think I'll wait a few more years and then grab the trade. Which also won't have so many awful bloody ads in it.

Maybe Neil should return to his journalism roots for a while; get used to deadlines again. The zeitgeist on the new stories seems to be that you "can't rush great art," but that sort of sycophantic enabling completely ignores the fact that the series was a serial to begin with, and one on which he worked really goddamned hard.

I guess it's just the old genius/inspiration myth.

Of course, this is me assuming that he's just 'not writing it,' when he might actually be hard at work, and throwing away lesser results because he has the luxury of doing so.

I think that's fair. Gaiman has been on a different sort of schedule for his work for some time. Nothin wrong with that, just different.

Admittedly, I'm willing to give him a lot of leeway. He's one of the few authors, maybe the only, that I will do that for. Based on his past high quality, which is damn near everything, I can wait for it.

Then add JHW3, who has always been understandably not fast.

Then add DC not being smart and far too over-eager. They should've waited until a few issues were ready. Or just release the thing as a kickass hardcover OGN. People would still buy it!

How much is Gaiman versus how much is J.H. Williams III? Or, is it a bad combination? An author who has other priorities, mixed with an artist who takes a lot of time.

As of now, the next issue is scheduled to ship next week, but that may change before next Wednesday too.

The problem I see is that this story is pretty complex. It mixes a lot of the history of the original Sandman series within the framework of the story. It's not like it's a story that's really easy to follow being so delayed between issues. I have enough problems trying to remember the Sandman stories I haven't read since the 1990s that are being referenced. This really was made to be a graphic novel, not a monthly.

It is Gaiman though, so I want to read the issues as soon as they're released, especially since it is going to be years waiting for that collection.

It is just making the series more complicated than it should be though.

but 6 mos between issues? animals have given birth to multiple litters in that amount of time. my god, you could fill an airplane with rabbits in that time if you only had 2 to begin with.

• Upvote 1