Lou K

Alan Moore Hates Us All

A. Heathen    1,129

d840a5061915c2180dd1b3775a2c89db_normal.jpegKurt Busiek@KurtBusiek 23m

Comics fans predictably angry that Alan Moore would say something as exaggerated and casually-phrased as much of what they say daily.

2. d840a5061915c2180dd1b3775a2c89db_normal.jpegKurt Busiek@KurtBusiek 21m
    Also furious his opinions today do not match his choices from 30 years ago. How can this be? 30 years ago Spidey was the same age he is now!

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,057

I think what is a little off putting, to me anyways, is how he claims to not have read any super hero comics since Watchmen but then has his 2 cents on just what is wrong with super hero comics today. I am not sure you can have it both ways.

• Upvote 2

Christian    744

I don't know. Maybe some of us have just outgrown comics, but can't bear to let them go.

Sure, there are some good comics, but I'm always stuck saying, "Sure, that's a pretty good comic, but nothing is like it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Those comics were so good and nothing has come close to touching them since then."

Perhaps I just look back fondly on my memories of comics, and as we all know, few things can ever compete with idealized memories of the past.

Lou's point is good though. If you don't read any superhero comics and you don't like what you perceive to be the direction of superhero comics, maybe it's best to just move on, instead of deciding to speak out on what's wrong with superhero comics.

• Upvote 1

Shawn    297

Yup, he should keep quiet or come back (mend bridges) to superheroes and show us how it's done. He made his name off writing superheroes.

Avaunt    278

"Sure, that's a pretty good comic, but nothing is like it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Those comics were so good and nothing has come close to touching them since then."

Did you write that just so I didn't have to?. :blush: You so thoughtful. :boogie:

Mark    332

Is that Captain Nemo thing any good? I haven't read it yet, although obviously in Moore's case this shouldn't in any way preclude me laying into it with aggressive gusto, ideally incorporating a number of vitriolic personal attacks on the writer.

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

I found it disappointing. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's pretty average. It doesn't feel like Moore put a lot of effort in to it.

Christian    744

Ha! Did anyone look inside Miracleman #1? I hope people who bought it are fans of Mick Anglo Marvelman stories, because you get more of that than Alan Moore content. What a great start for your $5.99! I counted, and there's a total of 15 pages of Alan Moore written material.

I swear sometimes Marvel is just as stupid as DC. You also get three Anglo reprints, an interview, an essay, and some other back-matter to fill up pages.

Lou K    1,057

Yeah, I noticed that. What a rip. They also didn't credit him, really. Story - The Original Writer.

Dave    265

I think that's in the contract, Lou. He doesn't want his name on it. Im waiting on the trade for this for sure.

Avaunt    278

Never mind, we each have to live out our own choices, after all.

And, just think how that one will crisp his chocolate for him, if the re-issue becomes THE single highest sales experience of the latest age. A man can be all virtue itself I don't doubt, yet still regret finding he has inadvertently played duck'n'drakes with a fortune.

Mark    332

To Moore's credit, he's already knowingly turned down potentially huge amounts of money on a number of occasions under similar circumstances. Whatever else can be said of him (and "increasingly crotchety old twat" isn't entirely out of order...there are only so many times a man can fall out with former friends/colleagues so comprehensively as to end all contact before one starts to think that maybe, just maybe, there's a common thread between all these cases and it isn't "Alan Moore has been unlucky enough to make friends with and subsequently be betrayed by a long list of treacherous bastards with whom everyone else seems to get on fairly well"), he's repeatedly shown himself to be admirably willing to stand by his principles even at considerable personal cost.

Christian    744

Yes, it's not even like he doesn't need the money. Even though you'd expect him to have enough cash that you could say, "Maybe he has enough money and doesn't need this money", in reality, he nearly lost his house a few years ago because of owing back taxes. So, you have to give him credit, even though it's pointless. He doesn't want the mega-corporations to make money off of his name, but of course, anyone who reads comics is going to have heard of Miracleman by that Alan Moore guy by this point.