Lou K

Alan Moore Hates Us All

Gwilym    330

Variant covers just seem awful to me. Darth Vader #1 has 17 (I FIND THEIR LACK OF COMMITMENT DISTURBING) and Star Wars #1 has 35 (A NUMBER SO RIDICULOUS I CANNOT EVEN COME UP WITH A STUPID STAR WARS PUN).

They really don't think much of their audience, it seems. That press release is a similar brand of tasteless, shameless hype.

JasonT    438

No, it actually says "women of HPL". HPL is a hair removal technique.

I mean, okay, it probably stands for H.P. Lovecraft... but this is coming from Avatar... can we really be sure?

• Upvote 2

Vagabond    154

The best part about the Avatar Moore variants is the existence of a "Women of HP Lovecraft" variant. For some reason I find that deeply hilarious.

So I guess that would be Shub-Niggurath?

Christian    734

Some variant covers are rare. People spend lots of money on the variants, save them for a few months, and then turn around and sell them for ludicrous amounts of money on EBay.

"Did you think Squirrel Girl #1 was a great comic? With that lame regular cover? Well, guess how awesome Squirrel Girl #1 will be with the exclusive 'Day at the Beach' variant swinsuit cover! For only $200, you can read the exact same story, but with that exclusive cover, making you feel much better inside!"

dogpoet    442

The best part about the Avatar Moore variants is the existence of a "Women of HP Lovecraft" variant. For some reason I find that deeply hilarious.

Sonia Greene, his mum and his aunts?

:biggrin:

(I'd thought this bullshit with multiple covers aimed at collectors with too much money and space went out with the minor comics boom during the '90s: it's quite dismaying that it's started up again.)

JasonT    438

Providence issue 1: well, that was okay. Lots of panels of people walking around in silence. Most boring cover of 2015. The twist reveal was so familiar, I figure it was intended to be inevitable rather than shocking. I'm on board for issue 2.

A. Heathen    1,125

That's why there were so many covers.

I got the one with the chap sat near a window.

There was a twist reveal?

A. Heathen    1,125

(i thought the nature of Mr Black's relationship was well-handled for a classic Alan Moore trope.

Christian    734

Providence #1-I quite enjoyed that. It reminded me of Sandman Mystery Theatre (no, not because the ending was a mystery reveal!). Somehow, I feel this should be about Charles Fort more than Lovecraft. It would make it more interesting than Moore dipping into the Lovecraftian again, that's for sure.

There was a Charles Fort mini-series from Dark Horse, but it was pretty disappointing since things Lovecraftian ended up showing up in there as well.

There are more interesting figures from early-20th century American than H.P., you know?

At least Robert Chambers got a mention, so maybe some comic fans will hunt his work down.

dogpoet    442

I dunno about that, Christian: won't anybody who's reading a Lovecraftian comic have at least heard of The KIng In Yellow, even if they've never read any Chambers? It's one of those things like Bierce that've been sort of retrofitted into the canon since Lovecraft died. Chambers certainly gets bigged up something rotten in Supernatural Horror In Literature, iirc.

Christian    734

I'm not sure. I get the feeling that a lot of Lovecraft acolytes (not people like Campbell or Morrison or Moore) have this idea that H.P. Lovecraft was such an incredibly original writer. I just get the idea that they feel like Lovecraft invented all of this stuff, instead of borrowed and cribbed from all these other sources.

Perhaps I'm wrong and underestimating the average Lovecraft fan...but, somehow, I have my doubts.

Personally, I first read Lovecraft when I was in high school, and outside of Poe and a little bit theosophy I came upon through Mathers, I had no idea about the different references that Lovecraft was making.

dogpoet    442

There is that long essay on horror fiction he wrote listing his references and influences, and introductions to a lot of the collections citing his debts to Dunsany, Machen and Bierce (among others), though. I'd have thought that was pretty hard to miss? I take it wasn't the August Derleth anthologies you read first if none of that was in there?

Christian    734

Nope. The Del Ray collections.

A series of nice mass-market paperback collections that contained the entire stories of H.P. Lovecraft at a cheap price and that you could readily find at any local bookstore.

dogpoet    442

Fair enough.

The three Derleth collections and the occasional reprint of The Outsider And Others in charity shops were the only Lovecraft collections you could get over here for a long time. It's easy to forget that he was probably in print in other editions over there.

:wink2:

(Those Del Rays sound pretty cool, if I'm honest: it was a long time between me reading those and a couple of "everybody else who does Lovecraft" collections before I read any of his stuff that wasn't in the Derleths, and that's some of his best stuff as well. Cool Air and In The Vault for a start...)

Christian    734

Yeah, they were great collections, if you wanted to read all of his stories. Those were the only Lovecraft books available in print here during the 1980s.

I think some of the Derleth books, which the publishers made sure to put H.P. Lovecraft's name on in big letters, even though they were written by Derleth, were also available. I remember picking up a copy of The Watchers Out of Time off the shelf, right next to the Del Ray Lovecraft editions.

Lou K    1,054

Wearing that fellas head as s bracelet was a nice touch. Did that one have The Admonisher in it?

seventhcircle    580

yep and yep. the intro to the tpb was also the awakening in hell by this child killer within the ice cream truck (which i only know about because i watched the hbo series ^^). i have no idea why this would be related to the violator series, but whatev.