Lou K

Alan Moore Hates Us All

dogpoet    443

A new More/O'Neill ongoing series has been announced by Avatar. Amusingly, the solicits insist that none of the series will be collected before 2018, in what seems an aggressive attempt to sell the title as floppies. I find myself curiously disinterested, if I'm honest.

Lou K    1,054

^ I hadn't realized they put out 3 Nemo books. I think I've only bought the one.

Christian    735

I only read the first one, as well. I wasn't that impressed by it, and the next two didn't sound as interesting as the first, so I skipped them.

St. Apathy    140

I think I read a bit of that, some suspect fish-fucking in there - right ?

Fish rape, actually.

dogpoet    443

The Fish Rap was the first single by Big C and the Deep Ones back in 1932...

(Nah. I got nothin'.)

• Upvote 3

seventhcircle    580

it was just horrible and i don't mean it was horrifying because it was a well played out episode of terror, it was simply boring. there is nothing worse an author could do with putting rape in his work and then do it boring.

Christian    735

Yeah. It was quite bad. He's doing a much better job of using Lovecraft in a fictional story with Providence. I highly recommend it, due to how much of Lovecraft Moore is leaving out of this one. There's just nothing positive to say about Neonomicon.

Gwilym    330

Neonomicon was shit. I hope that at some point someone will let Jacen Burrows do his glorious nudity without it being used for prurient shock value. That bit seemed promising until it turned into a never-fucking-ending rape scene. Also, the pervs = rapists thing is like Ennis-level schoolboy bullshit, only without the Ennis-level schoolboy bullshit that makes his stuff entertaining. And the way those scenes were intercut with quotes about HP Lovecraft being scared of sex just read to me like LOOK HOW MUCH BOLDER I AM, which retroactively marred a lot of his other work (actually, this happened with Ennis too).

And "you're a nun, see, Asian Merry?" may be the stupidest thing anybody has ever written, in any context. It's at least the worst application of the misheard dialogue gag. I mean, fuck, read some Cuthbert Calculus, Alan. Get the basics right before you try to tackle the big words.

Christian    735

Providence continues to be one of the best Lovecraft inspired comic book series, or the polar opposite of Neonomicon. I got all excited when the Tillinghast airship got a mention in the latest issue (#8). As I said at the beginning, this could almost be a Charles Fort homage, as well as a Lovecraft homage. Fort deserves far more attention, it doesn't always have to be Lovecraft in these early-20th century comic stories.

dogpoet    443

Wow. Now there's a side of Moore as a writer that's been thin on the ground since the turn of the millennium, isn't it?

Christian    735

Buy it! It's great! It's nothing like the awful Neonomicon. It's one of the best Lovecraftian tie-in books I've seen, because it's far more than being about writing a pastiche of Lovecraft.