Lou K

Alan Moore Hates Us All

dogpoet    463

Does anybody know how Alan Moore connects to Peter Whitheead? Just got hold of one his ground breaking, massively original, unprecedented, etc novels (The Rising, published in 1994), and it seems that Moore hasn't just blurbed it, he's also provided the cover art (with Melinda Gebbia). I wondered if there might be some connection there besides Moore fancying some quick money for a collage as I thought he'd quit doing illustration completely thirty odd years ago.

seventhcircle    584
3 hours ago, Lou K said:

Have you read The Courtyard?

if i am not mistaken it's part of my tpb of neonomicon. i iked the courtyard actually, apart from the dream-pictures (especially the 2nd one is composed so badly, all three of them look so naive).

Christian    752

Oh yep, it looks like the collection of Neonomicon also includes The Courtyard. That's nice of Avatar, so fans don't feel depression after spending all that money on a series like Neonomicon (too much of that was going on with us buying the individual issues). They get to read a good Alan Moore Lovecraftian story also. If you already owned the Courtyard before you bought the Neonomicon collection though....

dogpoet    463

Or read it as a seven page prose story back in '94?

Christian    752

Yeah, but there ain't any pretty pictures in that thar book!

Well, there are nice illustrations throughout the book, but it's a prose story, is my intent.

dogpoet    463

As which it works a bit better, without a load of padding to stretch it out. :tongue:

dogpoet    463

Peter Whitheead's Moore-covered novel isn't bad. Amusingly though, it uses holography as its central metaphor in order to tie together some occult stuff with some theoretical physics. Of course, it was published in 2004 before Morrison began describing our reality as the holographic field generated by a couple of other places intersecting in book two of the Invisibles. I wonder if Moore would have been so keen on blurbing and illustrating Whitheead's novel if he'd known Morrison was using the same bit of pseudoscience to underpin his own plotline?

Christian    752

Since the idea existed outside of Grant Morrison, I can't see Alan Moore having a problem with it. He never suddenly decided to repudiate Aleister Crowley, Jack Parsons, Robert Anton Wilson, or H.P. Lovecraft just because Morrison considered them influences too, after all.

The idea has been around since, at least, Philip K. Dick, and has its roots going all the way back in Gnosticism (although they obviously didn't have the same terminology).

dogpoet    463

Moore just seems to have a problem accepting that anything Morrison does isn't ripped off from his own work. I'm surprised you've not noticed that.

:tongue: