Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Comics this Century

Which year produced the best comics this century? Which year produced the most good comics this century? Which was the worst year in comics this century? Which was the best comic this century? Which was the best publisher of comics this century?

I tried to be all inclusive but it's pretty fucking hard to do it. Write in your candidates if they weren't listed. This stems from a conversation at the comic shop between myself, the guy behind the counter, the store owner, and 3 very stupid and uninformed DCU reboot fans.

Edited by A. Heathen
Thread rebooted because of quibbles.

A lot of this is just too hard to really say. Comics aren't neatly divided by years.

Like with Marvel, we had the Jemas-era followed by the Quesada-era and then the Marvel NOW-era.

I mean, it's easy to say that DC has been having the shttiest of years since the New 52 started.

For best comc, I have to say Promethea (conspicous by its absense), unless the book has to have started within that time period, which would be wrong, becausr Promethea wasn't that great until after the year 2000, at which point it pretty much blew away everything published since The Invisibles.

For

• Upvote 1

For best publisher, it's also hard.

Image has been so strong for about the past 3 years, but I hardly had any interest in them before that.

Dark Horse has been really strong in some ways (like Mignola), but weak in others.

I like Marvel pretty consistently, but other companies have hard stronger titles or years, but not necessarily line-wide.

Typing on a tablet is fucking hell!

It's a shame that the "New 52" bullshit has fucked up DC's claim to this one, really. Even with the fuckawful Fables intervention, the Untitled has a very strong claim to being the single best comic since the turn of the millennium, and Scalped, Y, All Star Superman, 7 Soldiers and 100 Bullets weren't too shabby either.

Man, far too broad a timeline. I don't know. But Vertigo used to be great while Hellboy has been consistently so. Image is utting out some great stuff right now and so is Dark Horse. Can't decide.

Dog-"The Untitled"? Is that a super-secret comic series? he he he

Yeah, thinking about it more, Lucifer ranks second for best series, still not beating Promethea....but neither is listed anyway.

All-Star Superman would probably get my nod for third place.

Promethea and Lucifer both started a bit before 2001, Christian, and didn't stick around for that long afterwards, so maybe that's it?

I've just thought of another that's missing from the ticklist: Guardians Of The Galaxy. Not the current not-touching-it-with-a-bargepole Bendis bullshit, but the proper Abnett and Lanning series.

Yeah, most of Marvel's best work is missing. Incredible Hercules should be on the list. A case could be made for Agents of Atlas too.

oh, you bunch of tinybrained bitches. i waggle my dicks at you!

moderator, kindly disappear this post/poll with the least amount of editorializing you can muster, please. :shrug: :wink: