Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

Comics !

i needed a vague thread for a general question. this will have to do.

is anyone aware of a comic in which memento mori is a featured plot device? or if it's even mentioned or superficially described? i was trying to recall a Hellblazer issue that did, but I couldn't. thank you ever so much!

You mean "the art of dying"? It's kind of a broad catergory, isn't it?

Off the top of my head....

There was an Image comic called Hector Plasm, which was a great comic while it lasted, the one-shot titled Totentanz was all about the concept of the danse macabre.

A lot of Jim Starlin's comics deal with the inevitability of death, and his creation of the skull faced, emaciated female personification of Death at Marvel would fit.

Most of J.M. DeMatteis' comics deal with that topic, to some extent. His run on Dr. Fate from the 1980s uses the concept quite a bit, from a more Eastern perspective.

The concept of the Bardo is used in the Deadman comic series, to greater or lesser ability.

There was a good episode of the X-Files titled Memento Mori also, but that's not a comic book.

no, specifically the victorian practice of including newly dead relatives in family pictures. dead kids, mothers who died in childbirth, etc.