A. Heathen

The changing face of comics shops

they are becoming franchises here. Lone Star seems to be winning with 4 across the duopolis, but there are 2 Keiths and the others 5 or 6 are indie.

Yeah, Lone Star and Mile High have been huge comic stores for years. There's nothing like that anywhere around here.

You need to have a well established online store to make any money at selling comics.

The store I go to is owned by a guy who is retired from General Motors. He doesn't need to make any money selling comics, it's something he does mainly as a hobby, and also because he went crazy in his younger days buying comic books and needs to get rid of all the huge inventory of comics he built up in his youth.

If he hadn't had a different job that paid good money, he'd never be able to survive with a comic store.

I've nothing but fond memories of long-box raiding from when I first started reading Hellblazer, flicking through bagged and boarded comics like I was back in school swapping football stickers....

GotGotGotGotGotGotGotGotNeed!GotGotGotGotGotGotGotGot

That said, I think it's great that people can now hop online and buy the whole lot digitally, nice to see Vertigo making decent enough progress on producing a full Hellblazer collection too - really looking forward to seeing if they bite the bullet and put the Jenkins stuff back into print.

I've nothing but fond memories of long-box raiding from when I first started reading Hellblazer, flicking through bagged and boarded comics like I was back in school swapping football stickers....

Yeah, I remember those days. I dunno if the situation now is better or not -- we can find and read almost anything we want in digital format, but does it still have the same value?

The Paul Jenkins trade begins with Eddie Campbell's 'Warped Notions' story, for anyone who didn't click Ade's link, and then through to the end of 'Critical Mass'. Should be a cracking book.

Edited by JasonT
  • Upvote 1

There's a Jenkins trade just been solicited, guvnor.

Well it's about damned time - looks like someone's finally been convinced that we need a complete Hellblazer library.

That is intersting, the impact the treade paperback has had on the back issue sales. Right on target.

I think to be successful anymore your company needs to be a three headed dragon: brick and mortar sales, online and then cons. My LCS does all three and he stays afloat while other shops are always closing it seems. Biggest draw at cons? New books. I mean, these are people whose only avenue for purchase might be the con so he gets big orders on new books there.

Yeah, I remember those days. I dunno if the situation now is better or not -- we can find and read almost anything we want in digital format, but does it still have the same value?

The Paul Jenkins trade begins with Eddie Campbell's 'Warped Notions' story, for anyone who didn't click Ade's link, and then through to the end of 'Critical Mass'. Should be a cracking book.

Yes indeed I recall those days as well. Something about the thrill of the hunt, the smell of old paper. But I am far too lazy these days and would simply just buy the trade.

The trade's more convenient to read and store, too.

And in some cases, less of a credibility-killer to own. :icon_wink:

• Upvote 1

i don't know. when you see an entire wall of books and they are all traded comics - like my friend has - it screams GEEK louder than some long boxes in the closet (like I have).